Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking for floor jack to change my winter tires. Is 2 tonn will be enough? Usually 2 tonn can be find on promotions and much cheaper then 3.
Thanks

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,718 Posts
The vehicle weighs over 4000 lbs., with more than half on the front half. Do the math.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
88 Posts
While the 2 ton would work, but you will be right on the limit, i strongly recommend a 3 ton to avoid any issue.
Wait for a good sale on a 3 ton, i got mine for about $119 CAD (about $85-$90 US).

There are things not to get the cheap, and a floor jack is one of them in my opinion.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
The PF weights about 4300lb (1.96 tons)... the entire vehicle. Not sure what is the weight distribution but assuming 60/40 the front axle would weight 1.1 tons.
If you plan to lift one wheel at a time a 2 ton is enough. You can still lift the front or back axle, one at a time but I wouldn't recommend it.
A 2 ton jack will require much more physical force to lift a heavy vehicle than a 3 ton. Consider not only the capacity but the size of the floor jack. Most of those 2 ton ones are small and you might need to get under the vehicle to position it properly.
I just bought a 3 ton low profile rapid pump for $159 at Canadian Tire. Got a 2 ton that I no longer use and bought another 3 ton years a go for about $100.

Whatever you choose, remember to always use a good quality jack stand to support the vehicle while it is lifted, do not rely on the floor jack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The PF weights about 4300lb (1.96 tons)... the entire vehicle. Not sure what is the weight distribution but assuming 60/40 the front axle would weight 1.1 tons.
If you plan to lift one wheel at a time a 2 ton is enough. You can still lift the front or back axle, one at a time but I wouldn't recommend it.
A 2 ton jack will require much more physical force to lift a heavy vehicle than a 3 ton. Consider not only the capacity but the size of the floor jack. Most of those 2 ton ones are small and you might need to get under the vehicle to position it properly.
I just bought a 3 ton low profile rapid pump for $159 at Canadian Tire. Got a 2 ton that I no longer use and bought another 3 ton years a go for about $100.

Whatever you choose, remember to always use a good quality jack stand to support the vehicle while it is lifted, do not rely on the floor jack.
Apologies for opening up a Thread thats a number of months old, but I am inyerested in your comment ".......always use a good quality jack stand....." , I presume this also applies to the Jack too?

My question is, which manufacturers are considered good quality and offer reasonable pricing?

TIA🙂

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,718 Posts
Apologies for opening up a Thread thats a number of months old, but I am inyerested in your comment ".......always use a good quality jack stand....." , I presume this also applies to the Jack too?

My question is, which manufacturers are considered good quality and offer reasonable pricing?

TIA🙂
I'd consult reviews online like this one (5 Best Floor Jacks - May 2021 - BestReviews (chicagotribune.com) ) and compare prices. AutoZone, Home Depot and Lowes all sell jacks of decent quality. Wait for sales. It's not something you use often, so if you take care of even a lesser priced one, it should last a long time.

Reactions: StuWoolf
1 - 7 of 7 Posts