Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 3200 miles into owning the Pathy I have a new passenger seat...

Long story: I had noticed that when I was sitting in the driver's seat with my seat belt buckled and nothing/nobody in the passenger's seat without that seat buckled the dashboard "buckle seatbelt" light would stay on while driving about 90% of the time. Also, I had noticed that sometimes (50%) the "passenger airbag off" light would come on even when someone of weight was sitting in the passenger's seat and buckled.

After bringing it in for service, getting my CVT recall taken care of, and having the airbag sensor circuit (or whatever it was, I'd have to look it up) reset to fix the light everything seemed alright. I was wrong...

Three days or so went by and then the "buckle seatbelt" light came back on again randomly and then back to the steady 90% of the time...So I brought it back to the dealership and they looked at it for a bit and hooked it up with the Nissan Engineers and they looked through the car remotely and all that good stuff. They then decided there wasn't anything they could do for me that day and sent me on my way with a promise that any new information would be immediately told to me and that this issue would be taken care of ASAP. I heard from them within 24 hours but unfortunately they didn't really have much useful info.

After 5 days I decided to call up Nissan Corporate just to speed up the process a little. After talking to a national rep and told me that he would refer all my info to the regional reps and they would be getting in touch with me within 24 hours. True to their word I got a phone call and the lady was very nice and wanted it all sorted out. They were going to fly in a Nissan engineer specifically for my car and take care of it ASAP. I called the dealer as instructed and set it up to get a loaner the next day and drop my Pathfinder off.

It was done in about 4-5 hours, left the engineer puzzled, but my car was all set. They ended up having to swap in a new passenger seat from a car on the lot with the same interior. The parts/seats were on backorder and they didn't want me without my new car for very long at all. I've been driving it two days now and haven't had a single light issue or any other issues. Also, the regional rep is supposed to be getting in touch with me and offering me "compensation" or whatever for all the issues...Hopefully they'll make a payment or entend the mileage for me. (Or maybe a remote car starter...?)

I will say that the Toyota RAV4 they gave me as a loaner from Hertz was miserable and rough and loud compared to my beautiful Pathy...Never again do I want to drive one of those! Oh and I drove my parent's 2011 Subaru Outback for 5 days to keep miles off my car (lease) and that was horrible as well! It even had the V6 and paddle-shifters...but it was just rough and uncomfortable overall...the sound system especially.

In any case, that's the end of the saga...I stumped a service advisor, a veteren service tech, and a Nissan engineer!

Reactions: Mirolex

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
It seems like when Nissan Corporate gets involved, things tend to get taken care of pretty quickly.

I am actually on my second 2013 Pathfinder. Not sure if I told the story here, but the first PF I took delivery of had a roof leak. The headliner, near the hatch was completely soaked just hours after driving it off the lot. I turned around and dropped it back off - they gave me a loaner PF, but told me "don't worry, we'll get this fixed". I was a little shell-shocked to be honest, and didn't really question them initially.

About an hour went by and I called them to tell them I didn't want the car and to take it back. To my surprise, they had already called Nissan who was dispatching an engineer to look at it - and they would be replacing it with an identical vehicle.

A day later, I drove off with my current vehicle (which was sourced from another dealer about 90 miles away). As for the original PF - as it turned out, they had neglected to install a bolt for the roof rack at the factory. Water had been gradually seeping in through the hole, and when it was finally driven, it sloshed around until it eventually made its way into the headliner.

So, a bad initial experience turned out pretty well in the end. As this is my first Nissan, I'll be curious to see how goes for the long-term.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say I was very impressed with their overall handling of my issue. I'm still going to bring up the "judder" in the transmission and see what they end up making of it.

This is my first NEW car (only 22 but with a son on the way) and I'm extremely happy to have a warranty and the service that comes from buying a new car. My parents are also looking into trading in their Subaru on one so the dealership knows to treat me well at this point, haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For those of you that still have the airbag issue, even if parts have been ordered I would recommend filing a complaint online. ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles ). Its my understanding in talking to the dealer and Nissan Corp that this is a pretty major issue. The seat frame is on a national backorder and prodution of vehicles has been delayed due to this issue. I personally have been waiting almost a month for the parts. I will not allow anybody to ride in the passenger seat until this issue is fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since the dealer did a reset on mine, the light has not come back on. Wondering if we all have the same issue or not. Or maybe my airbag will simply just not work??? How would I know?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I to have the same issue. When my wife sits in the front seat 95% of the time the airbag light stay illuminated. Just emailed the salesman about the situation since it hasn't been the first. One question, should the airbag off light be illuminated when someone is not sitting in the seat? Because at times it isnt when no one is sitting in the front passenger seat. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I to have the same issue. When my wife sits in the front seat 95% of the time the airbag light stay illuminated. Just emailed the salesman about the situation since it hasn't been the first. One question, should the airbag off light be illuminated when someone is not sitting in the seat? Because at times it isnt when no one is sitting in the front passenger seat. Thanks everyone.
The only time it should illuminate is when the sensor determines there is a passenger sitting in the seat that is under-sized for the airbag. This is measured by weight, so it's possible for it to go on if you lay a briefcase or a gallon of milk on it.

If it's illuminating with no one in the seat, then it is malfunctioning for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine illuminates with nothing on it randomly. I have several videos of it happening and at thus time Nissan refuses to do anything. It been to the dealer several times, talked to Nissan Consumer Affairs and they refuse to do anything. Needless to say I am not happy. Who knows if it would function properly if I would be in an accident.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My light has still been randomly turning on and Nissan doesn't seem to care. They finally told me to take to another dealer which I did...Dealer saw the issue and when it was there all airbag warning lights came on. So now there is an issue with the entire airbag system and I am being told 6-8 weeks for the parts to arrive. Needless to say I am pissed. I have several calls into consumer affairs waiting for a call back from management. My car has been to the dealer 5 times for this issue already dating back to November. I told them I want a replacement vehicle to drive until mine is repaired to my satisfaction or the vehicle bought back before I pursue legal actions against them. I do not feel comfortable driving the vehicle. God knows what would happen if I was in an accident..would the airbags work? Could they just blow randomly? Who knows....I hope I get to talk to somebody tomorrow as I am very upset and irritated.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
My light has still been randomly turning on and Nissan doesn't seem to care. They finally told me to take to another dealer which I did...Dealer saw the issue and when it was there all airbag warning lights came on. So now there is an issue with the entire airbag system and I am being told 6-8 weeks for the parts to arrive. Needless to say I am pissed. I have several calls into consumer affairs waiting for a call back from management. My car has been to the dealer 5 times for this issue already dating back to November. I told them I want a replacement vehicle to drive until mine is repaired to my satisfaction or the vehicle bought back before I pursue legal actions against them. I do not feel comfortable driving the vehicle. God knows what would happen if I was in an accident..would the airbags work? Could they just blow randomly? Who knows....I hope I get to talk to somebody tomorrow as I am very upset and irritated.
Time to start lemon law proceedings. If the vehicle was taken back to the dealer on 3 occasions without being repaired, and since it is a safety issue, this should be a slam dunk.

Check your state's lemon law.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree. I am in Pennsylvania as well. I'm going to talk to my case manager tomorrow and give Nissan the chance to replace the vehicle. If they refuse I will be left with no choice but to file a lemon law suit. I honestly am not keen on even driving the vehicle now.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I agree. I am in Pennsylvania as well. I'm going to talk to my case manager tomorrow and give Nissan the chance to replace the vehicle. If they refuse I will be left with no choice but to file a lemon law suit. I honestly am not keen on even driving the vehicle now.
Good luck. I truly mean that. It sounds like you've been through **** with that dealer - I'm astounded that they told you to take it to a different dealership rather than trying to help you. This is a manufacturer's defect - they're acting like you're trying to get one over on them. They get compensated whether they repair it under warranty or it's coming out of your pocket. One would think they'd want you as a customer since they win either way.

Not sure where you're located in PA, but if you're in my neck of the woods, it might be worth the drive to Faulkner Nissan in Harrisburg. They are my local dealer and are outstanding to work with. The dealership experience was half the reason I bought my Pathfinder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nissan told me to basically suck it up and deal with it. They said parts are on order no ETA as to when it will even be at the dealer...They are going to consider my request for a rental car, but said it will take 2 days for an answer. Needless to say I am not happy at all. This is my 7th new nissan since 2000 and will be my last. The lack of support from customer service is unreal. They don't care about customers nor the safety of them. Per the dealer none of my airbags would deploy in an accident and they want me to drive it until the parts are in. Lemon Law really doesn't apply since the vehicle has been repaired yet...

·
Registered
13 Posts
We purchased a moonlight white platinum version Sunday. Yes, we can purchase vehicles on a Sunday...

That same night with fewer than 40 miles, a red airbag warning light flashed by the spedometer and the orange/yellow airbag off light closer to the passenger seat, on the dash, also illluminated, even with my wife seated there.

I took it in to Nissan the very next day, Monday this week. They were quick to get on top of it. They reset the computer somewhere. Their explanation was that they see this often with showroom vehicles, where people are constantly getting in and out and turning the key on and off. They said this seems to "gum-up" the computer and a simple reset usually takes care of it.

So that seems to have taken care of our issue, though it looks like, from some of your posts, it is something more. If anything changes or the light returns, I will post such.

There is a procedure in the owner's manual or warranty manual about how to resolve problems with your vehicle. Something like, dealer, consumer affairs and then arbitration etc--just going from memory. So far, I think at least my local Nissan dealer wants to take customer service and customer satisfaction seriously.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I talked to a lemon law firm today and even though they haven't really fixed it yet, they said I should still have a claim against Nissan...so the paper work is in the mail for them to representent me. I love the car, but this has just been a PITA. All I want is a safe a realiable vehicle for my family. I am hoping I can just get the vehicle replaced with the exact same thing, but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I talked to a lemon law firm today and even though they haven't really fixed it yet, they said I should still have a claim against Nissan...so the paper work is in the mail for them to representent me. I love the car, but this has just been a PITA. All I want is a safe a realiable vehicle for my family. I am hoping I can just get the vehicle replaced with the exact same thing, but time will tell.
I love the Pathfinder from a styling/design perspective. I also like how it drives for the most part. But I wasn't expecting as many gremlins as there seem to be. I wouldn't have bought a first model year vehicle from an American brand, but I figured the Japanese would have a better odds. So far, I'm not impressed. If I were in your shoes and had the choice, I think I'd be looking at the Highlander... just because it's a much more mature platform, even if it is a little long in the tooth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really do like the highlander, but it is being redesigned..new one out this fall...I just can't buy one knowing a new model will be out in a few months...I have have been driving new Nissan's for 15 years...I had an altima, two pathfinders, three murano's and now this pathfinder. I have had some minor issues with all of them, but nothing like the airbag system not working. I have been very loyal to Nissan and thought they would want to keep me happy and do what's right...I guess I will see want the Lemon Law Firm can do...whether it is replaced or repaired and if it just repaired I will be demending compensation for all the BS I have been dealing with....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like I am in the same boat as many of you. I just filed my complaint with the NHTSA and I called Nissan Consumer affairs to give them one more chance. My lemon laws state that I have to bring it in 4 times before they will consider the complaint so I guess I have two more trips to make before I can start that process.

This information really should get out there so that no one else is burned by Nissan while they experiment with this redesigned vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What symptoms are you having with your airbags?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts