Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sun Roof Leaks In Carwash

Is it an issue with my vehicle? The seal seems good wondering if it's just too tall and too much pressure but concerning. A fair amount of water into the little aluminum channel not sure where it goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not bad, it's just when the car wash sprayer gets to a certain point over the top, it doesn't completely saturate a napkin when I clean it up and it splashes me a slight bit. I haven't been able to make it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it's not bad, it's just when the car wash sprayer gets to a certain point over the top, it doesn't completely saturate a napkin when I clean it up and it splashes me a slight bit. I haven't been able to make it to the dealer yet.
first time your pathfinder leaked like this or is it a recurring thing?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bought it recently, has happened every time that I goto the carwash (3 times). It doesn't leak under any other conditions, just wondering if it should be able to handle the carwash or not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just bought it recently, has happened every time that I goto the carwash (3 times). It doesn't leak under any other conditions, just wondering if it should be able to handle the carwash or not.
Have peoples standards slipped so low that we are questioning whether a brand new car should be able to handle a car wash without leaking?

The answer is yes, it should be able to handle a car wash... Take it to the dealer and let them know under no uncertain terms that you won't be happy until the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have peoples standards slipped so low that we are questioning whether a brand new car should be able to handle a car wash without leaking?

The answer is yes, it should be able to handle a car wash... Take it to the dealer and let them know under no uncertain terms that you won't be happy until the problem is fixed.

The sunroof isn't water tight so small amount of water to pass and over time more will make through. However, cleaning and lubricating the rubber gasket helps it to stay flexible therefore have a better seal. However, the drains are design to drain any water that get pass the gasket. so if its wet in there that's fine. However is water is over flowing in the the cockpit then you have a problem.​

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it can't handle a car wash, then it probably won't be able to handle a heavy rain storm either. I don't want to be driving down the road at night in a horrible rain storm in the first place, let alone having my sun roof leak in the middle of the experience.

It seems like something that the dealer would fix, especially since your Path Finder is so new.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed 100% it's just a high pressure situation and the right angle I don't know if any seal like that would hold. I was just giving it the benefit of the doubt and thought that I'd ask. I have never had such a tall vehicle so close to the spray nozzles in the car wash, my car would on occasion catch just the right angle that I would get lightly splashed. I just didn't want to go raising a fit at the dealership if it was just something that nothing could be done about is all. That's what the community is for to gauge wether I'm being unrealistic or not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Agreed 100% it's just a high pressure situation and the right angle I don't know if any seal like that would hold. I was just giving it the benefit of the doubt and thought that I'd ask. I have never had such a tall vehicle so close to the spray nozzles in the car wash, my car would on occasion catch just the right angle that I would get lightly splashed. I just didn't want to go raising a fit at the dealership if it was just something that nothing could be done about is all. That's what the community is for to gauge wether I'm being unrealistic or not.
well like you said in the OP its not much water getting through. You should try and replicate the leak in your drive way with a hose just to compare. But considering your pathfinder is so new, take it back to the dealer. thats what warrantys for :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
My sunroof does the same thing. I have started closing the inside cover before going thru the car wash so that water doesn't come into the car.

I have mentioned it to my dealer, who gave me the standard "Your PF is totally fine, a little water thru your sunroof is normal." How many times have I heard that statement?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, and at least for me it lands 95% in the little aluminum channel and if I wasn't concerned about where it went like if I knew that area drained or something I wouldn't be concerned at all but I'm putting up a towel when I go through to catch it and it's not much water at all but I don't want internal rust somewhere. I'll bring it up but that's kind of what I'm expecting to hear also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not certain but common sense tells me that the moonroof should be water tight and never leak.

A sunroof when closed should not leak either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If possible I would take the vehicle to another dealership and find out if they give another answer.

I have had nothing but positive experiences at Nissan dealerships.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts