Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have a 2015 Pathfinder, which we love. About a month ago it started making a rattling, almost metallic noise near the rear passenger door area. It doesn’t seem be bump related. Sometimes it will stop for a little bit. It does it at almost any speed, but most noticeable at highway speeds... even on smooth roads. Seems to come from the bottom area of the rear passenger door. I have checked everything I can think of, and even had the door panel off. Ive checked heat shields, exhaust, door latch, body moldings, etc. It is definitely something vibrating, rattling, not drivetrain related in anyway. It is making us crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions? We would be very appreciative of any input. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
This prior post may provide some clues:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello,

We have a 2015 Pathfinder, which we love. About a month ago it started making a rattling, almost metallic noise near the rear passenger door area. It doesn’t seem be bump related. Sometimes it will stop for a little bit. It does it at almost any speed, but most noticeable at highway speeds... even on smooth roads. Seems to come from the bottom area of the rear passenger door. I have checked everything I can think of, and even had the door panel off. Ive checked heat shields, exhaust, door latch, body moldings, etc. It is definitely something vibrating, rattling, not drivetrain related in anyway. It is making us crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions? We would be very appreciative of any input. Thank you.
What trim package do you have...the reason I ask is that on the 2013 SL the SL at that time had the outside crome trim on the bottom of the doors. My would make a rattling noise when doing 100 km / 60 mph or faster. it took me a long time to fiqure it out so I ended up putting tiny wedges and shim with a drop of crazy glue between the crome and the door at the bottom so it would not be seen but it fix the problem...a bit unorthodox but it worked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We were driving down the interstate in my 2017 and someone ran over a piece of a blown tire and threw it in front of us. We had no choice but to run over it and it hit the bottom of the Pathfinder. After that there was an intermittent rattling that took me forever to find the cause. The small deflector in front of the rear tire was cracked and the airflow was making the crack open up and when it comes back together it makes an almost metallic sound like you describe. You might check that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The small deflector in front of the rear tire was cracked and the airflow was making the crack open up and when it comes back together it makes an almost metallic sound like you describe.
Mine came loose as well and was making a rattling sound but Nissan fixed it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2014 SV with the same problem. Been chasing it two years. Drove around for two weeks with painters tape all over the car holding trim/molding/etc. in place. Tried the heat shield, tried the mud flaps . . . nothing. I would love for my friends here to figure this out, b/c I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2014 SV with the same problem. Been chasing it two years. Drove around for two weeks with painters tape all over the car holding trim/molding/etc. in place. Tried the heat shield, tried the mud flaps . . . nothing. I would love for my friends here to figure this out, b/c I'm out of ideas.
UPDATE: I may have found it. I printed out this thread and the one referred to by JayArras above, then just made a list and started going down it. While I had checked most of the things suggested, when looking at the mud flap again, I noticed what looked like a missing fastener. I put a bolt/nut/washer on it and after two test drives, it seems I've eliminated my rattle.

Pictures attached. It seems terribly obvious that the mud flap is intended to be secured to the car with three fasteners (there is, after all, a hole in the mud flap perfectly aligned with a hole in the frame). The driver side mud flap is also missing this third fastener - I know why - it's a pain to get one on there (likely easier if car on lift).

Y'all cross your fingers for me and let's hope things stay quiet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
UPDATE: I may have found it. I printed out this thread and the one referred to by JayArras above, then just made a list and started going down it. While I had checked most of the things suggested, when looking at the mud flap again, I noticed what looked like a missing fastener. I put a bolt/nut/washer on it and after two test drives, it seems I've eliminated my rattle.

Pictures attached. It seems terribly obvious that the mud flap is intended to be secured to the car with three fasteners (there is, after all, a hole in the mud flap perfectly aligned with a hole in the frame). The driver side mud flap is also missing this third fastener - I know why - it's a pain to get one on there (likely easier if car on lift).

Y'all cross your fingers for me and let's hope things stay quiet.
UPDATE: still no rattling on my car, so I'm happy. I checked out a buddy's 2017 this weekend and found the mud flaps installed the same way - missing that third interior fastener.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts