Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a replacment for our 2006 Subaru Tribeca. I have been looking at a 2013 Acadia SLT-1 and a Explorer XLT w/leather. I then came across the new Pathfinder. We stopped after hours to look at the Pathfinder and was surprised on how well it looked in person. I like the while (black interior) SL W/premium package. I have been drooling over the Acadia but the price will be about $5,000 more than the Pathfinder and I still need to add the towing package ($500+ install). This would save me almost $130 per month in payments. But the interior was awsome and a very quiet ride. As for the explorer I was not too crazy about learning the My ford touch screen stuff. Also not overly impressed with the interior of the Explorer. Not as quiet as the acadia either. Explorer is about $2500 more than the PF.

I have been reading about the shuddering issue. It seems not overyone is affected. I feel fine with the 5yr. / 60k power terrain warranty helping if needed. I have also read and know of a person with tranny issue on the Acadia. GMC is supposed to have a new tranny for the 2013. So no vehicle is perfect. I do have a couple questions. I dont plan on regularly towing with the vehicle. Doe the tow package have tranny cooler? I mostly want the tow package for my bike rack....not giving up the Saris Thelma rack! But may do light towing from time to time.

Does the panoramic roof open/vent like the front moon roof?

How is the actual MPG on hwy when actually driving with cruise on and close to typical speed limit of 70?

How is the 13 Speaker Bose system?

I read some where no Ipod/bluetooth streaming on the SL W/ Premium package? Not a big deal as I just use USB cable.

Is CD player multi disc?

Anything else?

Local dealer has a SL /w premium 2wd (floor mats and couple other accessories). MSRP about $39,000k, I can get it for about $33500 with military discount. This does not include taxes and registration.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I have been reading about the shuddering issue. It seems not overyone is affected. I feel fine with the 5yr. / 60k power terrain warranty helping if needed. I have also read and know of a person with tranny issue on the Acadia. GMC is supposed to have a new tranny for the 2013. So no vehicle is perfect. I do have a couple questions. I dont plan on regularly towing with the vehicle. Doe the tow package have tranny cooler? I mostly want the tow package for my bike rack....not giving up the Saris Thelma rack! But may do light towing from time to time.
It seems like a great many of the Pathfinders are effected by the shuddering issue. We have heard reports from owners of models made from the early production run, on up to the later March build dates. From what we understand of the problem, it is related to the torque converter and transmission controller software and that a fix is forthcoming sometime late this month.

However, that's a lot of scuttlebutt at this point - I don't believe Nissan has issued an official statement (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

As to your questions:

Yes, there is a tranny cooler on the Pathfinder. For your towing needs, it should be more than capable.

Does the panoramic roof open/vent like the front moon roof?
No, the rear glass is fixed, with a power opening and closing sunshade.

How is the actual MPG on hwy when actually driving with cruise on and close to typical speed limit of 70?
Consistently at 70MPH, you should be able to get at or near the EPA estimates - at least that's been my experience. Go higher or add weight/drag (like a bike rack) and it will drop a bit, I suspect.

How is the 13 Speaker Bose system?
I would say above average for a factory stereo. Nothing earth-shattering, but if you're not an audiophile, I think you'll be satisfied. The infotainment capabilities are not as good as they could (or should be), but for what it does, it works pretty well. The Bluetooth system, while serviceable, is a bit dated and could be more intuitive.

I read some where no Ipod/bluetooth streaming on the SL W/ Premium package? Not a big deal as I just use USB cable.
Nope. Cabled only on the SL Premium. Still holding out hope for a hack/upgrade at some point. Nissan does own Clarion, afterall...

Is CD player multi disc?
That's a good question - can't answer that one as I've never even put a disc in it ;)

Works great with my 5th generation 16GB iPod Nano though - and that's where nearly all of my music lives. I've also used it with my iPhone and it works well enough - though the iPod lives in my car full time.

Anything else?

Local dealer has a SL /w premium 2wd (floor mats and couple other accessories). MSRP about $39,000k, I can get it for about $33500 with military discount. This does not include taxes and registration.
Given that the 2014s should be on dealer lots by August, you should have a lot of room to work. I wouldn't hesitate to throw out a low ball offer, using Edumunds.com TMV as your guide. I don't think you'll have to fight too hard.

Good luck on your dealings. I can't really compare it to the Acadia as I'm just not a GM person and didn't look at it. Whatever you do choose, I'm glad you took the time to educate yourself and didn't go in blind (like I did). I love the overall design, ride, handling, efficiency and amenities of my Pathfinder (particularly having come from the rather homely 2010 Pilot), but I can't say I'm particularly happy with the few quirks I've experienced thus far. However, I am hopeful that Nissan will address then in due time.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere on this forum the tranny issue has been mostly an annoyance to most?

The PF I was looking at was a 2wd SL w/ premium package. Accessories are lighted door sill plates, carpeted floor mats, and splash guards. MSRP of $39,095 but dealer says they are below invoice. I checked out Edmunds and get Invoice price of $35,588. Nissan is offering a total of $1,500 off If I finance through Nissan. This brings price down to $34,488.....dealer is offering it for $33,963 and I get an extra $500 military discount through Nissan. Seems like a good deal. The PF I am looking at looks like it just got off the transport truck. Maybe a May build date?

I too have a 16gig Ipod shuffle and plan to mostly keep it in the vehicle. Does the music display on the screen? What is lacking technology wise you think is missing? I am not a big tech guy. Infact some of the new "technology seems to be getting in the way of actually driving the vehicle IMO. I was not impressed having to go through slot of menues on the Ford to do simple tasks. Kind of funny hearing statements coming from 32 year old guy lol. I would think the Bose would blow away my 9 speaker Subaru stereo. Actually my Subaru stereo kind of lacks. My stereo was before Subaru went to Harmon Kardon. The tranny cooler is just for piece of mind. I am not very fluent in Bluetooth tech. I have a simple Samsung phone that has Bluetooth and the wife has a Iphone 4. I would not be disappointed if it did not work. Can the Bluetooth have a software upgrade? As far as Bluetooth goes every car manufacture has issues....even Ford (sync) had issues when Apple had updates to some Iphones. I guess I can just give it a try when I get to the dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I will note Nissan had some issues with the CVT on the 2013 Altima. I believe the Altima got a upgraded CVT tranny this year. I think there was an updated spring that fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I read somewhere on this forum the tranny issue has been mostly an annoyance to most?
It is to me. Occasionally, under light throttle and at low speed, I will get a sensation like driving over a rumble strip. It seems to happen once every 500-600 miles. When it happens, if I let off the throttle, it goes away instantly, though there are some that report that it is prolonged or they experience a loss of power. There are also a number of others who have never experienced it (or just never noticed it - it can be subtle at times).

The PF I was looking at was a 2wd SL w/ premium package. Accessories are lighted door sill plates, carpeted floor mats, and splash guards. MSRP of $39,095 but dealer says they are below invoice. I checked out Edmunds and get Invoice price of $35,588. Nissan is offering a total of $1,500 off If I finance through Nissan. This brings price down to $34,488.....dealer is offering it for $33,963 and I get an extra $500 military discount through Nissan. Seems like a good deal. The PF I am looking at looks like it just got off the transport truck. Maybe a May build date?
Sounds like a square deal to me. That's pretty much the same vehicle as what I have, but mine is 4WD.

I too have a 16gig Ipod shuffle and plan to mostly keep it in the vehicle. Does the music display on the screen?
Yep, title and artist. You can also fully control the iPod from the console controls, so you never need to take your iPod out of the center console.

What is lacking technology wise you think is missing? I am not a big tech guy. Infact some of the new "technology seems to be getting in the way of actually driving the vehicle IMO. I was not impressed having to go through slot of menues on the Ford to do simple tasks. Kind of funny hearing statements coming from 32 year old guy lol.
There are a lot of infotainment systems out there that do things like app-integration (think Pandora streaming), voice control and other advanced options. I don't find it all that lacking, but the Edge I drove right before the PF certainly had it beat in the tech department. But you're right, a lot of that stuff can be extremely distracting. If you don't own a smartphone, then you probably wouldn't care.

I would think the Bose would blow away my 9 speaker Subaru stereo. Actually my Subaru stereo kind of lacks. My stereo was before Subaru went to Harmon Kardon. The tranny cooler is just for piece of mind. I am not very fluent in Bluetooth tech. I have a simple Samsung phone that has Bluetooth and the wife has a Iphone 4. I would not be disappointed if it did not work. Can the Bluetooth have a software upgrade? As far as Bluetooth goes every car manufacture has issues....even Ford (sync) had issues when Apple had updates to some Iphones. I guess I can just give it a try when I get to the dealer.
Can't speak to the Tribeca, but my wife's 2010 Legacy has a six speaker setup that is pretty decent. Yes, the Pathfinder's stereo blows it away. It is above average for a factory system, but I've heard better.

It seems like Bose will ***** their name out to anyone who wants to pin it on their vehicle's dash. I had a Mazda 6 a few years ago with a "Bose" system. The sounds was OK, but not anything to write home about. I had to pull the radio out to install an iPod integration system and noticed that the head unit was actually made by Sanyo - yes, THAT Sanyo, the same company that made its name selling cheap, Sony knock-off boomboxes in the 80's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just left the dealer. I did a test drive. I like the vehicle a lot. Very smooth. Tranny was spot on. The one I drove just came off the delivery truck last week. Not sure the build date. I did talk some numbers with them. The radio and other knobs were very easy to use unlike the Ford stuff. Handling through curves was initially soft but then firms up (smooth and comfy). Very quiet....just as quiet as Acadia.

The one I would want is the SL /w premium package 2wd, mocha stone, cargo convience package ($200), Splash guards ($150), Floor mats ($200). MSRP of $38,895. Invoice according to Edmunds is $35,816. Dealer offered me it for $34,387 including $1,000 Nissan rebate, $500 military. I guess if I finance through Nissan and take the promotional 0.9% APR I loose the $500 finance rebate. So I would just go through a local bank at 1.99%. I got the dealer to throw in 2 oil changes, 1 tire rotation, Tint front driver and passenger windows, and rear bumper protector ($200 value).

Seems like a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Well I just left the dealer. I did a test drive. I like the vehicle a lot. Very smooth. Tranny was spot on. The one I drove just came off the delivery truck last week. Not sure the build date. I did talk some numbers with them. The radio and other knobs were very easy to use unlike the Ford stuff. Handling through curves was initially soft but then firms up (smooth and comfy). Very quiet....just as quiet as Acadia.

The one I would want is the SL /w premium package 2wd, mocha stone, cargo convience package ($200), Splash guards ($150), Floor mats ($200). MSRP of $38,895. Invoice according to Edmunds is $35,816. Dealer offered me it for $34,387 including $1,000 Nissan rebate, $500 military. I guess if I finance through Nissan and take the promotional 0.9% APR I loose the $500 finance rebate. So I would just go through a local bank at 1.99%. I got the dealer to throw in 2 oil changes, 1 tire rotation, Tint front driver and passenger windows, and rear bumper protector ($200 value).

Seems like a fair deal.
Seems like a very good deal to me, actually.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's a really good deal !!
Also, the tranny software update is coming out by the end of June so that should not ba an issue whatosever....good luck !!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Seems like a good deal but hard to say exactly due to the extras you have bundled in. In Maryland they are going for $2000 - $2500 below invoice. It looks to me like you are in that ball park but you are paying for the stuff the dealer "threw in". Also check out PenFed Credit Union. www.penfed.org You should be able to get 1.74% on a new car loan. Good luck. I love mine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also consider the amount of fuel you will save with the Pathfinder over the Acadia. Canadian numbers are something like city 10.5L/100 Pathy, 13.0 L/100 Acadia. Lets call it 2L/100 better in town, that's 20L/1000 and 200L/10,000. Fuel is $125/L right now, if you drive an average of 15,000 km/ year that's a savings of roughly $375/year on fuel. Very quick numbers, yours will vary and yes the gap isn't quite so wide when comparing highway efficiency. It's in the city where the Pathfinder really beats the competition.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like a good deal but hard to say exactly due to the extras you have bundled in. In Maryland they are going for $2000 - $2500 below invoice. It looks to me like you are in that ball park but you are paying for the stuff the dealer "threw in". Also check out PenFed Credit Union. www.penfed.org You should be able to get 1.74% on a new car loan. Good luck. I love mine.

Those extras were worked in after the price was set. I can get 1.99 through USAA.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
PF over Acadia all day. I have heard nothing good about GM's Acadia and although the Pathfinder has it's fair share of problems I still think it's an amazing SUV, which might explain why a forum like this on it is so active. Then there are websites on it's big brother, the JX.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the Acadia is larger. I will say I have not been much of a fan of GM but the 2013 Acadia is a very nice SUV. They have done a lot with the interior plus it is very quiet...just as quiet as the PF. But it is $5K more than the PF. For me the PF wins!

·
Registered
151 Posts
PF over Acadia all day. I have heard nothing good about GM's Acadia and although the Pathfinder has it's fair share of problems I still think it's an amazing SUV, which might explain why a forum like this on it is so active. Then there are websites on it's big brother, the JX.
I have to agree. My wife was actually down to the Acadia and the Pathfinder and decided to go with the Pathfinder. The features and fuel mileage beat the Acadia, in our opinion, hands down. Now granted, the CVT issues we've had have been disappointing but other than that the vehicle has been awesome. I'm confident Nissan will get the CVT kinks worked out for current and future owners, they have too much reputation, and sales, at stake not to. I'm actually waiting on a call back from the dealership, had a voicemail last night about some kind of "good news from Nissan regarding our vehicles transmission problems" but that person was not currently in the office...I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree Nissan and most any manufacturer these days have alot at stake to let a tranny issue tarnish their reputation.

I noticed Nissan was giving an extra $1,000 kicker for memorial day. I may wait to see if they do the same for the 4th of July.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes the Acadia is larger. I will say I have not been much of a fan of GM but the 2013 Acadia is a very nice SUV. They have done a lot with the interior plus it is very quiet...just as quiet as the PF. But it is $5K more than the PF. For me the PF wins!
The entire Acadias body is 3 inches longer and 2 inches wider, but the interiors practically the same exact size because the extra length in the Acadia is in the hood and width difference is nonexistent. Lets be a little objective here, you act as if the Acadia is a suburban.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The entire Acadias body is 3 inches longer and 2 inches wider, but the interiors practically the same exact size because the extra length in the Acadia is in the hood and width difference is nonexistent. Lets be a little objective here, you act as if the Acadia is a suburban.
I was mostly refering to cargo space.

Acadia about 120 cubic foot
Pathfinder about 80 cubic foot

Both with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was mostly refering to cargo space.

Acadia about 120 cubic foot
Pathfinder about 80 cubic foot

Both with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded down
79.8 cu/ft is with just 3rd row down. Nissan misadvertised that number as total when it's not. I've had a family friend calculate total cargo with 2nd row down and it's nearly 105. My friend is a mechanical engineer also if you were wondering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
79.8 cu/ft is with just 3rd row down. Nissan misadvertised that number as total when it's not. I've had a family friend calculate total cargo with 2nd row down and it's nearly 105. My friend is a mechanical engineer also if you were wondering.

Here is a comparison from Edmunds....a third party. I know there is only a few inches of exterior dimensions difference. No I dont think the Acadia is suburban size. Why would nissan misadvertise their dimensions and not fix the calculation on their website?

Compare Vehicles: 2013 Nissan vs. 2013 GMC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts