Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 pathfinder v6 4wd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a similar year Pathfinder to mine 2014 - 2016. She had a tire going flat and attempted to lower the spare and it would not work. Apparently, the mechanism is rusted such that it will not lower. I jacked up the car and plugged the tire as a temporary fix. She took to local Nissan dealer and they quoted a price of almost $2000 to replace mechanism! I checked my pathfinder and the lowering device works correctly. I would caution that you should check operation before going on a trip and possibly spray lubricant on device to under car to maintain operation. If you live in area where salt is used on the roads or car came from such an area if it is used, be careful.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Pathfinder (SL) FWD
219 Posts
Ugh.. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Good tip!

Probably not practical, but it would good to see a pic of what the rusted mechanism looks like for comparison. Odd that an external component designed for that use would rust to the point that you can't use it (under normal conditions), being a critical component in case of roadside emergencies. Has your neighbor pleaded her case with Nissan directly?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,541 Posts
If you live in the rust-belt, any of these winch style spare tire retainers will rust up solid if you don't exercise them every so often.

A 2 grand quote to replace? Good Lawd...

I just looked, a replacement spare tire carrier assembly is $114.79 from RockAuto.

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Pathfinder (SL) FWD
219 Posts
Agreed and why I was wondering about the quoted amount too. Surely it's not that complicated to replace, unless they're saying there's excessive rust underbody and they need to replace other components.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,541 Posts
On something like a Pathfinder, loosing the spare tire on the fly can/will rip the arse-end off the vehicle as it spits itself out.

It's real easy to exercise the spare tire carrier. I forget the size of the socket you need to spin the nut in the rear hatch area to lower/raise it, but all you need is socket, extension and a ratchet. Lower it, lube the cable and works while the tire is lowered, maybe spray the 10lbs of dirt and sand that built up in the spare tire wheel, then crank it back up.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You'll have to keep it clean from the beginning if you want it to work when you need it. This is the case on all vehicles with this type of set up. I've had to cut more than a few out before.

·
Registered
2019 Pathfinder S, 2002 Pathfinder SE 4x4
70 Posts
Good idea, I will check my '19 Pathy, but it doesn't rain in California ;) Recently had to lower the spare on my '02, worked, oiled the mechanism with motor oil and it worked much more smoothly.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wow, that's amazing that it worked in your 02. No chance of that in the rust belt. When traveling out west or south, it's crazy to see all of the older cars still on the road. They just don't exist here because the frames eventually get too bad and end up getting scrapped.

You could request your shop give it some toots of lube when you go in for service, but I'd definitely exercise it for the long run. I've never replaced the mechanism before, but it might be a real chore. I believe you raise ad lower it with just a 3/8 extension if I remember correctly. Or the erector set that comes with the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts