Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new user!

Currently drive 08 RX 350, but was in accident and looking to switch due to frame damage

My needs: Space, good in snow, good fuel (i drive 500 miles a week)

Ive been surfing the net, checking the usual suspects, but the pathfinder really stands out in its space and fuel economy

however, the transmission issues are scaryyyyy....should I buy or wait until a fix is found?

(I feel like the cvt is not good tranny for such a heavy car, the japanese makers dont seem to have the 8 speed auto trans down like the germans do)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a 2014 and have had no problems with CVT. Even 2013's I belive I read someeone wrote only 10% are affected by the issue and there are multiple TSB's out for the problem. Drive a '14 ask the dealer if they've had any CVT issues related to Shudder/Judder, and decide if it's a risk you're willing to take. My dealer said they hadn't had any PF's show up in service with the shudder/judder. I'm loving my 2014 now I just wish my wife would let me drive it more...

·
Registered
237 Posts
A Nissan dealer is not going to be honest with you about what kinds of problems they are or are not seeing in the 2014 Pathfinder. They want to sell cars. I have seen where some people in the 2014's are reporting CVT problems. It is hard to estimate how many. You have to decide if you want to risk it or wait.

Since you are coming from a Lexus, have you looked at the Infiniti QX60? It is the luxury version of the Pathfinder. In 2013 it used a different transmission from the Pathfinder and so did not suffer from the same problems. I would assume the same is true for the 2014 but I do not know for sure. Probably worth looking in to.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,773 Posts
Since you are coming from a Lexus, have you looked at the Infiniti QX60? It is the luxury version of the Pathfinder. In 2013 it used a different transmission from the Pathfinder and so did not suffer from the same problems. I would assume the same is true for the 2014 but I do not know for sure. Probably worth looking in to.
Your talking a difference of about $15,000 in base price between the two models.

For 2014 Infiniti renamed the JX35 the QX60 and gave it the 2014 Pathfinder transmission. So odds are you'll have fewer problems with a JX35, but who knows?

Although it is in fuel economy, the Pathfinder/JX35 is not best in class for space. I forgot who wins in that category. Any AWD is going to be good in snow. Since you drive so much, had you considered a diesel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what crossover comes in diesel? I know the Q5 does but that is bit pricey

i was considering the jx, but from what i understand, it gets slightly worse gas and the awd system isnt as good b/c the PF has awd with differential

am i misinformed?

·
Administrator
4,773 Posts
what crossover comes in diesel? I know the Q5 does but that is bit pricey
In addition to the Q5, I was also looking at (maybe not seriously) the Audi Q7, Mercedes ML350 Bluetec, Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg and the BMW X5 xDrive 35d.
i was considering the jx, but from what i understand, it gets slightly worse gas and the awd system isnt as good b/c the PF has awd with differential

am i misinformed?
I think you are correct there. The JX was only rated to tow 3500 lbs with it's belt-driven CVT, but the QX60 will pull the 5000 lbs like the Pathfinder. That was one of my criteria when I was looking (along with at least 18 mpg City) because we have a camping trailer.

If fuel economy is big on your list, go to Fuel Economy and download the EPA vehicle ratings for the years you're considering. It was a big help to me.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
since you're coming from an RX, you might want to look at the Infiniti QX60, it's like the PF but just luxurious, it's Infiniti after all. Have a look at both, a person like you coming from a Lexus might be geared more towards the QX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i should be more clear

i had a 09 murano leased...after lease was over, bought used RX, didnt have too long and then accident happened....so Im not like used to super luxury things

i will admit the murano didnt feel that comfortable in the snow, but i think the pf has different awd system as I dont recall a knob in the murano to change settings

like i said, i just feel like the pf presents the best mix of all things, including value wise

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I own an 2013 SL 4X4 have not had a single issue - about 4,000 miles on it. I would definetely buy it again. What I would do is ask for a free extended powertrain warranty because of your concerns abou the CVT issues. I wish I had done the same, but no problems yet ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
My reply, based on my own saga, is absolutely "NO"

My '13 pathfinder has been in the dealer's shop for 40 of the last 49 days
Honest.

Nissan's customer service, isn't.

My wife's first "new" car. Really wanted to like it. Perhaps too much in retrospect

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Premium 4x4 plus all the accessories. It has around 5,000 miles on it and we have had only one thing happen. The left front lower door molding clip was broken, they ordered a new molding and that was it. I work for a Lexus dealership as a Tech (since September 93-present), we have multiple engines out of IS, GS, RX, and ES models all the time. We have had as many as four out t one time. This can be due to any number of things, timing cover leaks, water pump leaks and or failures, oil consumption, check engine lights (due to carbon deposits. We have to replace pistons and overhaul the heads), valve stem seals popping off. The engines in the IS, GS have been out and or apart so many times that the bolts will not torque to spec any more. Lexus has excellent PR people and everything is kept soooooo quiet. All I can say is, my whole family loves the Pathfinder. We would and will continue to buy Nissan/Infiniti products.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your going to get a rash of mixed reviews. Some people hate them due to the shutter/judder issue, other people such as myself love them who haven't or have had minor issues with them. I have a 2013 SL 4wd with about 12k. Never had a single issue. But just like all the other reviews, this is just my personal experience with my first Nissan/Infiniti. If you feel it has the best combination of fit and finish to meet your needs then by all mean's find the best deal negotiate the best price and get it. If your works out just like mine and so many other's then you won't be disappointed. On the flipside, after reading so much about issues, I would say lease instead of purchase that way you could just return it without so much hassle I would think.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your going to get a rash of mixed reviews. Some people hate them due to the shutter/judder issue, other people such as myself love them who haven't or have had minor issues with them. I have a 2013 SL 4wd with about 12k. Never had a single issue. But just like all the other reviews, this is just my personal experience with my first Nissan/Infiniti. If you feel it has the best combination of fit and finish to meet your needs then by all mean's find the best deal negotiate the best price and get it. If your works out just like mine and so many other's then you won't be disappointed. On the flipside, after reading so much about issues, I would say lease instead of purchase that way you could just return it without so much hassle I would think.
Also, other than leasing, another recommendation I have is to find the largest volume Nissan dealer near you and get the best discount off of MSRP if you plan to buy. That way, you have some equity in the car, or should at least break even, if you need to dump it in the first year.

We bought our SL at Jenkins Nissan in Lakeland, FL, the Southeast Region's leading volume dealer. $8,000 flat off of MSRP if you finance with NMAC, and we got 2.29% APR on a 72 month note, so I had no complaints with having a loan through them under those terms.

·
Administrator
4,773 Posts
Also, other than leasing, another recommendation I have is to find the largest volume Nissan dealer near you and get the best discount off of MSRP if you plan to buy..
That's funny. Here in Connecticut ALL of the dealers claim to be the volume leader! I don't know how they all can claim that in their advertising, but they do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also, other than leasing, another recommendation I have is to find the largest volume Nissan dealer near you and get the best discount off of MSRP if you plan to buy. That way, you have some equity in the car, or should at least break even, if you need to dump it in the first year.

We bought our SL at Jenkins Nissan in Lakeland, FL, the Southeast Region's leading volume dealer. $8,000 flat off of MSRP if you finance with NMAC, and we got 2.29% APR on a 72 month note, so I had no complaints with having a loan through them under those terms.

Wow, that's a heck of deal.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the problems with the pathfinder seem to be luck of the draw. not everyone has the problems or maybe they just dont notice.

go test drive one and see if you notice anything... and like many say above. there is the warranty if you really are worried.

·
Registered
138 Posts
2013 SL, just turned 7k miles. No problems so far. Still loving the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi new user!

Currently drive 08 RX 350, but was in accident and looking to switch due to frame damage

My needs: Space, good in snow, good fuel (i drive 500 miles a week)

Ive been surfing the net, checking the usual suspects, but the pathfinder really stands out in its space and fuel economy

however, the transmission issues are scaryyyyy....should I buy or wait until a fix is found?

(I feel like the cvt is not good tranny for such a heavy car, the japanese makers dont seem to have the 8 speed auto trans down like the germans do)

Look for a late build 2013 or 2014 to reduce chance of issues. My late spring build Pathfinder has been great! Zero trans issues. Runs and drives smooth. Coming from an RX you will like the ride of the Pathfinder.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts