Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a dealer replace my motor in 2014 Pathfinder (only 58k). 3 days later it wont start and most electrical items malfunctioning. Tells me alternator is shot. is this ONLY possibility or could it have been a bad install ( computer or wiring harness)? thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
What does the dealer want for replacing the alternator? AutoZone has rebuilt ones for under $200.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I'd ask for the alternator and have it tested before installing a new one. I believe places like Autozone will do that for you.
It's quite a coincidence that the alternator is to blame after they messed up with a bunch of electrical connectors.

Why was the engine replaced? Was it done under warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blamed me for sludge in the oil pan, i had no receipts for oil changes ( that were done). Bought it with 24K as a Certified Preowned. Carfax showed only 2 oil changes in the first 24k!. 7 year/100K warranty did nothing also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blamed me for sludge in the oil pan, i had no receipts for oil changes ( that were done). Bought it with 24K as a Certified Preowned. Carfax showed only 2 oil changes in the first 24k!. 7 year/100K warranty did nothing also.
I hope you don't mind me taking a step back here.. You had to pay for the engine replacement even though this vehicle had 5/60 powertrain AND the 7/100 "certified used" powertrain warranty remaining? I realize it's water under the bridge now, but that first 24K miles should be 100% the dealer. They made the decision to "certify" it before they sold it to you.

I'm on my second ex-rental late model Nissan and have owned 2-3 other ex-rentals in the past. First was our 2016 Nissan Quest and now our 2019 Pathfinder. Both only showed 1 oil change in the vehicle's first ~24K miles. It doesn't mean the oil wasn't changed more due to the fact all shops don't do the carfax thing. Regardless. I would have fought that tooth and nail.

In regards to a potential alternator thing. I wish I could help. I would start by measuring voltage across the battery with the vehicle idling. If you don't see ~14VDC under these conditions, there's typically a charging system issue. Could be the battery, could be the alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3 days later it wont start and most electrical items malfunctioning. Tells me alternator is shot.
Did you charge the battery and then start it? IMO, the vehicle should be able to run without "items malfunctioning" as long as the battery is fully charged. Even without a working alternator.

Also, I'm curious. What did it cost to replace your engine? I have a 2013 with 190K miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had no receipts for oil changes ( that were done).
Too late now, but if you had oil changes done at a place with a computer system, you could have had them print out duplicate receipts or service history.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts