Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be missing something here: all major automakers are including a system for Smartphone integration in current or soon to be released 2014 models - where does Nissan stand on this? It's absolutely essential, without this Infotainment ability, very few will look at buying a Pathfinder.

For example, Kia has "UVO", Hyundai has "Blue Link" available on the extended wheelbase 7-pass Santa Fe which is newly redesigned this year. The new Durango has a similar system, available in 2 months time when the 2014 hits the market, the Highlander and Pilot will be redesigned for 2014 or 15 at the latest and will be sure to offer a big upgraded Infotainment system with Smartphone integration. With the proliferation and obsession with Smartphones, this is absolutely essential, it allows you to communicate with your car remotely with your phone, you can start the engine from anywhre in the world, get real-time readouts of parameters like engine temp., some even allow you to adjust the heater and AC settings with your phone. Your Smartphone can download and track vehicle performance information, you get maintenance count-downs and reminders, and all kinds of statistics. This is done with a simple App, and the great thing about Apps is they are always being improved on at a fast pace, so every year or two you can have vastly improved capabilities that you didn't even dream of a few years ago.

My guess is, Nissan is late to the game, but working furiously to catch up, and the mid-cyle refresh Pathfinder will have this capability around 2015 model year, just in time to compete with the new Highlander and Pilot. It's not an option, its do-or-die, Nissan knows it, and they will come through, but 2013-14 will not be the time....if any of this matters to you, wait for at least the 2015 model year, or buy the Durango this spring, which will have a European-made 8-speed tranny and efficient 3.6 V6 with full Smartphone integration.

Yes I realize that bells and whistles are not the best way to evaluate a vehicle, but all other things being equal, this is a big deal, maybe not today but after your new Pathfinder is 3+ years old, it will seem like old technology in a hurry compared to the mind-blowing tech that is coming down the pipe or already here in competitors models!!

Thoughts and Opinions on this?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't stress this enough - this is so important because while a vehicle and its options remain static/unchanged after you purchase it, Smartphone integration allows new tech features to be developed for your vehicle continously in the future by developing new Apps and/or improving and adding to existing Apps. Also you integrate the vehicle functions with Smartphone functions, making for very exciting possibilities, and Smartphones will continue to evolve at a fast pace.

So think of this as the ability for your vehicles options to continually evolve and update, rather than staying the same as the day you bought it, and feeling outdated after 5 years of ownership or sooner. Each time you buy a new Smartphone or the App gets redesigned, your vehicle is brought up to speed with current technology and its options get an upgrade too, its amazing fast-paced stuff and Nissan is missing the boat with the 2013 Pathfinder!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or perhaps this is Nissan's plan, they don't want to play all their cards at once, instead save something big for the mid-cycle upgrades around 2015-16. Currently Toyota and Honda models are aging and do not offer this high tech stuff, so consumers are not quite to the point where they are demanding it. Once the new Honda and Toy are released and the high tech stuff becomes expected, Nissan will also offer it as a refresh, and in the process seem as though they are bringing out a much-improved model every 3-4 years, rather than bringing out one big package for 2013 and have nothing left for the midcycle refresh/upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, This 2013 Nissan Pathfinder does have phone integration... it has Bluetooth music streaming / making call and answering calls via Bluetooth like other vehicles out there.

It also have Live traffic, weather info via gps nav, and one thing that many other Cars maker do not have is the awesome 360 bird eyes view parking system. I don't see it is behind time at all and in additions with it smooth CVT transmission. :)

Not just that, my 2013 pathfinder came with remote engine start too :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Who cares about being able to start my car with my cell phone. Im buying a Pathfinder because for the overall performance and the features it has. If you want to have your cell phone unlock and start your car for you...then go buy something else!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not Smartphone integration, that's Bluetooth connection technology which works with any basic cell phone.

Smartphone integration works by downloading and installing a connection application, which allows your phone to talk to the car over your wireless network, and in the case of Dodge and Hyundai's systems, you can also talk to your car over the internet as well. This means you can download a long list of information from the computer regarding performance and maintenance. You can also start the vehicle remotely from your computer or Smartphone, unlock or lock the doors, set climate controls, and so much more that we probably can't imagine yet.

The 2013 PAthfinder does not have this. Dodge/Jeep/Chryslter and Hyundai/Kia vehicles currently offer this on vehicles such as the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe and upcoming 2014 Durango.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who cares about being able to start my car with my cell phone. Im buying a Pathfinder because for the overall performance and the features it has. If you want to have your cell phone unlock and start your car for you...then go buy something else!
Exactly, well said, many people will go buy something else if Nissan does not keep up with current offerings from competitors. The Pathfinder is such a great package and value, I know they will offer these essential options in the third year, 2015, to keep up with the competition. For today, it's something worthwhile considering which is why we're discussing it on this forum. That's we forums are for, discussing details of the vehicle and comparing to competitors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For today, it's something worthwhile considering which is why we're discussing it on this forum. That's we forums are for, discussing details of the vehicle and comparing to competitors.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%.

Smartphone integration is something (GM, Dodge etc.) are adding to their line-ups in order to sell more, which is understandable. Speaking for my self, I buy for quality, performance and style. Not for some gadget I can use my smart phone on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, quality, reliability, price and comfort features are top of the line for me too.

But there are other things that are important as secondary considerations, such as fuel efficiency, and tech features. If everything about the Pathfinder was bang on I would not let one secondary item like Smartphone integration stop me from purchasing. But it is one spec in a long line that we all consider when purchasing a vehicle, and sometimes the margins are so close that it can be a little item that ultimately gives the win to one vehicle over another, if all other things are equal.

I think Dodge, Ford and GM have increased their quality to the point where they are very close to equal, if not better, than the Asian manufacturers. Quality being equal, it will come down to options and value for your money to break the tie. Toyota has historically been very stingy with options, relying heavily on its quality to bring in buyers and charging them more money for basic options that others offer on lower trim models. Increasing quality of the competition will put pressure on all manufacturers to increase those value-added options to try to retain and win more market share - basically they're going to have to work harder to win customers. Infotainment systems are a big incentive to lure buyers when all else is equal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that the other carmakers have gotten better, but there is still thing they need to work on. I'm just a Nissan/Toyota fan. I currently drive a 2000 Tundra and a 2008 FJ Cruiser and soon a 2013 Pathfinder, so the Big Three really have to impress me in order to get money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed, I drive an 08 Nissan Rogue, and while its been rough around the edges I've had no reliability issues, and maintenance costs are dirt cheap on this thing - it's designed to run forever, never leave you stranded, and not nickle and dime you death with things like electronic gizmo failure!!

It's ironic that the thing I love about my Rogue, the simplicity and lack of things that can break, is also what I've been ranting about wanting to see in my next vehicle!! All those electronic options usually just cause headaches after the warranty is up and they start breaking down. Good discussion, thank you!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Agreed, I drive an 08 Nissan Rogue, and while its been rough around the edges I've had no reliability issues, and maintenance costs are dirt cheap on this thing - it's designed to run forever, never leave you stranded, and not nickle and dime you death with things like electronic gizmo failure!!

It's ironic that the thing I love about my Rogue, the simplicity and lack of things that can break, is also what I've been ranting about wanting to see in my next vehicle!! All those electronic options usually just cause headaches after the warranty is up and they start breaking down. Good discussion, thank you!
Yup, never liked all the new technology. In the future as they start to fail and become costly to fix I think people will just pull their sensors and/or disable them.

As we all know how expensive sensors can get!

·
Registered
34 Posts
LOL, the first thing my father-in-law said when he saw the Pathfinder was 'good looking truck'. The second thing he said is 'all that electrical gadgetry is going to break someday'.

Thanks Dad.

I understand what you're saying about the integration. My personal stance is that I don't need it. I wanted a vehicle that my wife could drive without having to spend a weekend teaching her how to use everything. She is a highly distracted driver. She once got pulled over on her way home from work because the cop thought she was drunk. She wasn't doing anything but driving. Get me? There were some things I wanted it to do like the bluetooth integration, because she is going to talk on the phone- now she does it with both hands on the wheel, eyes straight ahead. The rest of it is things for her to mess up or be distracted by. Whether the Pathfinder had cell phone integration or not didn't sway me one bit.

Now, if any of you tell my wife, ON VALENTINES DAY, that I think she is a horrible driver I will deny everything and plead the 5th!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's exactly what I was talking about!! Even better, WAY better actually, that's what I meant when I said the potential here is greater than most of us are even aware of. And once you have the basic architecture in place, this can be scaled up over the years with new upgrades that no doubt will be a source of additional revenue for the manufacturers and dealerships. Every few years you go in, pay $50-100 for the latest software upgrades which updates the operating system, apps, and who knows what else!

Very nice, and if I was betting I'd say the Pathfinder will get something similar, perhaps just as an option at first, during about 3rd year refresh period, around 2015.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know. I have a Ford Flex and can do all of that stuff with Sync. But I have never really thought about using it, and I'm on my phone all the time and use it for everything. There are just not really any times when I wish I could start my car with my phone or anything like that. I go to work, pick up my kids, go home. Maybe if I was in my car all day for work it would be different, but how many people are in their cars so much they need that functionality.

I still see smartphone integration as a luxury feature, i.e not one that materially affects the function of the car. Luxury features, whether they are in a luxury car or not, are nice to have, but their utility is entirely subjective. Some people think heated seats are worthless, but others will not buy a car without them. Then again I used to think GPS was a waste of money, but I've been saved by it enough times (with detours and such in unfamiliar areas) to the point where I won't buy a car without one now. I thought for a while it would be cool to send an address from my phone to the car. But with voice directed navigation its just too easy to enter an address on your own and obviates the need in my mind.

I'm not saying smartphone integration is not worth putting into cars, as there may be some killer app for it someday soon. But it wouldn't, and didn't, deter me from buying the Pathfinder. Even if I cared more about it, there were just too many pros to outweigh that con. The way I see it is that you buy the car that's best for you at the time you need it. Nissan has been pretty good about incorporating the latest tech into their cars. I'm sure that tech will find its way into the Pathfinder in the next MY or two. If you need a new car now though, its not a deal breaker in my mind. There will always be something better coming along and if your needs change, or outgrow your car, drastically you either suck it up and deal with it or trade it in.

Honestly, I'm more upset that they left out HIDs and blind spot monitoring (that you can get in an Altima, so its not an Infiniti only feature). But even they were not deal breakers for me, as I would have had to spend about 10K more on a JX to get those features, plus everything that comes with the Platinum Premium Pathfinder. Which, for me, was not worth it.

I think the issues a lot of people will have the Pathfinder are based off expectation. If the Pathfinder only offered 50% of the JX then no one would say a word. But by being 85-90% of the JX, those differences are more noticeable. Being so close to the JX makes it such a great deal. But it also reminds people of the features they left out to distinguish the two. The fact is, for Nissan, they put so much into the Pathfinder, they had to hold back in some areas or it really would be an Infiniti. Its great for those of us who bought one, as long as we remember the reasons that we chose not to pay 10K more.

There, I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Personally I'd like to have the integration.

I think it would be nice to start your car from a distance. Say you work in an office and your parking spot is very far away. It would start the car via the phone network. You can lock and unlock your car. Locate your car via GPS (theft deterrent)

Imagine looking up a new Sushi joint on your phone and finding the address. Now send that address to the Navigation in the car.

Playing music via bluetooth from your phone to your car.

All of these thing sound sweet to me. They aren't essential but it would be nice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree, absolutely not essential, but very nice to have AND as far as bells and whistles go, very stable into the future with low cost to maintain.

In comparison, I HATE electric moving parts and consider these to be unnessary bells and whistles, like electric drivers seat, electric rear hatch, electric auto tilt/fold side mirrors, sunroof. Most people really love these options but I keep my cars for a long time, and I live in a cold climate - in winter these things run very slowly and they have a finite lifespan, they WILL FAIL at some point, the question is when. I don't want my drivers seat electric motor failing in the winter time with my kids in the car when I'm late and just need to get going, and the stupid seat won't move forward into a safe driving position. And the bill to replace these electric components is very high and shocking - I had to pay a lot to get these options up front and they cost an arm and a leg to maintain, not something I get excited about.

But computing devices, like smartphone hardware, the operating systems and applications are very stable, have no moving parts, and are infinitely upgradable (software) into the future for minimal cost.

I want smartphone integration because I keep my cars a long time, within a few years it will make huge strides and I want to have the basic architecture in place to allow me to upgrade with the times.

The chance that these things will cause problems is low there is minimal development by the auto manufacturer - Nissan doesn't need to put a lot of complex electronics in the vehicle to make it happen, all the magic is done by the Smartphone and that's the real beauty of the system, and the direction that cars will be going! No need to include complex smart electronics, just some basic ability to link to Smartphones and leverage that computing power, and continuous upgrades. New apps are developed every day, and you can buy a new Smartphone for cheap, so upgrades every couple years is a reality and the vehicle keeps right up by simply connecting to the new upgraded Smartphone system - its perfect!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts