Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Nissan unveiled the 2014 Nissan Rogue at Frankfurt yesterday they also revealed a new third row for the CUV. The Rogues second row seats will slide forward like the Pathfinder and JX/QX60, while the third row will fold flat into the cargo floor...

Now the Rogue is smaller, but people are downsizing vehicles constantly. I wonder if the new 7 seat Rogue will have an impact on Pathfinder sales at all? The availability to carry 7 passengers in a vehicle not the size of the Pathfinder will be a big plus to the Rogue, already a very popular vehicle with females....

Now obviously the Rogue cannot and will not compete with the Pathfinder in terms of power, fitted with a monospec 2.5 I4 pushing 170hp and 175 lb-ft through Nissans tried and true CVT ;)

I have to think the Rogue will be able to replace the Pathfinder on a lot of people shopping lists, becasue of its smaller size and capabilities...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm surprised that Toyota didn't try 3 row seating in their new Rav4.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good to see Nissan adding a 3rd row to their compact SUV. Seeing as Chrysler and General Motor already did it their small SUV. I'm sure Honda, Mazda, and Toyota will join the bandwagon soon. The New Rogue is as big as the Murano. I don't know but Nissan might discontinue the Murano since it's priced close to the Pathfinder and the Cargo space in the Rogue is bigger than the Murano. Mazda did the same thing same with the CX-7 when the CX-5 came out. If there's a available V6 in the new Rogue, I will definitely pick it over the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a Rogue currently - it's a great little car. Due to a new addition to family, I want to get a Pathfinder Hybrid - so waiting for that to finally show up.

But this new Rogue definitely sounds interesting - will have to see how bad that third row is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bad idea putting a 3rd row in the Rogue because all it does is set people up for disappointment. You initially get excited because you can get a 7-pass vehicle for a very reasonable price, but once you check it our or even once you purchase it you realize it is only useful for very small children. Toyota offered a 3rd row option in the RAV4 for many years and just discontinuued it this year with the redesigned model for the very reasons I mentioned above - people just weren't happy with it.

I have a 2008 Rogue and I can see that the redesign addresses a lot of the issues I have with the car, mainly a lot of cost cutting measures that have really annoyed me over the years - it appears that the 2014 is much more upscale than the outgoing model but don't kid yourself, it's not a Pathfinder. The QR25 engine is noisy, especially in cold weather, but that's the trade-off for the efficiency - it has a direct, simple top end without hydraulic lifters like the NA manufacturers. And this is not the tired-and-true CVT from the previous model years, this is the "next-generation" CVT like the current Pathfinder and Altima with the external planetary gearset, and this is why the new model is much more efficient than the old.

The price tag looks very appealing on the Rogue, but if you need a 7-passenger vehicle this probably won't cut it, even if you have small kids they grow fast and in a few years they will be complaining about the lack of space and asking for a bigger car, so in the long run you won't save any money albeit the fuel efficiency is impressive.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic, take one for a test drive first and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This new Rogue will be a huge hit for Nissan. Looks like they are coming after the top competitors of the segment. I like what they've done with the styling and added alot of tech. I do see it affecting Murano sales, regardless Nissan will put up big numbers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just can't understand how you could fit a third row in the Rogue and still have it be comfortable. It must be one of those backseats that is only good for small people and children. If that is the case then it isn't really very useful. I'm just not sure that it will sell that well. If you want to seat more people I feel like you need a bigger vehicle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just can't understand how you could fit a third row in the Rogue and still have it be comfortable. It must be one of those backseats that is only good for small people and children. If that is the case then it isn't really very useful. I'm just not sure that it will sell that well. If you want to seat more people I feel like you need a bigger vehicle.
What if you want to haul a couple of extra people twice a year and on a long enough trip that would not justify having to bring two cars?

A larger vehicle comes with a significantly higher price (Pathy vs Rogue), much worse gas mileage, higher maintenances costs, etc. that you have to deal with even when not using the extra space it provides.

If you truly need to haul 7 people in comfort, the Pathfinder isn't really the answer either - there are minivans - or even standard vans for that. So it's always a compromise of one sort or another.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
The pathfinder is fine for me since I don't have to haul the extra people even once a year. You never know but they can bring their own vehicle. It's just not worth it to have a bigger vehicle. Its nice to have but not necessary for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Rogue rear seat is not going to fit a normal sized adult...period, unless you want to subject your passengers to torture. A small kid or two, yes no problem but then there will be zero cargo space. For some people this will be what they need, but at the end of the day Nissan will likely discover what Toyota did with their 3-row RAV4 - nobody wants it and people who buy it aren't happy with it. The RAV4 offered a 3rd row option for 6 years, before the finally redesigned it and elimated the 3rd row for 2013.

The other reason why a 3-row Rogue is a bad idea: the QR2.5 4 cylinder engine, with max 170 horsepower and very little low-end torque is just not adequate to haul around more than 4-5 adults. I live with this engine every day, and its a good powertrain for my wife and I, and our two very small children in car seats, but there's no over-abundance of power. Add the weight of another row of seats and try to stick some people in there and that engine is under-powered and could be downright dangerous in certain situations.

AND the 3rd row will be a death trap in a collision situation. I'm amazed that these are even allowed on the road. First of all the head rests are going to be right against the rear glass, no cargo room behind the third row. A rear-end collision and those 3rd row passengers are toast. Also, the side curtain air bags are only provided for the first and second row occupants, the 3rd row gets no airbags - absolutely horrible to treat these occupants to sub-standard safety.

Parents, if you're considering this vehicle for your kids, please reconsider, the 3rd row is not safe. Pick a safe vehicle for your kids as the Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, or any minivan that has the highest safety standards for ALL occupants, not a cop-out cheap death trap like the Rogue 3rd row.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just to clarify, there are no standard crash tests for the extra 3rd row in these types of vehicles, they are a black hole area that currently flies under the radar. In 10 years from now this may change, and we'll look back at these vehicles with horror like we do now when looking back at vehicles from the '60's where seat belts were optional, or were lapbelts only without shoulder straps.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just to clarify, there are no standard crash tests for the extra 3rd row in these types of vehicles, they are a black hole area that currently flies under the radar. In 10 years from now this may change, and we'll look back at these vehicles with horror like we do now when looking back at vehicles from the '60's where seat belts were optional, or were lapbelts only without shoulder straps.
thats what i noticed, nothing for the 3rd row, they should really start to do rear-end tests to see how good or bad 3rd row passengers will be in a rear-end collision

1 - 13 of 13 Posts