Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
can someone plz explain the function of the sport button and does it help in speeding up the take off from zero?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i don't think that feature is on the pf, i've seen it on the rogue and it just gives you increased rpms, nothing serious

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is no sport button. The only button on or near the gear shifter is to turn overdrive on/off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Pathfinder does not have sport mode. The button on your gear shift is to turn off overdrive when you are driving, for improved engine braking. When in the off mode, the "O/D OFF" light is lit on your instrument panel. It's also in your manual, page 5-17.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Image: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder 2WD 4-door SL Gear Shift, size: 1024 x 768, type: gif, posted on: January 10, 2013, 10:32 am - MotorAuthority

guys plz check the above pic its on the gear left side
i own 2013 nissan pathfinder and when i bress this botton a sport word showsin the driver screen
I just checked mine and its for the Overdrive as Brad stated. I have a yellow indicator that shows O/D Off in the speedometer display. This is confirmed in the manual on pages O-9, 2-16 and 5-17 which shows the picture you attached. I have the Platinum so unsure if its different for the SL but aren't they the same engines and CVT?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
i don't think that feature is on the pf, i've seen it on the rogue and it just gives you increased rpms, nothing serious
So it's just something for more power at lower RPM's?

Might be a good thing for people driving on trails or even just in need for more power driving in the city, I can see this being used a lot in area's that have a lot of hills.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Okay now I'm interested. Mine just like everyone elses just says O/D Off. I noticed that your vehicle is all metric. Is this something that wasn't offered for the US Market?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way i live in dubai in the middle east, ,and my pathfinder is made in the USA, and as you can see my car have sport mode,,when i press it the RPM jumps high and the car becomes more lighter

·
Registered
198 Posts
That would explain it. All Pathfinders are built to meet each country's own
requirements. Looks like your country uses sport mode instead of O/D.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So it's just something for more power at lower RPM's?

Might be a good thing for people driving on trails or even just in need for more power driving in the city, I can see this being used a lot in area's that have a lot of hills.
Not more power at lower rpm's, it just keeps the rpm's higher providing more power, or engine braking.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Not more power at lower rpm's, it just keeps the rpm's higher providing more power, or engine braking.
makes sense, I guess it might also help if we were able to see a power chart that tells us at what RPM`s the PF is making good power at.
engine braking helps, especially if you need to come to a quick stop in the winter and want to lessen the chance of you rear-ending someone,.

·
Registered
33 Posts
More lighter? That's one heck of a button. Hahah
Most European countries where PF is offered has Sport instead of OD.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sooo.. this sport mode is basically over drive right?

·
Registered
234 Posts
hi all
can someone plz explain the function of the sport button and does it help in speeding up the take off from zero?
The US models don't have SPORT Mode. The JX does have a sport mode and all it does is simulate a normal transmission shift "feel". So, if you don't like the feel of a CVT and the way it "shifts", then sport makes it "feel like" a normal transmission.

The button on the gear shift is for Overdrive in the US cars. In non-US models, it is called SPORT but does the same thing as "overdrive" in the US.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The US models don't have SPORT Mode. The JX does have a sport mode and all it does is simulate a normal transmission shift "feel". So, if you don't like the feel of a CVT and the way it "shifts", then sport makes it "feel like" a normal transmission.

The button on the gear shift is for Overdrive in the US cars. In non-US models, it is called SPORT but does the same thing as "overdrive" in the US.
What you meant to say is North American cars don't have sport mode, since Canada also uses overdrive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, different markets, different function of the gear lever switch. Not the same function as the JX afaiu. My Sport button seems to let the CVT keep the RPM higher, either for better throttle response at acceleration or increased engine breaking, ie downhill driving. I find it only useful for the latter, as at acceleration the torque peak tends to come at a lower rpm, not higher...

My understanding for the O/D function is to make the CVT lower the RPM at higher cruise speeds, for better mileage and lower niosy. With O/D off, the RPM will be higher for quicker cruise acceleration, but I understand O/D and Sport will work at different speeds, one at lower speeds (Sport) and higher speeds (O/D) ??? Or maybe it's the same thing, just in Europe metric markets, no-one really knows the term O/D ?

It is all a software programmed CVT function anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello ... I have 2013 nissan pathfinder and there is sign in the display sport ... but I did not find any button to turn it on ... do you know how to turn on sport mode ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts