Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this....

So I started driving my 2014 PF (with 5000kms) again after leaving it in storage since May while I tried to sell my other vehicle. I started noticing the last couple of weeks that when turning left at a slow speeds there's this noise that comes on like metal to metal rubbing. It's short, not loud but loud enough to be heard above the high pitch noise from the steering pump. Doesn't seem to happen at every left turn but I suspect it depends on the vehicle's angle when turning. Not the brake neither as it happens when I have my foot on the gas. I've got a dealer appointment the next few days but I have a feeling they're going to say it's nothing as it's hard to replicate.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this exact issue on my 13 pathfinder (38000 miles), but it happens when I turn right. I also noticed that when I hear this metal grinding sound, the car doesn't accelerate if I put my foot on the gas. The best way I can describe it is like accelerating while your other foot is pressing the brakes gently at the same time. I took mine to a dealer sometime back but they couldn't replicate. I've heard this metal grinding sound about 3 times since then.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Does it feel like a boat when turning?
I had that metal grinding noise when my left strut was pretty much disconnected from the car body (hanging by a thread) - I think a good pot hole took it out. It was fixed under warranty.

At first it was a metal screeching noise but what I immediately noticed is that it felt like you were driving a boat. It would kind-of float into the turns and over bumps. Handling wasn't crisp and felt very boat-y especially at low speeds.

Or it could be just that you might be turning the wheels to the left/right too much and it is scraping the body. Try to do it going very slow - turn very hard to the left/right and see if the noise appears.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to Update this thread... I brought the vehicle in to the dealer in early December to switch to my winter tires/rims. I mentioned to them what I've been noticing and even had a number of videos which includes the noise. Went for a test drive with the shop foreman and sure enough the noise couldn't be replicated. He said his techs couldn't find anything and they inspected it while changing tires over. However the noise has not come up since that day. Hopefully that was it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you heard the noise since? I’m now hearing the same thing with my 14 pathfinder. Only while turning left at slow speed.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
715 Posts
I had a metal to metal grinding/groaning sound that sounded like it was coming from the upper dashboard on my 2019. You could only hear it during low speed maneuvers when you were turning the steering wheel from side to side.

Turned out being the front right strut bearing being bad. Dealer replaced it under warranty at 34k miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this....

So I started driving my 2014 PF (with 5000kms) again after leaving it in storage since May while I tried to sell my other vehicle. I started noticing the last couple of weeks that when turning left at a slow speeds there's this noise that comes on like metal to metal rubbing. It's short, not loud but loud enough to be heard above the high pitch noise from the steering pump. Doesn't seem to happen at every left turn but I suspect it depends on the vehicle's angle when turning. Not the brake neither as it happens when I have my foot on the gas. I've got a dealer appointment the next few days but I have a feeling they're going to say it's nothing as it's hard to replicate.

Thoughts?
Could be the CV joint or be a ball joint, try getting someone to help turn the steering wheel left and right and you visibly look and hear for that pop, good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts