Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

So, what did you do to your Pathfinder today?

6K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  jman 
#1 ·
Post here anything you did to your Pathfinder, are planning to do or bought for it and want to share with the group. This is a general chit chat thread for daily activities involving our vehicles that don't fall within other threads.

#2 ·
This past weekend I swapped tires, Winter is coming !
As I usually do, I lubed the pads and caliper pins. Rear brake pads are gone, this ones only lasted 30k km (18.6k miles) so stay away from them. Raybestos MGD1391CH.

Ordered a set of Power Stop 17-905 Z17 Evolution Plus that should be arriving in a day or two. We'll see how long these ones last.

#3 ·
Yup! I have to changeover to snows soon too. Traditionally, I do both of my vehicles the weekend after Thanksgiving. In the spring, I'll have to get a new set of tires. The OEM Contis held up well I think for 65,000 miles (used only 7 months of the year). I swap out the carpets on both cars too for the OEM rubber ones.

#7 ·
I am in the snowbelt so we get pounded every year. I just did 3 cars and I was asking myself for how much longer I am going to keep doing this, plus I have storage racks way up on the garage wall so I have to carry them up there using a ladder.
I looked into the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady last time I replaced my all seasons but decided to stay with two sets. Not sure how much those new "all weathers" last.

#8 ·
I ran Nokians for years on an AWD minivan. I'd say they wear about 20% faster and are maybe 10% less capable in deep snow. But even with tire lifters, impact wrenches etc. it is way too much work. Local Nissan dealer used to do the swaps for $29.95 but even then, humping tires back and forth and back... Now it is $60 each time (plus rims, tires etc.) so I'd say not worth it. And we travel into the mountains in the winter and AW tires were just fine - even with the PF's crappy "AWD".

#13 ·
Got the snow tires on this weekend and swapped out the summer mats for the winter ones. Also gave the vehicle a good vacuuming. Guaranteed that we won't have any snow this year, lol! You're welcome!

Reactions: ERISAjunkie
#14 ·
#15 ·
#17 ·
Swapped the tires back to all-seasons, ran into a little issue after lubing the caliper pins.
I know the one with the rubber seal tends to come out on its own due to the air trapped in the cavity but this time I had to use a lot of force to compress it so I could fit the caliper. Went out to run some errands and immediately noticed the brakes were dragging. By the time I got back home and was able to take it apart again, about 1.5 mm of brake pad were gone... and on an angle...
Found that the rubber seal on the caliper pin was a bit expanded and one of the ends was flaking, most likely the edge got damaged when I forced it in. That caused the caliper to sit on an angle.
I was able to trim the seal and get an even edge again (will replace next time), verified that the pins although they were still pushed out by trapped air, moved in and out without much effort.

I've seen that many people get rid of those seals, they are meant to reduce/eliminate noise. What I am not sure is if there is a rule on where the one with the seal goes, top or bottom? Mine has those on the bottom at the front but on the upper at the back. @Tutti57 , does it matter where if the pin with the rubber seal is placed on the top or bottom?

#23 ·
After many months, I finally decided to change a DRL bulb and both parking lights.
I misread the specs and had an H11 ready to replace the DRL built into the fog... well, I was surprised with this funny PS19W light bulb that I had completely forgot about. I immediately remembered that years ago I bought some LED-PS19W's but didn't fit as they were too high. Had to put everything back together until I get the right replacement...

Since I was already at it, decided to replace both parking light lightbulbs which I had replaced with LED's years ago. Passenger side was easy as I recalled but the driver side was a pain (as I also recalled). Ended removing the negative battery terminal to get better access and then decided to clean both battery terminals and since I was at it, install some battery terminal rings and silicone lubricant I had purchased a long time ago. The challenge is to screw the socket back in place as there is very little room to hold it, I used pliers in the past but that didn't work this time. Found that was very easy after I decided to disconnect the plug connected to the socket.

Had the trunk open when the battery was disconnected and then it wouldn't close by pressing any of the buttons but it worked fine after I closed it manually.

#28 ·
At 178k km (110k miles), last night I replaced bot shock absorbers with KYB's Excel. Took me about two hours as the bolts and nuts had some rust on them and didn't want to break any, so I had to go slow.
One of the old socks was in perfect working condition, the other felt a bit weak when extending but I'd say they didn't really need replacing.

#30 ·
#32 · (Edited)
Helped my daughter move this past weekend. Towed this thing 6.5 hours each way.
19.5 l/100 km (12 mpg) loaded (ouch !) and 15.3 l/100km (15.3 mpg) unloaded. Drove most of the time at 110 km/hr (68 miles/hr).
View attachment 18856
Really not bad for a gasser. I've been monitoring my Ram diesel and under the same tow and payload would believe or not beat that by 3 mpg. loaded and unloaded.
EDIT: Not when towing my 5th wheel but when towing a utility trailer that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.