Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2014 Pathfinder SL in September 2015 with 29k on it & have had no issues until last month when I noticed the dreaded 'shudder', it now has 40k miles on it. My husband noticed it several times so we took it in on Monday & they said it does indeed have a shudder, we need to work on it. It's covered under the 60k powertrain warranty BUT here's my question.... Has anyone else had the dealer come back & say the valve body needs to be replaced? If so, did that fix it?

I'm on the verge of trading after it's fixed & being done with it but wanted to get feedback from other PF owners who've been down this road.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The valve body replacement was done on the failing CVTs in the Altima and MUrano, so yeah - it's a plausible fix.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,163 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The valve body replacement has been the latest fix Nissan has applied to address the shudder issue, before that they were just replacing the whole transmission.
It appears that this fix is working (worked on mine).
Do a search using the key words "valve body".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to JayArras telling me to search here for valve, my earlier post here: http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/pathfinder-issues-problems/21553-2015-shudder-3.html#post212538) also read other posts there.

Had a 'valve fitted re shuddering Pathfinder ST (2 yrs old) was back into service in for a 'valve' which they got from Australia, for something they said was for fixing the 'oil pressure' My wife picked up vehicle today, asking where the work sheet was as to exactly what they had done she said that they were 'still filling it out' Which I will be going in to get asap...

What does this valve/oil pressure have to do with shuddering please? I am not mechanically minded at all (!) but from what I have read here & in other forums in US (car complaints.com) no one has mentioned a valve before.

OK thay's the post see link above for others comments.

So I will post our findings once we start driving with the new valve fitted. Not impressed -a huge understatement - with Nissan selling vehicles with these problems, US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand. Start posting onto social media, Facebook, twitter etc.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/..._jerking.shtml

·
Registered
9 Posts
New valve fitted

I bought a 2014 Pathfinder SL in September 2015 with 29k on it & have had no issues until last month when I noticed the dreaded 'shudder', it now has 40k miles on it. My husband noticed it several times so we took it in on Monday & they said it does indeed have a shudder, we need to work on it. It's covered under the 60k powertrain warranty BUT here's my question.... Has anyone else had the dealer come back & say the valve body needs to be replaced? If so, did that fix it?

I'm on the verge of trading after it's fixed & being done with it but wanted to get feedback from other PF owners who've been down this road.

Thanks in advance!
jdvorsky - Well we just had a valve fitted/fixed so working so far, (well it's only been a few days since we had it fitted) so I use that term 'working' with a serious twinge of doubt...the car is only 2yrs old & still under warrenty, I will be posting our experiences of driving our Pathfinder, with it's new valve here.

·
Administrator
3,163 Posts
Had a 'valve fitted re shuddering Pathfinder ST (2 yrs old) was back into service in for a 'valve' which they got from Australia, for something they said was for fixing the 'oil pressure' My wife picked up vehicle today, asking where the work sheet was as to exactly what they had done she said that they were 'still filling it out' Which I will be going in to get asap...

What does this valve/oil pressure have to do with shuddering please? I am not mechanically minded at all (!) but from what I have read here & in other forums in US (car complaints.com) no one has mentioned a valve before.
The valve body controls what an automatic transmission is supposed to do. For the CVT it would regulate how much and how fast the drive pulley opens or closes and my guess is that if it opens faster than what it should, the chain (belt) will lose tension causing it to skip or shudder... but I'm not an expert.
Here is a link that I found that provides a brief description of it: http://www.europeantransmissions.com/valvebody/cvtvalvebody.htm

I also found some people from other forums complaining about the Valve Body on their Murano's and Maxima's http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/8768-valve-body-problems.html
http://maxima.org/forums/6th-genera...smission-valve-body-cvt-extended-warrany.html
Funny to read a comment someone made back in 2007 in one of those forums... "I wonder how many failed CVT's needed just that. Let's hope Nissan/Jatco are learning.... "

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shudder Issues

I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder with 51,000 miles on it. I have had the CVT valve replaced twice already and it feels like the shudder is starting again. I asked for the entire transmission to be replaced but the dealer would said Nissan would not pay for it. I am debating whether or not to trade in the car...I am afraid on can't rely on Nissan to stand behind their product. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Dump it or buy an extended warranty. By all accounts the new >2016 have way less issues with the CVT. But there ain't no guarantees in life.

·
Administrator
3,163 Posts
I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder with 51,000 miles on it. I have had the CVT valve replaced twice already and it feels like the shudder is starting again. I asked for the entire transmission to be replaced but the dealer would said Nissan would not pay for it. I am debating whether or not to trade in the car...I am afraid on can't rely on Nissan to stand behind their product. Any advice?
Welcome to the forum.

As shared by one member, ask the dealer if they can inspect the interior of the transmission with a camera looking for any wear or scratched surfaces. If they find something, Nissan will approve the replacement.
You can also contact Nissan directly and clearly state that you will not accept an third valve body replacement as it has already been proven that that does not solve the issue and you are about to run out of warranty. If they still don't agree then demand for them to extend your warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re valve replacement I had one installed 23/9/2016 see my post above so far, fingers crossed but no shuddering since installed. Less than a year warranty left, could extend it I suppose but reading posts here & my experiences I no longer have no faith in Nissan so will eventually sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I did on my 2014 and 2015. The CVT Transmission is a BAD design. Nissan just started putting the 9-speed Transmission in the New Pathfinders. They hung me out to dry and I will have to replace the Valve Body at my expense. The CVT, that the Salesman told was the future of Transmissions, is a joke and laughed at by most Mechanics. If you are under warranty, see if they can install the 8-speed Transmission.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,237 Posts
I did on my 2014 and 2015. The CVT Transmission is a BAD design. Nissan just started putting the 9-speed Transmission in the New Pathfinders. They hung me out to dry and I will have to replace the Valve Body at my expense. The CVT, that the Salesman told was the future of Transmissions, is a joke and laughed at by most Mechanics. If you are under warranty, see if they can install the 8-speed Transmission.
Replacing the valve body is only going to work if there's no damage to the CVT internals. If it's been driven with a shudder for a long time, it's probably going to have pulley/belt scuffing.

You can't install the 2022's 8spd in a 2013-2021.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts