Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? Anyone else experience it?

When I turn on the rear heat/ac, it seems to turn on my front defogger(and AC which it does anytime when defogger is turned on) and there is little to no airflow coming out of the rear vents. Even on high, I could hold a lit match in front of the vents and it wouldn't even flicker. Not sure if this is a bug with my system or if anyone has experienced it? (Yes I have made sure the vent on/off switch is in upright/open position) I was going to go down to dealer and ask to test it on one, but figured I'd ask here first.

(I'm talking about the vents that are for the second row passengers--the vents on rear side of center console)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did you buy your Pathfinder?
Depending on when you got it, or it's build date, there could be a problem. Stopping by the dealer, if you have time, might be another good thing to do.
Bought it in May--its a 2013 with a Dec 2012 build date

·
Registered
233 Posts
So back on track...You mentioned heat/AC but which one are specifically speaking of? Heat does come out of the floor and depending on temp setting with the AC it may come out of the top vents. I've noticed the temp setting should be in the low 70s or lower in order to come out the top vents. As the temp increases even with AC selected and while on the rear display (up front) I have noticed the airflow indicator pointing to the legs.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I remember reading about someone else complaining about this on this forum. A search should give you some answers. I remember reading a JX owner also complaining about this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go back and look at most of his older posts.(PowerDDanger) He is either scolding someone or acting like a know it all in pretty much all of them. I guess we are all aren't as smart as him, or have the amount of free time to scour the board to see if a topic has EVER been discussed.
Ahhhhhh.... I see..... we have a few of those in the other forum I frequent.....:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I don't want to single anyone out here, but I'll just say this:

Please, play nice.

We are a young forum and many of the members here are first time forum users. Though some of the points mentioned are certainly valid, using a bit of patience and courtesy is always appreciated.

If anyone has any concerns, please feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2013 SV, and I have been able to get heat blowing out of the rear air vents. I just activated the rear controls on the front display, pressed the A/C button to turn it off, and adjusted the temp, and then warm air blows out of the vents on the back of the center console.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, I had a feeling someone will make that joke when I wrote it. I personally tested it myself and it was working fine in my Pathfiner. Temperature was set to 90 degree and I can adjust the fan speed to control the airflow. It was blasting pretty good at max speed.
Did you turn it on from the second row or control from the front? I wonder if that makes a difference? I'll try it out myself today both ways.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is this normal? Anyone else experience it?

When I turn on the rear heat/ac, it seems to turn on my front defogger(and AC which it does anytime when defogger is turned on) and there is little to no airflow coming out of the rear vents. Even on high, I could hold a lit match in front of the vents and it wouldn't even flicker. Not sure if this is a bug with my system or if anyone has experienced it? (Yes I have made sure the vent on/off switch is in upright/open position) I was going to go down to dealer and ask to test it on one, but figured I'd ask here first.

(I'm talking about the vents that are for the second row passengers--the vents on rear side of center console)
So I vented (excuse the pun) about the rear heat last winter on this thread:
http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/288-rear-heat.html

It's very frustrating because the rear heat module doesn't work like its suppose to. I never went back to Nissan but I do plan to bring it up again shortly as the cold weather is here and I would like to get heated air through those top vents as advertised/manual.

Now, with regards to your specific problem, I do find it puzzling based on what you said you've done because those top vents should be pumping out air.

Here's a short operational video from Nissan on how to work the rear heat, maybe it will help you out:
Video

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you turn it on from the second row or control from the front? I wonder if that makes a difference? I'll try it out myself today both ways.
I confirmed that it worked from both the front and the rear controllers. The only time the rear buttons don't work is when you leave the rear heat/air displayed on the front screen. At the lowest fan speed, I can feel the hot hair on my hand about 6" or so away from the vent; at the highest speed and the vent pointing at my face, I can feel the hot air on my face sitting all the way back. The rear may have its own fan and heating core, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I turned the rear on again while driving this morning, even though the front was already blowing hot air, the air was coming out cold for a few minutes before it started to heat up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The rear does have it's own fan and heating coil ... unfortunately the heating coil isn't sufficient to heat up freezing air.

If anyone brings their PF to a dealership b/c of this let me know if they have a fix yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Getting this looked at at the dealer today. I can feel there is heat in the console vents, but there is no push from the fan. Rear heater set on max 32C, fan at max, and there is almost no airflow from the vents, and it seems to be getting worse, before there was a little airflow, now it is almost still air with a bit of radiant heat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got a call from the dealer and they said that the rear fans don't do much more than "someone breathing on your cheek" (service manager quote). I told him that was a joke and he totally agreed. He said he tested another on the lot, and got the same results. I hope that there is a real fix to this as it seems that some people on here can get it to work. Both my kids are in car seats, so the heat coming off of the heated seats don't help them.

I am going to be watching this post close, hopefully someone will get a good, 100% definate answer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 13 Plat Premium. When I turn on my REAR heat or AC, air will flow out of the REAR vents or from under the seats (if you are set to AUTO, then it will decide which) with no problem.

To test to make sure your rear vents work - just turn on rear heat or AC and then, while the REAR control screen is showing, press the mode button and set to VENT only. If it comes out of the rear vents, then you're probably fine. If not, then definitely a problem since you are telling the car to push all rear air out of the vents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To make it clear, when the rear HEAT is on, and it needs it (has been -40 C up here) there is nothing more than a slight whisper coming out of the middle row consol vents. I have not tried the 3rd row yet. I know when the AC is on and it is COOLING there is lots, almost too much, blowing coming from the middle row consol vents. '13 Plat. Premium. It seems that you are able to select where you are venting your air, I only can select the vent (picture pointing at your knees). Are you sure your heating is coming on? Like I said, there is lots of air when it is cooling, only heat has the problem. I really hope that I can get more blowing coming out of the vents, but when your dealer says that is how it is, what do you do? I don't know anyone else that has one, so I can't test.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts