Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the rear cargo area protector? I noticed that it comes with replacement hinges for the cargo bin lid and the instructions says to replace the original hinges with the new ones before laying the protector on top of the floor lid. However, I compared the two hinges and both are exactly the same. Anybody know the reason for this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is curious! I would re-examine the hinges looking for part numbers that may be different. I would venture a guess that the hinges are slightly different to provide a little more clearance for the additional material of the protector when opened. I chose to purchase the WeatherTech protector instead of the factory one. It doesn't have the cutout for the decklid handle nor does it have the "aggressive hook-n-loop" to secure it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same thoughts as well. Both hinges have the same part number and are physically the same. The only thing I can think of is that maybe some of the cars that were manufactured earlier had different hinges.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need to replace the hinge because after the added weight with protector, the cargo cover will NOT stay up anymore when open. The hinge looks the same but actually has a higher tension in them so it will hold the cargo cover up when you open it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to replace the hinge because after the added weight with protector, the cargo cover will NOT stay up anymore when open. The hinge looks the same but actually has a higher tension in them so it will hold the cargo cover up when you open it.
I had the same thought as well, so I changed them. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
thanks for pointing that out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts