Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search and didn't find any reference to this exact product. So... we we all know the rear sags bad, but I don't want to mess up the ride comfort.

In looking at all the options, spacers, bags, spring helpers, springs. I think I want to try springs. King Springs in Australia sells 2" taller springs, KDRR-99. I still need to find out a quote on shipping, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be too bad if I pick the slowest option.

http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/product-detail?part_number=KDRR-99&barcode=&brand=King Springs&clear_mm=yes

Just wondering what the thoughts are on this, drawbacks I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mate works for eibach Springs, he said he could size up an existing product or get them made for the R52 but I have been lazy and haven't gotten around to taking the car to him as he will need to remove existing to get them sized correctly.

Going away for a few weeks holiday but will do it when I get back so that it can benefit all of us on this forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only difference between the 2 is that Dobinson state 30mm lift but also have a heavier spring to counter a bull bar or winch, King do not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So... Finally, after 3 years I bit the bullet and bought Dobinson C45-421 springs for the rear.. These are the medium duty springs that provide 30mm of lift at stock weight and should be identical to stock spring height with 100-250kg.

Guy to talk to is David Otero, he was very helpful and responded to emails quickly. [email protected]

I am very happy with how things turned out. Pictures will show that the vehicle is now perfectly level with no sag. It no longer squats when I accelerate. It doesn't feel like it's dragging it's ass when going down a bumpy road. The ride is marginally stiffer, but to me it feels better. Confidence inspiring.

Install took about 2 hours in the backyard with 2 jacks, a jack stand and basic hand tools. Hardest part was getting the bolt back in.

On to the pictures... Will post more pictures later with my travel trailer. Don't have any before pictures, but with my 3500lb trailer with 415lb tongue weight. It squatted bad.

Before, look at the space from the wheel to the fender.

The bolt you have to take out, 18mm for bolt and nut. Need a box end wrench as a socket wont fit on the nut properly, needs a deep socket but there isnt enough room.

Old vs New... So much more coil to work with, Nissan really cheaped out.

First coil installed.

After, gaps from wheel to fender look and measure identical now. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2017 OEM springs likely wont fix the problem. Nissan groups both springs into the same category Just park next to an 18.. Doesn't look any different.

They were $285 US shipping included, about $385 CAD after conversion.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok... Pics with my 410 lb tongue weight trailer (according to Jayco, I dont have a scale that holds that much).

I kinda wish I had before pics, but I'd say it's riding an inch higher easy, just slighlty below my stock sag without weight before the springs were put in.

Vehicle without the trailer.

With trailer, no weight distribution (front foot is off the ground 1/2")

With trailer, with weight distribution

Rear dropped 3/4", front is up 1/2" compared to no trailer. Ground is relatively level.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very nice I was about to buy some air units for when towing my boat lol this is way better
That was my thought... Put them in and forget about it. Didn't want to deal with checking/adding pressure all the time and eventual leaks.

Hope it helps you too, after a few days and towing the TT 200kms down a very rough/ very hilly road with no problems. I'm still as happy as day one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parked next to another Pathfinder today, tried to snap the pic discretely, so it's not necessarily the best angle but gives a pretty good idea to how much it improves the looks when its not sagging. Surprised how much bigger my vehicle looks considering I was slightly closer to their vehicle when taking the pic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looks like they rebadged a car to make it look like a Pathfinder next to yours.... Crazy

2017 Pathfinder SL Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx
4816 lbs dry wieght

·
Registered
101 Posts
Parked next to another Pathfinder today, tried to snap the pic discretely, so it's not necessarily the best angle but gives a pretty good idea to how much it improves the looks when its not sagging. Surprised how much bigger my vehicle looks considering I was slightly closer to their vehicle when taking the pic.

Dude, you and I are almost twins. :)

And the saggy rear has been bugging the **** out of me! So, thank you for finding the fix!

Has the handling improved while towing?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Silly question, but my 2017 PF is supposed to have stiffer springs (not sure the % increase), but would it make a difference in the sag when towing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its supposed to be stiffer, but Nissan lists the same part number for both years. Stiffer spring will sag less if the same weight is applied.

As for the handling question, if its better, its not anything overly noticeable. Its definitely not worse.

However, Pathfinder is gone tomorrow. Wife and I want a bigger trailer and Im done with the terrible build quality of Nissan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow Wow.....I cannot afford the solution you found to the PF Saggy rear end and trailer weight issues.......I have only had my PF for 9 months. Thats $500/month just to pay off the interest on the purchase.

But you should have no problem pulling a bigger trailer now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The only difference between the 2 is that Dobinson state 30mm lift but also have a heavier spring to counter a bull bar or winch, King do not.
The front and rear coils have two different options.

For the front:
C45-420 Front coils will lift 30mm over original height with no added front weight
C45-422 Front coils will lift 30mm over original height with the added weight of 110-180LBS of constant weight, such as a bumper or winch

For the rear:
C45-421 Rear coils will remain at stock height with 300-500LBS constant weight (for example, towing a heavy trailer)
C45-421 Rear coils will lift 30mm over original height with the stock rear end weight (unloaded)
C45-423 Rear coils will lift 30mm over original height with the added weight of 300-500LBS of constant weight, (for example, towing a heavy trailer)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts