Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... my 2014 PF has developed a problem where if I am standing still, then make a turn (like to get out of a parking space next to the curb) there is a shuddering/grinding/grabbing vibration (strong!) felt. Same for either direction turn. Happens at 10-25 kph. Does not seem to be as noticeable going strat from the start though.

CVT? Power steering (yes, I checked the fluid level - fine)? Tires? Although the tires are now 5 months old and the vehicle did not do this when the tires were first installed. And there is no abnormal wear on them.

Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Possibly a CV joint? Again, far from a mechanic. Just shots in the dark. Trying to think of items that could seize up or bogg down

2017 Pathfinder SL
Heartland Prowler 25 LX

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CV is a possibility - but it is turns in both directions. I was thinking steering rack?? Heading to the mechanic in a few minutes... will report back.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet. Tire shop says nothing out of ordinary. No leaks, etc. They think maybe differential? So off to the dealer next week!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer diagnosis: blown coupler in rear diff. Est. repair cost - $1800 CAD!! Extended warranty should cover it though.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will post when I see the repair bill. And it is now closer to 2K with tax! Zoinks!! Oh and a funny thing - warranty company will not pay for the new bolts needed to close the differential. $15 bucks. LOL

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
38761-3KA0B - Coupling Assembly Electrical. $1600 for the part alone! Plus misc. seals, breathers, fluid etc. for a total just under $2000 CAD! Thank God for extended warranty!! I have barely 75,000 miles on this thing. I can hardly wait to see what goes next!!

One thing is for certain: will be sold/traded before the warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,661 Posts
One thing is for certain: will be sold/traded before the warranty expires.
...or the warranty company starts denying your claims. :WTF:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well they already denied one - but it was only for $600. I am WAY ahead on my initial purchase cost. More than double now actually.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, and that is the worrisome part! We pretty much always drive in Auto. No offroading, no aggressive driving, heck, I only tow a boat a couple times a year. Mostly highway miles on generally good pavement. Just another POS Nissan thing like the CVT I guess!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So... my 2014 PF has developed a problem where if I am standing still, then make a turn (like to get out of a parking space next to the curb) there is a shuddering/grinding/grabbing vibration (strong!) felt. Same for either direction turn. Happens at 10-25 kph. Does not seem to be as noticeable going strat from the start though.

CVT? Power steering (yes, I checked the fluid level - fine)? Tires? Although the tires are now 5 months old and the vehicle did not do this when the tires were first installed. And there is no abnormal wear on them.

Anyone experience this?
Yes, I'm experiencing this problem now in my 2017 Pathfinder. Dropping it off at the dealers this week
it's the viscous coupling. I hope it's covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
955 Posts
Yes, I'm experiencing this problem now in my 2017 Pathfinder. Dropping it off at the dealers this week
it's the viscous coupling. I hope it's covered under warranty.
Should be covered by the standard 5yr/60K mile power-train warranty.

These aren't a viscous coupling. They're an electromagnetic clutch. It's bolted to the input of the rear differential. They have sealed bearings in them and I suspect the bearings loose their lube and go bad over time which causes the rear coupling to bind up.

Most of your smaller front wheel drive based 4x4 SUVs built over the past 20+ years have a similar setup.

I would love to see one disassembled because there has to be a way to get at and replace these bearings. If it can be built, it can be taken apart. I've seen some youtube guys do this for rear couplers on other make/models. Standard shop protocol is to replace the whole part, which I get, but it not always the best given how shiddy rebuilt or remanufactured components are today.

Replacing the rear coupler doesn't look like a difficult job, but it will need to be programmed to the vehicle once it's swapped.

In a pinch, you can remove the rear coupler and rear driveshaft and drive the vehicle as is until repairs can be made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts