Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 750 miles before my second oil change is due, but am planning on a 2000 mile trip next week (obviously its mostly highway through the central US -- no mountains or trailer pulling). Is it OK to wait to do the oil change until after the trip or should i do it early? I know the first oil change is very important, but what about the second?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd personally get it done just before the trip, but I personally think you would be fine if you waited until afterwards. I guess whichever is most convenient.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you running regular or synthetic oil? What is your normal change interval? These need to be answered before you can decide.
Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running regular oil with the 3750 change interval. I personally think i could safely go 5000 between changes and be fine. I live in Minneapolis so have parts of the year that are considered severe conditions.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just change it. Doesn't cost much anyways. Especially regular oil - it really goes to crap near its end of life.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use nothing but synthetic in my cars and I think Nissan/Infiniti are really aggressive with their oil change schedule. I had a Mercedes a couple cars back and they called for 12k intervals, but required Mobile1 synthetic. I've been doing 6k intervals lately with Synthetic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This early in its lifespan, I'd change it as cheap insurance. A poor decision now will affect it for as long as you own it--the same for a good decision.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
^ good advice. CHANGE IT! Your car will thank you later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 158,000 miles on my 2001 Sentra. I use 7,500 mile intervals, still runs great. Using 3,750 wastes your money and oil and adds to waste.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It depends how you use your car. You are correct that changing the oil frequently does create waste and you do end up spending more money. But there is nothing wrong with changing your oil frequently if you think your car needs it.

Quality oil is important but the change interval is just as important.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Synthetic

Synthetic oil can handle longer change intervals. I have a Saab 9-5 turbo with 231K miles. That model is prone to oil sludging due to the turbo and small 4 qt oil capacity. Always used synthetic changed every 10K miles, no sludging problems.

I like to change it myself, and am using synthetic in the PF. I plan to keep to 10K intervals. The extra cost is saved through the longer change interval and convenience not to have to get under the car as much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts