Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to use snow mode this past weekend while on some back roads with a few inches of snow. The PF just didn't want to go faster than about 24 mph. Is this normal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is likely normal. Most modes like snow or mud have speed limitations due to how the gears operate. Several cars I considered before had similar limitations.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,239 Posts
On the previous gen Pathfinder, 4x4 defaults back to FWD only at speeds around 20mph and above. I'm assuming the 2022s do the same.

·
Registered
394 Posts
@PoManzPathy Do you mean 4WD Locked back to 4WD Auto at 20MPH? I can leave mine in 4WD Auto all day long.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
@PoManzPathy Do you mean 4WD Locked back to 4WD Auto at 20MPH? I can leave mine in 4WD Auto all day long.
Yep. 4x4 mode defaults back to auto 4x4. Regardless of what mode, the rear coupler disengages at speeds ~20mph and up.

This is common operation for any front wheel drive based drivetrain that has part time 4x4 capability. It's been the norm for over 20yrs now.

Vehicles with a center differential like Subarus, etc, are true all-wheel drive and operate differently. Many people buy Pathfinders thinking they are AWD when in fact they are part time 4x4.

Reactions: eruby

·
Registered
231 Posts
can you notice when you're in 2WD vs 4x4? As soon as I put it in 4x4 I can feel a difference, almost like it's heavier.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Humm, no I don't feel any difference. Guess I need to get in some snow or mud and make sure 4WD is engaged.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
can you notice when you're in 2WD vs 4x4? As soon as I put it in 4x4 I can feel a difference, almost like it's heavier.
Not at all unless maybe trying to do a very low speed parking lot maneuver with 4x4 lock on. You might feel some steering bind.

The system is pretty keen on preserving itself and not staying engaged when it doesn't need to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here in NJ, we did not have snow yet to try a snow mode in my 2022 PF.
@PoManzPathy, I believe @steve80 is referring to wider turning radius and stiffer steering wheel once 4x4 is engaged. I noticed it too in my old 2017 PF SV that I traded in for 2022 PF.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not at all unless maybe trying to do a very low speed parking lot maneuver with 4x4 lock on. You might feel some steering bind.

The system is pretty keen on preserving itself and not staying engaged when it doesn't need to.
I can feel it when going straight on a dry day. It's annoying... almost like I dropped an anchor... I let off the gas and it pulls back a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just gave "snow mode" a try today with a fresh couple of inches of snow outside. Needless to say, I do not like it... They made acceleration much slower to avoid wheel-spin but now when I press the gas I dont know if I dont have traction or the computer is holding me back.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just gave "snow mode" a try today with a fresh couple of inches of snow outside. Needless to say, I do not like it... They made acceleration much slower to avoid wheel-spin but now when I press the gas I dont know if I dont have traction or the computer is holding me back.
I'm almost sure all these mode changes do is adjust the electronic throttle response as well as the range and speed of gear changes of the new 9spd AT.

To me it's a marketing gimmick given the design of the part time 4x4 system the pathfinder actually has. There's no torque vectoring capability or anything you'd see like that on a more advanced true AWD setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts