Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got a service notice from Nissan Canada yesterday to book a service appointment to reprogram the Transmission Control Modules to prevent the CVT chain condition from occuring. Here's the text:

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Dear Pathfinder Owner:
Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We believe that our current and future success depends on your continued satisfaction with Nissan. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding your 2013 Pathfinder.

REASON FOR SERVICE CAMPAIGN
Under certain unique driving conditions, the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) chain may slip in some affected 2013 Nissan Pathfinder vehicles. An indicator that the CVT chain has slipped is a shaking or a "judder" from the CVT when accelerating. Continuing to drive the vehicle in this condition can lead to accelerated wear and damage to the CVT. Reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) will prevent the CVT chain slip condition from occurring. This is not a safety issue, and the vehicle still meets and/or exceeds all applicable safety standards.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO
To assure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your vehicle, and prevent possible future damage to the CVT, your Nissan dealer will reprogram the Transmission Control Module (TCM) at no charge to you for parts or labour. The service should take less than an hour to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Nissan encourages you to contact your Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment. Failure to have this reprogramming performed in a timely manner could result in future damage to your vehicle's transmission. If repair or replacement of the transmission becomes necessary outside of the powertrain warranty period, the resulting repair costs will be at the owner's expense. This service campaign does not extend the duration of your new vehicle limited powertrain warranty.

To ensure the least inconvenience for you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the Nissan dealer for service. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment. Instructions have been sent to your Nissan dealer.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact your Nissan dealership or the Nissan Information Centre at 1-800-387-0122.
Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure on-going satisfaction with your Nissan vehicle.

QUALITY ASSURANCE NISSAN CANADA INC.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Odd - anyone in the US see a similar letter yet?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The webiste is Nissan Publications , search under the 2013 Pathfinder and it will give you a preview of the Nissan service bulletins - you have to register and pay a fee to view them in their entirety.

The post by nightfly lead me to this site.

found this on the nissan-techinfo site:

Subject: CP 2013 Pathfinder; TCM Reprogram - Voluntary Service Campaign

Summary of NTB13002:
Nissan is conducting this voluntary service campaign to reprogram the Transmission Control Unit (TCM) on certain specific 2013 Model Year Pathfinder vehicles. This TCM reprogram will prevent a CVT belt slip condition from occurring and will be performed at no charge for parts or labor. See this bulletin for further detail. Campaign ID # PC197

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took my Car into the dealer today to get the tcm reprogrammed. Took about an hour.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Took my Car into the dealer today to get the tcm reprogrammed. Took about an hour.
Good deal. I was kind of worried about taking mine in tomorrow given that the bulletin disappeared from Nissan's site. Are you in the US? Did they have any trouble finding it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
the tsb is still on the site, when you are listing all the 2013/pathfinder tsb's, just go to page 2 then back to page 1 and you'll see it at the top. not sure why it does not show at when you first are on page 1....

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Well, I stopped into the dealer this morning - to my surprise, they had record of this recall having been performed on 12/5/2012, prior to my taking delivery. Dealer said not to worry about these until you actually receive a notice, because they are required to address any recalls before delivering the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I bet mine has not been done then. I'm having the problem and I purchased on Nov 10th. I'm going to ask about this.
Yeah - I'm now concerned that this actually doesn't totally correct the problem.

Although I can only think of 3 times this has happened, it has definitely occurred for me. So, I'm not sure that this is a catch-all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone experienced this issue while slowing down? The description from the Nissan bulletin says it happens when accelerating. We felt something while slowing down to make a turn that sounds very similar to this issue. Also, we took delivery in January so the fix should have been applied but have yet to check with the dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone experienced this issue while slowing down? The description from the Nissan bulletin says it happens when accelerating. We felt something while slowing down to make a turn that sounds very similar to this issue. Also, we took delivery in January so the fix should have been applied but have yet to check with the dealer.
I have felt it once with the cruise set between 65-70 and it felt like it was slipping going down a few small hills. It happened several times on that drive but not since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
New to the forum.. But we have had ours since Nov 24th. 3k miles now and I had the shudder issue happen a number of times. Also felt like it would bog after shifting at about 20mph most of the time. After reading about this yesterday I took it in to the dealer. It took them a while to find it because it came up as a recall instead of tsb. Anyway, after they updated the ECM things seem much better! Only put on about 150 miles since, but I haven't noticed any bogging or trans issues. Hopefully it stays that way!

Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my TCM reprogramming scheduled for next Thursday morning. I think the service guy was kind of embarrassed that I found the problem myself...especially since I was in there on Wednesday and he thought I was crazy. He was supposed to be researching the issue and was going to personally call me back if he found something. I have a sneaking suspicion that there wasn't much researching going on. He admitted that they dropped the ball....
I'll just be glad to get it fixed!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I have my TCM reprogramming scheduled for next Thursday morning. I think the service guy was kind of embarrassed that I found the problem myself...especially since I was in there on Wednesday and he thought I was crazy. He was supposed to be researching the issue and was going to personally call me back if he found something. I have a sneaking suspicion that there wasn't much researching going on. He admitted that they dropped the ball....
I'll just be glad to get it fixed!
Just don't get your hopes up too much. As I said, mine was done before I took delivery, and yet, I've noticed it on several occasions (though admittedly, it hasn't manifested in recent weeks).

·
Registered
7 Posts
See mine happens daily, if not multiple times a day, especially in stop and go traffic (which is a daily thing for us). I'm thinking this reprogramming will help a LOT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the notice in the mail today. I live in NM. I haven't seen the issue with my car at all. I am having it done with my first oil change along with one of my headlight bulbs replaced as it burned out a few weeks after I purchased it. I also need to have the side seat panel on the passenger side looked at as it looks like is detaching from the seat.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts