Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so my '22 with about 1,800km (1,100 miles) has a loud noise that happens on cold starts. It's loud enough that 2 neighbours have approached to ask what's wrong. The car has to be sitting overnight or a full work day for the noise to be there and lasts for about a minute or just over. In the morning when I exit my underground parking and go up the ramp, it will disappear at a higher RPM but then come back as I let off the gas and then eventually go away.

If it's been sitting just a couple of hours it won't happen, if sitting for maybe 4-5 hours then it might happen but won't last long.

I took it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago but I don't think they let it sit long enough because while though they could hear it and admit it doesn't sound normal, they said it didn't last long enough to pinpoint what it could be.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy who parks beside me thought it was an oil problem too. I had originally sent them a video when I set up the appointment. Then when I was there I showed them a second. They still said they couldn't pinpoint it because it wasn't lasting long enough and they would be changing parts blindly.

I don't think the radiator fan was on and the air conditioning was off.

Off topic but when I was at the dealer another '22 was in there getting a new timing chain 😕.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
From my laptop's speakers, that youtube clip sounds like a rod knock or some type of mechanical knock. I don't notice anything fade away, it's the same sounds the whole clip (from my speakers).

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's right, the sound lasted the entire clip. It fades away after a minute or two. Maybe I should start to time it.

If it was a rod, would that go away after that minute?

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder SL
109 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That's right, the sound lasted the entire clip. It fades away after a minute or two. Maybe I should start to time it.

If it was a rod, would that go away after that minute?
Wow - this noise is disturbing.
I don't think a bad/bent rod issue would disappear on it's own.
I am also thinking the oil isn't getting to the top end on a cold start.
Could it be lifter noise?

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder SL
109 Posts
Sounds like lifter / camshaft noise, could also be timing chain tensioners, definitely not right.

What is the Build date on the label at the door jam ?
I am thinking possibly a lifter noise too. If it's more than one lifter - the noise could be excessive!
Just adjusted all 16 lifters on the '38 Chevy (see avatar) - all the lifter noises quieted down completely. Now the engine is humming!!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,478 Posts
I'm pretty certain there are no lifters or hydraulic lash adjusters on these VQ35's. The cams sit directly over the valve stems. You adjust valve lash by replacing shims or buckets, which basically no one ever does, nor is it needed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Another possible is exhaust manifold leak at the cylinder head, the aluminum head with steel bolts expands when it's hot & noise goes away, but cold start up a tiny leak makes a tapping sound till it gets hot, expands and closes the gap. Had this happen on my Hemi 5.7. Just my experience with start up tapping on a relatively new vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Pathfinder
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help so far everyone!!

Sounds like lifter / camshaft noise, could also be timing chain tensioners, definitely not right.

What is the Build date on the label at the door jam ?
March '22. We put in our order last Aug or Sept and waited 9 months to get it.

I'm pretty certain there are no lifters or hydraulic lash adjusters on these VQ35's. The cams sit directly over the valve stems. You adjust valve lash by replacing shims or buckets, which basically no one ever does, nor is it needed.
Oh wow thanks for letting me know. A lot of thing's I've read said lifters, but those searches weren't specific to a '22 Pathfinder.

Another possible is exhaust manifold leak at the cylinder head, the aluminum head with steel bolts expands when it's hot & noise goes away, but cold start up a tiny leak makes a tapping sound till it gets hot, expands and closes the gap. Had this happen on my Hemi 5.7. Just my experience with start up tapping on a relatively new vehicle
Ok, thanks for that. I'll see if I can poke around and at least have a better idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts