Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people throw HID lights in stock housings. I won't venture to comment on other states, but in Illinois, it's a violation of our vehicle code. It also doesn't produce crisp cutoffs or the optical clarity that I came to expect on previous VW and BMWs equipped with factory Bi-Xenon HIDs. Accordingly, I looked at options for a true HID retrofit, and ended up talking to Caesar at Lightworks.

Here's the finished result.

I'll get some pics once I have them installed on the car, as well. Lightwerkz made the whole process painless--highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That's amazing, this is exactly what we need. I think one more thing to consider when getting this done is to decide if you want an LED strip DRL installed or not. LED DRL strip can be added to the Pathfinder's headlights at the bottom curvy part and look very OEM.

my favorite angle...

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I wonder how they separate the lenses from the housing. I assume they're secured with screws in some way... or perhaps they have to be heated up with a heat gun and re-glued. when done.

Assuming you could separate the lens from the housing, I'd imagine it's just a matter of enlarging the halogen bulb mounting hole and gluing (or screwing) the projector module to the housing. All-in-all, it doesn't seem like rocket science. Wonder if the projector assemblies are readily available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wonder how they separate the lenses from the housing. I assume they're secured with screws in some way... or perhaps they have to be heated up with a heat gun and re-glued. when done.
The best way to do that is to heat it slowly and carefully in an oven. I've done this before to my headlights. It's very easy to separate after you heat it in an oven to soften the glue. If you look at their website, they mentioned putting that headlight in the oven also.

That is a great looking headlight and could possibly be the first 2013 Pathfinder projector headlight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those look sweet and with the LED strip I think would be even better. Contemplated putting HID's in the hologen housing just because of no other option tho I cant stand it but definitely will wait for these. Can't wait till production begins and a price comes out!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Those look sweet and with the LED strip I think would be even better. Contemplated putting HID's in the hologen housing just because of no other option tho I cant stand it but definitely will wait for these. Can't wait till production begins and a price comes out!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is just a one-off modification to an existing OEM headlight assembly. I wouldn't expect to see mass production of something like this unless someone starts building aftermarket headlights for the '13+ Pathfinder - and right now, that seems unlikely as there isn't really a big, established base of these vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is just a one-off customization...I purchased a spare set of housings, and sent them to Lightwerkz for the modification.

There are DIY methods, but I decided I wanted a professional install.

The parts are commercially available. These are the so-called "FX-R" bixenon projectors.

If you DIY, expect a cost around $400 for the best parts available. For a commercial install, it depends on a lot of factors. Probably $800-1200, depending on options and such, including parts. Time to complete was about a week, between shipping the lights and getting them back.

Pathfinding is correct--you bake them in an oven to soften the adhesive sealant, and then separate the lens from the body of the light. There's also some science to the alignment and such, and you need to reseal perfectly to avoid getting moisture in the lens...and that's why I opted for a pro install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is just a one-off customization...I purchased a spare set of housings, and sent them to Lightwerkz for the modification.

There are DIY methods, but I decided I wanted a professional install.

The parts are commercially available. These are the so-called "FX-R" bixenon projectors.

If you DIY, expect a cost around $400 for the best parts available. For a commercial install, it depends on a lot of factors. Probably $800-1200, depending on options and such, including parts. Time to complete was about a week, between shipping the lights and getting them back.

Pathfinding is correct--you bake them in an oven to soften the adhesive sealant, and then separate the lens from the body of the light. There's also some science to the alignment and such, and you need to reseal perfectly to avoid getting moisture in the lens...and that's why I opted for a pro install.
Your probably right about the mass production of these. Most will be content with the truck as is so there wouldn't really be a push for these. If someone can write-up or point me in the right direction to a DIY for this I might try it soon (this would be my first time ever, haha lets see how this turns out) but $400 sounds a lot better than almost a grand. As for the alignment how would you know if its aligned correctly?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Your probably right about the mass production of these. Most will be content with the truck as is so there wouldn't really be a push for these. If someone can write-up or point me in the right direction to a DIY for this I might try it soon (this would be my first time ever, haha lets see how this turns out) but $400 sounds a lot better than almost a grand. As for the alignment how would you know if its aligned correctly?
There is specialty equipment used to align headlights, particularly projectors/HID, where you have the potential to blind other drivers. You'd probably want to take it to a shop that has that equipment. I would think most decent body shops do (since replacing headlights happens often in front-end damage).

As far as DIY goes, you'll want to search out the specific projector assemblies lawfarm referred to earlier ("FX-R"). Once you have them in-hand, you'll be able to determine how they mount to the existing headlight assembly. I would imagine it would involve enlarging the existing bulb mount, which could probably be done with a steady hand and a Dremel tool. Then screwing into the assembly through the headlight housing.

Separate the lens from the headlight assembly, mount the projector in place of the H11 bulb mount and put it back together again with HID bulbs and the associated parts. Then you'd want to get the headlights aligned properly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The homebrew alignment method is to remove the housing, secure it to a table, power the lightbulb, and mark the light output on a wall. Then install the projector, and get it to match up with your markings.

There's a ton of info over here...

·
Registered
20 Posts
lawfarm, excellent choice. I have been corresponding with Caesar for a few weeks, but got busy on other things to pull the trigger on this.
I have a couple of questions...well one question and one request really. Reading in the Retrofit Source website, they mention that if the vehicle has a Can-Bus system, a can-bus wiring harness would be required. Do you know if the PF has a Can-Bus system?
As for the request - would love to see what the retrofitted headlights look like installed. Any chance you could post some pics?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pricing depends on who you go with

Ceaser is top notch but he charges some of the highest labor rates.

I know of other shops who will do just as good quality work for a lower price.

The OP got
FXR projectors and Apollo shrouds. They are being powered OEM Philips Bulbs, OEM Denso Ballasts and a Morimoto wiring harness
Those are Infiniti FX replica projectors with Apollo Shrouds (the ring around the projector)

Powered by OEM Phillips 85122+ bulbs (OEM grade D2S bulbs) and powered by the OEM Denso Ballast (highest in quality) and the harness to adapt your wiring to this new projector is Morimoto (highest quality aftermarket harness)

The headlights are heated up either by heatgun or an oven to seperate the lens.

You use screws, JB weld, and a dremel to basically RETROFIT/Custom Fit it to work.

The output with these aftermarket retrofit options are OEM quality but are usually even brighter (high quality and higher output D2s bulbs and clear projector lenses will improve brightness even more)

I have had projectors done in all the cars I've owned. I have used Ceasar once and this summer I plan to DIY retrofit a set of Morimoto MiniH1s into my winter beater.

Please post some cutoff photos and driving footage at night!! Those FX-R projectors have an awesome cutoff and built in clear lens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lawfarm, excellent choice. I have been corresponding with Caesar for a few weeks, but got busy on other things to pull the trigger on this.
I have a couple of questions...well one question and one request really. Reading in the Retrofit Source website, they mention that if the vehicle has a Can-Bus system, a can-bus wiring harness would be required. Do you know if the PF has a Can-Bus system?
As for the request - would love to see what the retrofitted headlights look like installed. Any chance you could post some pics?
No...my research thus far says it doesn't have CAN BUS.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just do it! Don't think about it :D

You wont regret it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts