Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. My 2016 SV has developed a funny one that two mechanics have not been able to work out. For background:

• bought at 79k miles 6 months ago
  • good service history, I've had all the work done that was unclear or pending
  • I tow a 3500lb travel trailer fairly often
  • currently at 86k
When starting the car for a minute or two, or accelerating when I'm in the range of 1500-2000 revs only, I get a (not super loud) squeal from the engine compartment. First thought was serpentine but it's in top shape and no issues there. Note that squeal is constant not intermittent if the car is in that rev range. Second thought was PS pump as the start up whine sounds like what people describe, but it's odd that it goes away and then comes back only within that rev range only... Right?

I've taken it to two shops and they can't work out anything wrong, but it is definitely slowly getting worse. Emphasis on slowly. The sound used to be almost inaudible outside the car, then it progressed to only being inaudible inside but if you wound down the windows you could just hear it, now it's audible inside with the windows up. Again it's not crazy loud but it's there and I'm all about fixing stuff before it gets bad/more expensive.

I don't have the skills to check this out myself, but I also don't have the bank account to keep going to mechanics and paying diagnostic time that results in no fix. Hoping someone here might have some ideas of what I can get checked out - point my mechanic to?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Serpentine belts sometimes look fine but they might have lost elasticity or be stretched, they are made of rubber and rubber hardness over time.
If your belt is stretched, there is an indicator on the belt tensioner, check that.
From the repair manual:

Checking Drive Belt
WARNING:
Inspect and check the drive belt with the engine off.
1. Visually check entire drive belt for wear, damage or cracks.
2. Check that the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator is within the possible use range.
NOTE:
• When new drive belt is installed, the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator should be within the new drive
belt range.
• Check the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator when the engine is cold.
3. If the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator is out of the possible use range or drive belt is damaged, replace
drive belt

I suggest you replace it before chasing rabbits, it is a cheap fix and it might be the issue.

While you are replacing it, spin every component (alternator, ac pulley and tensioner) to verify they spin freely. If you find any resistance, that could be your culprit.

There is a note in the manual, share it with your mechanic if it is not a Nissan dealer:

CAUTION:
• Do not loosen the drive belt auto-tensioner pulley bolt. (Don't turn it counterclockwise. If turned
counterclockwise, the complete drive belt auto-tensioner must be replaced as a unit, including
pulley.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue as well and it is driving me nuts running it down. Replaced the serp belt, pulled all the brake pads and replaced. It is constant around 1500 RPM. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops. Only does it while driving and can't replicate with it in the driveway. I found one heat shield band broken and replaced it around the exhaust but still no luck in finding the culprit. Anyone have any other ideas? Other than this squeal the performance of the car is great, no whatever is making the noise is not effecting performance, yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 and having a similar issue. I have also recently replaced the serpentine belt, tension, and brakes, and the the noise is still there.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
I may have missed it, but does this noise only happen when the vehicle is in motion?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts