Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Second Choice Car after the Pathfinder?

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  srfndoc 
#1 ·
If it wasn't for the Pathfinder, what other car would you have bought instead? I probably would have gone with the Toyota Highlander.

#6 ·
Haven't made my purchase yet, but the Ford Flex is an unbelievable vehicle, it absolutely does not have a weak spot. It is fairly uncommon largely due to lack of marketing I think, and the polarizing styling of course.

I find the exterior styling to be perfection - no bullcrap swoopy doopy "crossover" styling with little rear windows and big blind spots, its a no-nonsense super practical and insanely stylish, classy exterior design that does not follow the pack. I give Ford a lot of credit for producing this vehicle. The only downside is the MyFord Touch (Microsoft) Infotainment system which continues to be buggy, but they release free updates about every month so I'm sure they'll soon get things ironed out.

You can get a barely-used Flex for an amazing price too, and this is actually Ford's most reliable model that after 5 years of production has been basically perfected with the same chassis and powertrain as the Edge crossover. The CX-9 and Highlander are nice vehicles, but much less funcitonal, much more expensive for the used market, and have less features compared to the Flex.

If the Pathfinder gets its powertrain issues ironed out it will still be at the top, neck and neck with the Flex.

If you like the Pathfinder, DO NOT sit in a Flex or drive a Flex, I guarantee you will have buyers remorse and wish you bought a Flex. Outside appearance is one thing, but experiencing the driving experience, interior comfort, smoooooth and powerfull powertrain, and perfect suspension is completely different.....Ford really hit the bullseye with the Flex (and I'm not a Ford fan, I own a 2008 Nissan Rogue, but I have to give credit where its due).

#7 ·
All personal opinion..I've driven the Flex several times in the rental car fleets and I think it is awful. And the fact that the rental car fleets are flooded with them should tell you how well they are being received. But, it's all personal opinion.

I looked at the Infiniti JX and the PF. I've been very happy with my Nissan cars over the years and each time I moved away (Toyota, Lexus, Ford) I've been disappointed.

#10 ·
We have owned the gambit. This is our third Nissan. We have owned Fords, Chryslers, Toyotas and Subarus. To be honest was never disappointed in any of them. They were all good cars and we never had to put much money into any of them on repairs. This Nissan was our second choice. I really wanted a Grand Cherokee Overland, but the price tag was more than I could swallow at this time.:)

#14 ·
Since I get a VPP on Nissan and Infiniti I only looked at them. My second choice was going to be an Armada, but I didn't want to spend that much and the gas mileage is horrible. My third choice was a QX56. Didn't get it for the same reason as the Armada. I glanced at comparable vehicles from all the auto makers, but none of them had the same amount of features for the amount I would pay for the PF. Ultimately the choice was clear and I've been happy about it ever since.

#15 ·
I get both the VPP discount and Hyundai's Circle discount and am trying to decide between the Pathfinder and the Santa Fe GLS. I was leaning towards the Pathfinder but this transmission issue has me worried. Is it just a vocal minority having this issue or is it really widespread? Both cars are 1st year model's so that has me concerned as well.

Tough call at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.