Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new '14 PF, and I saw the thread about the '13 PF carseat check, but I had a question specifically about installing a rear facing convertible carseat.

When installing a rear-facing convertible carseat in the 2nd row, does anybody use the tether? The nissan instructions for the rear-facing car seat installation using the LATCH system don't mention the tether at all.

If you do use the tether, where do you attach it?

We own a Britax Boulevard. I think Britax's take on it is that using the tether isn't required, but suggested. The formal location for the tether attachment in the PF is on the back of the seat, which is fine for front facing installations, but for a rear facing install, that would mean the strap has to come back over the seat, making it difficult to impossible to get my son in the seat, or my wife would have to detach the tether, and reattach everytime they get in and out of the vehicle, which is often. Britax suggests finding a location on the floor in front of the 2nd row seat to attach the tether, but I haven't had much success finding such a location in the PF.

In my '06 Xterra, the tether attachment locations were also on the back of the 2nd row seats, but I was able to remove a plastic cover on one of the front seat posts and attach the tether there. The same location in the PF doesn't seem as accessible. It seems like the plastic cover could come off to expose the metal, but I couldn't figure out how to wrestle it off and I didn't want to break our brand new vehicle. Also, I'm not sure how it would interfere with the power seats.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the same problem and just skipped the tether. 34 years ago I just rode in my moms arms and I'm still here to tell about it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
just one more thing. If you feel insecure about how the install went take it to your local police station and ask if they can provide a free safety check of your install. Most will tell you yey or nay and if they don't like it will fix the install for free. That's what I did a couple of times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My understanding is that you don't use the tether in the rear facing position. The rear facing car seat we have doesn't even have one.

I found this and you're right, it looks ridiculously awkward!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rear facing, don't use the tether. One of the biggest things is getting that seat tight. Get IN the seat! I know it's crazy, but get in on your knees and use your weight to hold it down and yank the latch straps tight.

One tip, the mats that you can find to protect the seats do help some but I found a charcoal black bath rug at walmart (of all places) to put under the seat. His seat was installed for 8 months and when I took it out of the '13 to put in the new '14, the dents were so less than when I had in previous cars used those seat protectors (as in the Prince Lionheart brand mat).

Hope this helps a bit!

Ang

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it seems the benefits of tethering in rear facing are marginal, so I'm not overly concerned, but if there was a good solution, I thought I might try it. Just seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to add tether points underneath and behind both the driver and passenger seats.

We have a retired state trooper at our local hospital that stays up to date on training and inspects car seats prior to leaving the hospital, and also shows you how to correctly install it.

Our son just started walking, so we're also concerned about his shoes rubbing all over the front of the back seats. I saw that Brica made something called the Seat Guardian Plus that acts as a mat and seat protector, and it comes in tan, which appears might go OK with the almond leather, but it seems that car seat install gurus poo poo on it. I don't want to turn this into a car seat accessory thread, but if anybody has some other good suggestions that would be great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are other mod threads, what's wrong with a car seat thread? Lol
When our boys were rear facing, we had a mat that went on the back of the seat and under the car seat. It didn't affect the instillation on the car seat at all. I too wanted to keep the seat back clean.

Pardon any typos, this is minuscule on my phone screen. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went with the tan Brica Seat Guardian Plus. It was between that and the Diono Ultra-mat, which looks sportier, but only comes in black. The colors definitely aren't the same, but it's OK, and should serve it's purpose. The install was fine, and definitely feels as tight as it did prior to the seat guard. We've only had the vehicle 4 days, and I found 4 cheerios around the carseat when I removed it. That's an astounding 1 cheerio/day!

I like how the seat latch can be pushed down flush into the seat, as it made for a clean install. The latch would have definitely gotten in the way.....

seat_cover_1.jpg

This gives you the best idea of the color match, or lack thereof.....

seat_cover_2.jpg

The pouch hangs over the front of the seat perfectly.....

seat_cover_3.jpg

It's a pretty wide cover, which is nice b/c it'll catch more stuff, but if the carseat wasn't already preventing somebody from using the middle seat, this might....

seat_cover_4.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
We actually have the rear facing carseat in the middle seat, I can't drive long if the seat is forward at all, and my wife has sciatic nerve issues, so can't really scrunch forward either. As for the back seats, we can use the passenger side seat, but not the driver's side because the middle seat is so small.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts