Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an 07 pathfinder, both rear exterior handles have broken, both went brittle and snapped off. I purchased new handles, watched a couple of you tube videos and put them on. They seemed to work fine until I locked the car, after locking the car the handles do nothing until the doors are opened from the inside. Once the doors have been opened from the inside the external handles work again. Any one know where I'm going wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '08 Pathfinder. The same thing happened to me. The replacement handles I bought are metal, not the Nissan plastic ones and they don't seem to pull out as far - not sure if that should make a difference (it crossed my mind to remove the handles again and try to manually pull the wire to see if there's a 2nd stage that opens the lock - hope that makes sense). I haven't found the solution yet or had a chance to take the door lock mechanism out. I had also thought that perhaps the metal handles are earthing the lock, but I'm not sure. When I get a chance to take the door panel off and pull the locks out, I'll update this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've fixed my rear handles. The issue was that the cable was held out too far by the new handle, tricking the lock mechanism into thinking the handle was being held open while the unlock button is pressed and preventing the doors from unlocking.
I just bent the arm holding the outer sheath about 2mm towards the wire ball and now the mechanism works. I'll try to attach a photo.
Hood Trunk Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a guy on YouTube that explains the rear door locks in detail and even further fixes to do with weak springs. It's American, so the car is called an Exterra, but it's basically a Pathfinder. He has 8 videos in a series. Here's the link to the most details one explaining the issue:
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts