Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. Hoping to find someone with an answer to some questions. I recently purchased a 2013 Pathfinder with the platinum package but not the premium package, so I do not have the rear headrest DVD monitors. I have four kids and the rear DVD monitor is a must. I actually prefer the overhead flip down style. I know I can play DVDs in the factory player and watch them on the front screen while in park with the brake on, but I am wondering what my options are in getting a rear overhead monitor to work with the factory unit.

Can I connect an overhead monitor to the main system or is that not possible? I would assume there is some kind of connection behind the unit to allow this. If that is possible, can I still have the kids in the back use headphones to watch their movies while I listen to whatever I want in front? If so, how would I enable that? In my minivan with the factory dash player and overhead monitor, I just had to push the headphone button on the remote and that would enable the headphones and allow me to change sources to listen to whatever I wanted over the speakers.

Really hoping someone has encountered this and has some answers.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Usually connecting the overhead monitors to an AUX on the back of the monitors would do it but i'm not totally sure how all that stuff works.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You could look into aftermarket to install dvd players with monitors in the back. It would be seperate from your unit but that likely is the simplest way. It's going to be a bit trickier and likely more expensive to incorporate it with your stock unit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check out headrestvideo.com. I used them in my Murano they were great. I ave them in my wife's 4runer as well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yep. That is also an option. Aftermarket dvd players with monitors in the headrest. Had it in my older CRV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We went back and forth about getting the DVD system. It was a $2000 option or something like that. We ended up finding brackets that will mount iPads to the headrest. After buying two iPads with internet and the brackets, we are still cheaper than the DVD, plus we get bigger screens and the kids can take them in with them when we get to the hotel or wherever we're going. And each kid can watch their own movie or whatever.

Of course we couldn't finance it with the car, but still...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That is a pretty cool idea. One thing about the iPads with 3G internet is that they cost more than the non 3G ones. You can just buy one 3G iPad and turn tethering on and run wifi to the other non 3G iPad. Hope that makes sense. Your car also becomes a mobile wifi spot. Just make sure you get a big data plan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a big data plan. We get a discount because my wife works for the biggest health care provider in the area and that company has something like 30,000 Verizon devices.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hopefully, one of your Verizon phones will be an Android. I do the same thing with my kids when we travel and love the fact that we will have the ac power in the back seats. Even though my wife and I both have unlimited data on our phones, you cannot tether via Bluetooth for free with an iPhone. I was forced to buy a hot spot data plan in order to tether with my wife's phone. On our return trip when I was in the car, my android based phone worked at no additional charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hopefully, one of your Verizon phones will be an Android. I do the same thing with my kids when we travel and love the fact that we will have the ac power in the back seats. Even though my wife and I both have unlimited data on our phones, you cannot tether via Bluetooth for free with an iPhone. I was forced to buy a hot spot data plan in order to tether with my wife's phone. On our return trip when I was in the car, my android based phone worked at no additional charge.
We don't own anything that doesn't have an apple on it. Yeah, I'm one of those guys.

I wish I had power in the back seat though...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You actually can get that arranged. When I installed the monitors into my headrest for my old Honda CRV the guys who installed it wired power from the front to the headrest monitors and also installed an extra cigarette power plug right by the bottom of the center console in the back. It looks OEM. Wish I had a photo though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I personally haven't done this myself, but I have seen other people do it. I would install a PS3 which be good for movies and games. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would never consider installing a playstation in the back for the kids in fear that they will start to live in the car and refuse to exit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 9 inch auto dvd player headrest last week from the online shop named justcardvd The dvd is great and has a really good screen but after installtion it cannot be turned on. what is the problem? pls help

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I bought a 9 inch auto dvd player headrest last week from the online shop named justcardvd The dvd is great and has a really good screen but after installtion it cannot be turned on. what is the problem? pls help
If I were you I would try to take it apart my self to look for any loose wires which in some cases are the main cause, unless it something more, like a bad fuse. Your better off taking it to the shop that installed it, save yourself the trouble.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The statement that you can't tether for free with an iPhone isn't true. On AT&T and Verizon, as long as you have one of their new "all in one" plans, you can tether for free. I do it all the time. (Actually, you can do it with their old plans too, but they then tack on a crazy tethering charge.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts