Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes or no? if not why?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does the Pathfinder not already come rust proof? If it has problems with rust, this is an issue that I shouldn't have to fix myself. You'd think Nissan would be capable of creating rust proof cars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
anyone living in Canada or any of the northern states that get snow should have this done. Rust is like cancer for cars, it's the last thing you'll wan to see!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The pathfinder already has rustproofing coming from the factory. But like everything else, they don't last forever so eventually cars will start to have rust

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you say that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I never see new cars with rust. It must take over a decade before the factory rustproofing starts to stop working. There are many, many other things that you could spend your money on instead in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen new cars rust before.

My parents have a Mazda 3. It's only a year old and there is rust on some of the suspension components. It happened right after winter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've seen new cars rust before.

My parents have a Mazda 3. It's only a year old and there is rust on some of the suspension components. It happened right after winter.
I just doubt it is a common problem. Cars should be made in such a way that they do not rust in such a short period of time. If it is rusting, I would take it back to the dealer and demand that they fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally anecdotal, but I've always heard that rustproofing is one of those dealer add-on's that should be avoided as it's just a way for them to make extra money.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Totally anecdotal, but I've always heard that rustproofing is one of those dealer add-on's that should be avoided as it's just a way for them to make extra money.
Sounds like when they try to make you buy the extra warranty at Future Shop or Best Buy when you buy a computer or other electronic device.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apart from cost is there any disadvantage to rust proofing? It seems like a better safe than sorry?

·
Registered
1 Posts
when i bought my BMW, I asked to do rust proofing at the dealership. I got rejected by the sales person because he told me that when you do rust proofing, you are basically plugging all the drain holes. Moisture got trapped and it will actually speed up the oxidation.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,011 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to life....

I've always rust proofed all my vehicles but one, and because of that one I now own a PF.
I keep my vehicles for a long time, my previous vehicle was a Mazda 6 that I didn't rust proof and it started showing some corrosion and because of that, I decided it was time for a new vehicle.

I applied Symtech to my 2004 Toyota Sienna when I bought it, the van is now 11 years old and has zero rust, I remember paying about $800 back then.
Got the PF rust proofed with a lifetime warranty, the dealer I got the PF from didn't have Symtech and I do not recall the name of the product, I got the inside panels and underbody for $450...

I agree the warranty might have holes (what doesn't !) I believe your car has to have a hole and not just surface rust for it to kick in but I hope I never need it.
In my experience, rust proofing works and pays off in the long term, it is a waste of money if you are the kind of person who keeps vehicles for 5 years or less.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Speaking of crappy warranties, my 01 van developed rusting where there was a "lifetime guarantee" from a minor accident. I used my insurer's preferred body shop (large dealer AAMOF) and as expected they denied the claim. It was apparent there was rust UNDER the bondo they used (and they claimed they used no bondo). Bunch of lying thieves. My only recourse would be to sue them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 PF bought in October 2014. I was looking around my PF and found little rust spots. I rubbed my finger over to see if there was a nick in the paint and nothing. Has this happened to anyone else and any ideas what I should do? will the dealership cover this. being that my PF is not even a year old, I can't already have rust on it can I?

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
I have a 2014 PF bought in October 2014. I was looking around my PF and found little rust spots. I rubbed my finger over to see if there was a nick in the paint and nothing. Has this happened to anyone else and any ideas what I should do? will the dealership cover this. being that my PF is not even a year old, I can't already have rust on it can I?
Is there any common wisdom on the islands about what the salt air does to your vehicles? I remember reading somewhere that owners in locales like yours need to wash your vehicles frequently to prevent salt corrosion. The paint job on Pathfinders is terrible to begin with, so I would think that this would be doubly important for Pathfinder owners in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc.

FWIW, other members have reported rust problems too.
http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/6-new-member-introductions/9946-2013-pathfinder-rusting.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts