Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my pathy has developed an issue. It first started with some minor rubbing noise during hardlock turns at low speeds. Some experiments showed that it only happens in AWD, not FWD. It then developed into my noticing that placing the car into 4WD lock and then back into AWD, tightened up the driving feel considerably, but would cause tire skipping in the rear end during tight low speed turns even after disabling 4WD lock.

Now, even normal turns in either direction will cause the rubbing noise. Switched back to 2WD and it's still fine.

Not sure if transfer case is failing, or possibly diff? I plan on changing diff fluid soon. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a similar if not the same problem with a 2017 Platinum. You're calling it a "rubbing noise", and I call it a vibration. Changing transfer case and rear diff fluid didn't do a thing. Check the service bulletin attached - NTB10-029e. Haven't been in yet, but hoping it will be the cause and take car of the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a similar if not the same problem with a 2017 Platinum. You're calling it a "rubbing noise", and I call it a vibration. Changing transfer case and rear diff fluid didn't do a thing. Check the service bulletin attached - NTB10-029e. Haven't been in yet, but hoping it will be the cause and take car of the issue.
I did see that bulletin, and it does describe my issue. It's definitely tire skipping/binding, in fast tight turns you can hear and feel the rear end lift and skip.

Will be changing the fluid tonight, and also doing a tire rotation as I did have a single rear tire replaced recently. Tread difference is minimal, but it's there.

Will respond to forum thread once done. If it doesn't fix it, I'll be going to the dealership. I also have liquid in my headlights, which has a service bulletin as well.

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't have time to rotate tires today, but changed diff fluid and no change to noise. Measured tread depth and there is a noticeable difference in the rear between the two tires. Going to swap the fronts to the back as they're the same tread depth. Fronts should wear down even fast enough on their own.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
715 Posts
That does suck if it's the rear coupling. The rear diff gear oil has nothing to do with the coupling.

There's no serviceable parts on it that I know of. It's just a simple on/off electronic clutch of sorts, with some sealed bearings in it. It's the bearings that fail and render it useless by causing noise, vibs and binding. I have seen some videos online with Hyundai/Kia products where the mechanic figured out how to get the coupling apart and just replace the bearings.

I think people think the 4x4 system on our 2013+ pathfinders is fancier than it actually is. It's not AWD, it's a part time 4x4 system where the back end is either full on, or full off as needed. There's no real torque splitting aside from ABS and throttle doing it's thing for stability control.

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally had time to rotate the tires today; immediate night and day difference. No more binding/slipping in turns, feels excellent.

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I took it for a longer drive, and it appears it was just playing along nicely for the short drive; it's just as bad if not worse after the tire rotation. I will be booking an appointment at the dealer now, as it's now looking like an issue I won't be resolving myself.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Best I can tell, all 2013-2020 use the same rear coupling. Search p/n 38761-3KA0B. I've seen them by mail-order for anywhere from ~$600-1400USD. Probably a $2500 Canadian Nissan dealer job.

These require programming once installed, like pretty much all electrical crap these days.

The part itself looks easy to remove and replace. You could source one and install it yourself, then have it programmed if you're on a budget or want to fix and unload the beast.

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best I can tell, all 2013-2020 use the same rear coupling. Search p/n 38761-3KA0B. I've seen them by mail-order for anywhere from ~$600-1400USD. Probably a $2500 Canadian Nissan dealer job.

These require programming once installed, like pretty much all electrical crap these days.

The part itself looks easy to remove and replace. You could source one and install it yourself, then have it programmed if you're on a budget or want to fix and unload the beast.
Man, I understand the need for computer controlled aspects of a vehicles driveline; but locking the repair of these things behind a dealer only tool is just gross.
I just noticed yours is a 2018, it should be covered under warranty.
I'm at 102,000KM, so manufacture warranty is up. I have an extended warranty that goes until 120,000KM, so it should only cost me a few hundred bucks for the deductible.
I've got a laundry list of other minor things that I'll be having them look at while it's there as well.

I've got an appointment for Tuesday, I will update the thread with their resolution when they get one.

·
Registered
715 Posts
None of the programming is dealer only. Any good independent shop has the scan tools and subscriptions necessary to do any programming these days. Good for you on having that extended warranty! These things are like gold when owning a 2013+ pathfinder!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts