Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out driving yesterday when all of the sudden my 2013 Pathfinder wouldn't shift out of park, I was finally able to get it to shift by using the manual shift release but I need to figure out what is causing it. It doesn't happen everytime I've tried to replicate it but it is a real pain! Can anyone help me out? I think it could be the **** lock solenoid or the relay. Hopefully its just the relay because that'll be easier to get at than the solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,578 Posts
Check that your brake lights are turning on.
If your brake switch is faulty the transmission (shifter) won't get the signal to release Park.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake lights are turning on when the brake is pressed. The car will shift into gear when I hit the manual shift release but it will not shift without using it. Does anyone know which relay could need to be changed, I'd rather try that first than trying to get into the center console to change the solenoid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I finally found a fix for my issue. It seems that the issue is that Nissan uses an Omron SS-01 switch rated at 100 mA to operate a Park Solenoid that draws 500 mA. In order to fix it you have to buy the whole shift assembly which is a dealer only part for ($450 + tax). I found one a reconditioned one with an upgraded switch that is rebuilt using an Omron SS-5 switch rated at 5000 mA. I paid a total of $83 dollars for a reman unit that SHOULD* be better than getting a new one. It'll be here Wednesday, I'll update after I install it. Fingers crossed it works and I don't screw up the install lol!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,578 Posts
Good to know, thanks for sharing.
I spent more than an hour going through the AV, Transmission and Brake Repair Manuals and couldn't find anything related besides two mentions to the Shift lock Solenoid (but no parts or diagrams shown).
How do you know those ratings? That is basic electronics, how could Nissan oversee that...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller I bought the part from on Ebay posted the electrical ratings of the stock part and the part that he used on the rebuild. I wish I knew, maybe they and they chose the cheaper of the 2. It seems that it has been happening to Nissan Altimas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I swapped out the reman shift assembly I bought with my existing one. It took about 1 1/2 hours to pull the center console apart and swap everything out but once I dropped the replacement in it immediately started working. So for a little bit of time and $83 dollars, I saved myself $1000 in new parts from the dealer and installation.

Here is the link to the instructions I used to take the console apart
http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfinder/2014 Pathfinder/IP.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this still an active thread? I’m having the same issue. I’ve replaced both brake switches, the shift interlock solenoid, and re-adjusted the park position lever under the solenoid (seen in YouTube as quick fix). I cannot find a reman unit. Any advice? I am mechanically capable of doing anything, but not so good at diagnosing with a multimeter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this still an active thread? I’m having the same issue. I’ve replaced both brake switches, the shift interlock solenoid, and re-adjusted the park position lever under the solenoid (seen in YouTube as quick fix). I cannot find a reman unit. Any advice? I am mechanically capable of doing anything, but not so good at diagnosing with a multimeter

this is happening to me as well - feels like faulty parts

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is happening to me as well - feels like faulty parts
You figure it out? I had this happen to me in a 2013 Pathfinder. Using this thread I tracked down the two upgraded switches with beefier resistors or whatever they are and changed them out. It worked!!!! Sort of... unfortunately, the ECU was not expecting the different electrical feedback and threw up an error on the dash that manifests itself as an iKey error. When scanning the codes it says transmission fault/ or Shift Solenoid fault. So, upgrading the switches didn't work for me.

Ive already tossed the old switches, so now Im on the hunt for a new shifter assembly. :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happened to mine 2013 SL the other day. After google on Pathfinder and Altima, I end up bought the Omron switch SS-5GL13 for $2 + $7 shipping from Allied Electronic Automation and replace the old one on lower switch. Work likes a charm with no error message on my dashboard). The upper one has a connector build in and I couldn't find the part number for it. You can use the same p/n above if you can build the cable to connect to it. In my case, I just bend the metal piece up a little bit. (Note: the gear box picture I copy from other site for demonstration so the cable color 'red' is different from mine 'green')
1600967310582.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
You figure it out? I had this happen to me in a 2013 Pathfinder. Using this thread I tracked down the two upgraded switches with beefier resistors or whatever they are and changed them out. It worked!!!! Sort of... unfortunately, the ECU was not expecting the different electrical feedback and threw up an error on the dash that manifests itself as an iKey error. When scanning the codes it says transmission fault/ or Shift Solenoid fault. So, upgrading the switches didn't work for me.

Ive already tossed the old switches, so now Im on the hunt for a new shifter assembly. :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to mine 2013 SL the other day. After google on Pathfinder and Altima, I end up bought the Omron switch SS-5GL13 for $2 + $7 shipping from Allied Electronic Automation and replace the old one on lower switch. Work likes a charm with no error message on my dashboard). The upper one has a connector build in and I couldn't find the part number for it. You can use the same p/n above if you can build the cable to connect to it. In my case, I just bend the metal piece up a little bit. (Note: the gear box picture I copy from other site for demonstration so the cable color 'red' is different from mine 'green')
View attachment 15636
This is happening to me too. I haven't gotten into the shifter area to see exactly where everything is yet... did you need to buy two of Part no. SS-5GL13? Seems like there's a lower switch, and an upper switch? You mentioned that you don't have a part number for the upper switch, so you bent the metal strip up a little? And is it necessary to switch out the upper one too? Also now that your comment is a couple months old, do you still not have any error codes? Was this a good solid fix? I'm hoping to get this fixed soon. Like most people who have commented, My brake lights do work, and I have been using a screw driver to depress the shift lock button to get the car moving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same problem with wife’s 2013 pathfinder ordered the switch you guys talk about in previous thread cost $6 plus shipping took out console and shift assembly swapped lower micro switch works great now thank u sooo much awesome find took me 1.5 hours start to finish no special tools

1 - 16 of 16 Posts