Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to black out the 22 Pathfinder. I used gloss black 3M 2080 (I think they introduced it in 2019) which is supposed to be an upgrade to their 1080 series. it has a transparent protective layer on the surface over the gloss vinyl, which I found to help when installing it, as I could use the micro squeegee to smooth it out and tuck it without worrying about messing the vinyl.

I purchased a cutter with a 30 degree blade and a set of micro squeegees to give it a shot. I did a test strip on one of my older vehicles and it came out okay but wasn't perfect as I had to keep pulling it and stretching it. I did some more research online and saw a few forums saying a set of vinyl applicator gloves would help in applying the vinyl. I wasn't sure if this was just a selling gimmick, but I decided to order a pair. I was shocked at how easy they made doing the vinyl. I was able to stretch it and not have it stick to my hands.

I also used some painters tape above and below the window trim to help with removing the vinyl and stretching it.

Here are few pictures of items I used and some of the finished product. It was actually easier to do then I had thought. The gloves and painters tape helped tremendously. As I trimmed the vinyl I kept breaking the blade off for a fresh blade (probably overkill). I am going to get the black grill soon and ordered the black Pathfinder lettering for the rear.

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some experimenting on the rear reflectors since the weather dropped into the 70's finally. I went with the light smoke, since the dark smoke was too dark for my liking.

I used the VViViD Air-Tint Headlight/Tail Light Window Tint. Found it online for $10 a roll. There is plenty left over to test it out on other projects.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Hood Light

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Fixture Composite material

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Wood Rectangle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts