Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am waiting for the factory order and I can always cancel it until it arrives at the dealership. After reading all the posts here, I am little scared.. I don't really mind air bag issue as it can be fixed but the transmission judder problem looks really major to me. In my opinion, they shouldn't have released the car like this or at lease stop producing cars until they find out the solution.
Like all of new car buyers, I am really sensitive guy in terms of rattling noise or unknown vibration and so on.. I am driving 2011 camry hybrid and the car is just perfect except rattling noise from everywhere and this is the reason why I am changing the car.

After test drive, I was really impressed how quite and comfort PF is as a bigger 7 seat SUV. But what is the point of quietness if the car has transmission problem which is one of the major and closely related safety.

Here is my question.

Should I buy PF now or wait until they figure out what is the reason for judder?

My family members are coming to visit me from foreign county and I will put 5k mile on the car for the road trip. But what if transmission fails and car suddenly stops..

five of them are coming and they paid $10,000 in total only for the flight ticket.

Please give me an advice for me

Thank you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, my personal opinion is... if I have to choose again, I will wait until these problems are 100% resolved or adddressed.
Second option is to lease it. If u are really happy and don't have those problems like some of the owners here, you can then owned it after your lease period ends.

I have to admit, this is one of the most comfortable vehicles I own to date and loved all its features that came with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good questions.......Mine is a month old and I have 600 miles on it. This car is not my daily driver, as you can gather. I bought it because it trumped everything else I drove or considered.
I drove a Honda Pilot first. This car was noisy, had terrible steering feel, looked like grandma's car from a styling standpoint, and just wasn't up to, what I felt, was Honda's reputation. I own 2 other Hondas.
I drove a Highlander. It was just OK. I know the 2014 will be a new car entirely, but, the 2013 is late in the build cycle and shows it when compared to the Pathfinder, who is brand new in the build cycle. I didn't find specific areas that turned me off like I did in the Honda, however. It was my second choice.
I went to drive a Durango but our local dealer didn't have any to sell. Odd. I have owned 2 Durangos and the last one had 2 engines replaced under warranty. I wasn't keen on another Dodge even though I know they have worked on their quality and generally get good reviews.
I looked at a Jeep........Wow, $55,000. I only looked.
Ford Explorers are nice looking but the reviews are less than stellar. I didn't even stop and look.
GM.......I work with a number of guys who have bought GM products in the last year or two. They have been nothing but headaches for both of them. GM builds very stylish SUVs that appear to be made of absolute junk components. I didn't even consider looking at a GM product.
I wouldn't buy a Kia or Hyundai due to resale value issues.
We don't have a Mazda dealer in the area - but I read good things about the CX-9. I like having a local dealer.
So....my pocketbook voted for the Pathfinder. I am very happy so far. Sure there are little things I liked about each of the competitors SUVs but as a whole package, my Platinum Premium is quite, very well appointed and fun to drive. I know I can purchase an extended warranty anytime while under the original manufacturer's warranty. So if problems do arise, I have that option.
The first 600 miles have averaged about 21 MPG and I expect that to increase as the car breaks in. I’ll switch to Mobile 1 after the second or third oil change. I put a K&N filter in right away as I like these for all my vehicles. The 20” tires look cool but will be a big expense when they need replacing. I bought a Weathertech floor liner for the back and while very expensive, it fits very well.

Those are my ramblings for early on Saturday morning. . . .by the way, no transmission jitter or other anomaly emanating from any component. Just a nice quite ride with good music that I can stream from my iphone, ipod, usb device, CD, AM/FM or satellite. I like music.

Good luck with your decision,
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies radiowc and Mike. I agree with you guys. I test drove pilot, highlander, cx-9, and Explorer.

Here are my impressions for competitors.
Explorer -I liked it but I had to pay minimum $5-7k more for this than PF and I didn't think it is worth it. looks good outside but cheap inside.
Pilot - looks so outdated inside and out. 5k more expensive. loud ride.
Highlander - well rounded car. I didn't find anything wrong with this car. maybe 3rd row is too small. 3k more expensive than PF.
CX-9- about the same price and even little cheaper. looks good inside and out. really good promotions( 84month 0%). I almost bought this car but I heard gas consumption is not good and I more liked interior design of PF than CX-9.

I live in Canada and cars are way more expensive than US. So basically, Canadians have to pay minimum 5k and up to 10k for the same car. But oddly Nissan sells cars pretty much same price to Canadians ( not exactly same but comparing to other companies, price difference is not that huge).

I paid $38k OTD for SL base and I think it's reasonable for Canadian price.

While test driving cars I found that PF offers way more comfortable, quite and smooth ride than any other competitors. And also, Interior design looks close to luxury cars in my opinion(I chose almond color).

Anyways, I will contact my dealership and ask them how they deal with this transmission problems. Hopefully, they figure out something until I pick up the car (end of May).

As I want to keep the car for about 10 years I am not thinking of leasing it. I really hope that I am making the right decision now..

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of the CVT shudder at this point, but really, that's the only downside to this car that I've found. Quality is very good overall - I've never had a car with such a quiet, well-screwed together interior (no rattles to speak of). Also, I really like the exterior dimensions - it doesn't feel huge to me like the Pilot did. It's very easy to maneuver. While the handling isn't quite sporty, it's comfortable and doesn't feel as big as it is. All-in-all, it's easily the most competitive vehicle in this segment - and at a good price too.

Again, I don't know what to make of the CVT shudder. Mine had the software update applied to it before I even took delivery of it, though I do still experience it in very rare instances (like once every 500 miles or so). I would tend to think that if it's correctable via software, that first update would have done the trick. I'm hopeful that I don't have to have the unit replaced and that Nissan will just cook up another software update - but it's definitely something I would caution a new owner to look out for.

The car is under warranty for the first 36,000 miles or 3 years. One would hope that in that time Nissan will discover not only a fix, but have it corrected for across the line-up in that time - and if not, extend the warranty on the CVT, just as they did for the Altima and earlier models with CVTs. With that said, I don't think I'd avoid the vehicle on this basis alone.

Trust me, the Pilot and Highlander have their share of eccentricities and reliability problems too. If you don't believe me, have a look at their respective AutoGuide forums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally agree with you cwa107. It was not possible to find something like PF for this price range. I will give Nissan a chance this time and see how they handle this problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I picked up my PF Platinum Premium on Nov 22. Studder was bad, happened every day.

When service bulletin came out, I had it performed the next day and the studder has only happened once since then. I also have checked and found that other CVT's on the road will also, on rare occasion, experience studder - both Nissan and other manufacturers.

I would say that Nissan has addressed the issue.

As for rattles - not a one. Agree with previous post, this car's interior is as tight as I've ever had. Everything is well put together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I now have 800 miles on my PF Platinum. I'm averaging 24 mpg on mixed city and highway driving. CVT is different and I'm getting used to it, but nothing to complain about. I had a Murano when it first came out in 2003. The next gen CVT on the PF is much much better-smoother andd optimizes power without the high rpm rapidly. Not a single rattle which is amazing. Road and wind noise on this baby is very well muted. Very comfortable and quiet overall. I'm not missing my MDX at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts