Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Pathfinder SV with 52,000 miles 2wd in Miami, Florida US. One of my radiator fan started making a grinding noise. I made an inspection moving the fan blade with my hand (engine off) and it felt a little loose. This indicated it has a bad bearing. Since, I needed the car for my wife, I went ahead and unplugged the bad fan while I look for the part.

Went to the dealer to buy the fan motor only but like always they sell the entire fan assembly for $700+. After leaving the dealer, I passed by my local auto parts and they're saying the car is too new. They don't sell the part.

I've tried to look up the fan motor manufacturer but they don't sell to the public.

I ended up ordering the fan assembly from Parts geek.com. $200 with shipping. I will be doing the repair myself.

I'm really mad about the situation because a radiator fan suppose to last longer than 2 years. My suggestion to the new pathfinder owners is to buy the extended warranty.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks,
Javier

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is this not covered by your warranty???
I only had the bumper to bumper 36,000 miles or 3 years.
I have a 2015 Pathfinder SV with 52,000 miles 2wd in Miami, Florida US. One of my radiator fan started making a grinding noise. I made an inspection moving the fan blade with my hand (engine off) and it felt a little loose. This indicated it has a bad bearing. Since, I needed the car for my wife, I went ahead and unplugged the bad fan while I look for the part.

Went to the dealer to buy the fan motor only but like always they sell the entire fan assembly for $700+. After leaving the dealer, I passed by my local auto parts and they're saying the car is too new. They don't sell the part.

I've tried to look up the fan motor manufacturer but they don't sell to the public.

I ended up ordering the fan assembly from Parts geek.com. $200 with shipping. I will be doing the repair myself.

I'm really mad about the situation because a radiator fan suppose to last longer than 2 years. My suggestion to the new pathfinder owners is to buy the extended warranty.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks,
Javier

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to replace mine 2015 sv, at 70000 miles, but now my fan is constantly running on high even with air off. Mechanic tried replacing the control module but same result. Any ideas o n what could be causing the fan to be always on high? The fan is working right, mechanic was able to set to high/low through the computer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2 of the connectors are very similar on the control unit. The one big grey one only goes in one spot but perhaps the smaller grey and brown connector were mixed up. The brown connector is the very bottom. I can't say for sure if they can be switched or not i haven't tried but its possible. Whats the coolant temp at? If the coolant temp gets high the ecm will command both fans on max speed regardless of AC operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yesterday I brought my 2015 Pathfinder with 53,000 miles in for the rattling noisy cooling fan. I have an extended warranty & they said it was a known issue so it was replaced at no cost with part 21481-3JA2E on Service Bulletin NTB17-100. I asked if it's a known issue when are they going to announce a recall to save all owners the expense of their defective parts, he said maybe they will, good luck with that. Also had a noisy front right wheel bearing replaced at 48,000

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it does end up becoming a recall, anyone who paid the dealership to perform the replacement at their own cost will generally be reimbursed the amount. If it was done privately, and the fan was purchased through a Dealer you may have some recourse to get the part cost covered but that i cannot confirm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cooling fan on my 2015 Pathfinder started rattling at 80,000 kilometres, and I have determined Nissan will not warrant it under their power train warranty.
The fan that is vibrating in the shroud is the one related to the interior heating and air conditioning system, and it seems to always run when the interior heating/cooling fan is turned on, so I'm driving with the windows down right now.
The cost for Nissan to replace it is around $1200CAD for the part, and $750CAD for labour, and of course they want $100CAD to diagnose it. So all in, it will be north of $2000CAD for a critical component.
I have discovered after market parts are available for around $270CAD and there is some pretty good YouTube videos on how to install it. The unit I'm going to install is a TYC623760.
I've put well over a million kilometres on the Nissans I've owned over the last 35 years, and after this, Nissan has lost my loyalty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Theyre hosing you on labour. The flatrate time for that job is 1.5 hours on prodemand. I think chilton is 2.2. 99% of shops use either of those for quoting labour time. Warranty pay is even worse.

Call nissan canada and complain. If you service your vehicle with the dealer there is a good chance they may do a partial or full coverage. I believe the fans retail are aroubd 1200 and labour is a couple hundred. Worth a shot.

Worst case the tyc replacement are okay. Ive put a few in. Way cheaper than the oem units. Pm me if you need some details on the install. Basic handtools and a little finesse will have it in/out in an hour.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have replaced the fans 3 times on mine. I have learn that the Aftermarket fans don't last. The hardest part is getting the fan out. Be patience, it does come out from the top. Good luck.

Tip: Use the same factory fan module.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Theyre hosing you on labour. The flatrate time for that job is 1.5 hours on prodemand. I think chilton is 2.2. 99% of shops use either of those for quoting labour time. Warranty pay is even worse.

Call nissan canada and complain. If you service your vehicle with the dealer there is a good chance they may do a partial or full coverage. I believe the fans retail are aroubd 1200 and labour is a couple hundred. Worth a shot.

Worst case the tyc replacement are okay. Ive put a few in. Way cheaper than the oem units. Pm me if you need some details on the install. Basic handtools and a little finesse will have it in/out in an hour.
Thank-you for posting

I appreciate your advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have replaced the fans 3 times on mine. I have learn that the Aftermarket fans don't last. The hardest part is getting the fan out. Be patience, it does come out from the top. Good luck.

Tip: Use the same factory fan module.

Thank-you for your advice! I'm thinking the module might be part of the problem as the fan seems to run anytime the cabin heating/cooling fan is running. Any experience with that?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,379 Posts
Mine failed around 95,000 km. Replaced them with the TYC and remember paying about $250 on Amazon, didn't use the old module but kept it just in case.
I am at 130,000 km and so far so good, as bad as the aftermarket replacement could be, it cannot be worse than the crappy OEM. I wouldn't buy the OEM even if they gave me a 50% discount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine failed around 95,000 km. Replaced them with the TYC and remember paying about $250 on Amazon, didn't use the old module but kept it just in case.
I am at 130,000 km and so far so good, as bad as the aftermarket replacement could be, it cannot be worse than the crappy OEM. I wouldn't buy the OEM even if they gave me a 50% discount.
Thanks Jman.
My plan, like you, is using the module that comes with the TYC unit, and saving the old module and the old fan assembly as I figure I can always just replace one of the OEM fans with a TYC fan if one of the TYC motors craps out.. The TYC should be here on Friday, so it looks like it will be a weekend project.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank-you for your advice! I'm thinking the module might be part of the problem as the fan seems to run anytime the cabin heating/cooling fan is running. Any experience with that?
One of the problems I noticed with the aftermarket fans was that every time you switch the a/c on, the fan will have a delay on turning on. For example, oem fan will turn on immediately. Aftermarket will turn on in 2 seconds. In the meantime, high pressure is building up on the condenser, then the fans will turn on at high speed until it brings down the pressure.

You know that when you turn on the heater the compressor engages.
This is why your fans are on while the heater is on.
Also, the compressor even engages with fresh air on and a/c off.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,379 Posts
You know that when you turn on the heater the compressor engages.
This is why your fans are on while the heater is on.
This should only happen if you are running defrost or defrost/feet modes. AC will run to remove excess moisture.

Also, the compressor even engages with fresh air on and a/c off.
Yes, not sure why they even bothered putting an AC on/off button on the dash.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts