Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2014 Pathfinder S with the basic stereo/no navigation. Of course my wife isn't happy with that. Can I get the upgraded stereo/navigation touchscreen from a junkyard or used and install it in place of my basic stereo setup? Will I need a different wiring harness, or has anyone put an aftermarket stereo in (which I hate, but just asking). Please let me know, thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
No that’s a pioneer 4400 nex dvd/ navigation receiver and with the dash kit and wiring harness it’s plug and play other than having to connect the two harnesses together in the back of the radio

2016 pathfinder s

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only three one I have is when the stock radio was torn out and the new one was sitting in the center waiting to go in

2016 pathfinder s

·
Registered
219 Posts
How do you control the climate etc with all the buttons removed for that screen?

Or do you use the touch screen?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The S trim level does not require/have a touch screen for any climate control. There is an old-style orange "dot-matrix" display for temp and fan levels, as well as clock and radio information. With the stock radio removed, the display still shows climate control, but doesn't show any radio info.
I've been tempted to do what Jburgess has done wish a basic CarPlay receiver, but haven't pulled the trigger. Wife isn't sure she wants the screen that low. I would love to install it up high where the usual touch screen goes, but from my research (and on another thread here) it looks like a LOT of modification to get a double-din head unit to fit up there. Decisions, time, and budget are all factors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The S trim level does not require/have a touch screen for any climate control. There is an old-style orange "dot-matrix" display for temp and fan levels, as well as clock and radio information. With the stock radio removed, the display still shows climate control, but doesn't show any radio info.

I've been tempted to do what Jburgess has done wish a basic CarPlay receiver, but haven't pulled the trigger. Wife isn't sure she wants the screen that low. I would love to install it up high where the usual touch screen goes, but from my research (and on another thread here) it looks like a LOT of modification to get a double-din head unit to fit up there. Decisions, time, and budget are all factors.

There is a kit that moves the screen up to where the dot matrix screen is. I have been looking at it but I haven’t pulled the trigger on it

2016 pathfinder s

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is what it looks like after you do the upgrade with the dotmatrix screen

2016 pathfinder s
I'll have to show this to the wife. That looks very clean. Good job!

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,581 Posts
For me, the controls are too low to be able to operate safely while driving unless there's a way to select options through the steering wheel.

Reactions: jman

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you upgrade the speakers?

My 2017 SL (non-bose) has pure crap speakers... and I cannot seem to find 2ohm replacements. If I go 4ohm, I've been told the volume will drop significantly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks for the detailed replies guys! I found that stereo on Amazon, about $500... But if it plugs right in, that will be easiest. Has anyone gotten a factory upgraded GPS/radio unit and upgraded with that? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you upgrade the speakers?

My 2017 SL (non-bose) has pure crap speakers... and I cannot seem to find 2ohm replacements. If I go 4ohm, I've been told the volume will drop significantly.

Yes the speakers were upgraded probably past a sane level it’s close to a full competition audio in it

2016 pathfinder s

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow thanks for the detailed replies guys! I found that stereo on Amazon, about $500... But if it plugs right in, that will be easiest. Has anyone gotten a factory upgraded GPS/radio unit and upgraded with that? Thanks again!!

Have not gotten the gps with it cause it’s a separate module. Mine just switches to the gps on my phone when I use it

2016 pathfinder s

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes the speakers were upgraded probably past a sane level it’s close to a full competition audio in it

2016 pathfinder s

Did you upgrade the speakers before getting the new head unit? Which speakers did you get?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did upgrade the speakers I used prv Brazil audio I had to do some custom fab to keep the magnets from sticking to the metal cause they were so big

2016 pathfinder s

1 - 20 of 31 Posts