Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some very important questions for anyone that has seen their passenger airbag warning light on with a passenger in the seat greater than 110 pounds:

1) approximate weight and height of passenger
2) does their bottom contact the side bolsters of the seat (in other words, is their bottom when seated equal to the width of the seat bottom)
3) Can you consistantly reproduce the light coming on
4) Was this noticed before, after or before and after the passenger seat weight sensors were replaced under the recall in April of this year?
5) If your dealer has fixed the problem, how long have you driven it since it was fixed (ie - you have not seen the light back on), and what did the dealer do to fix it

Don't really need any other specific information. Your input would be greated appreciated. And yes, question 2 is not a joke, there is a specific reason for asking which ties into question 1. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the weight or how the person was sitting.

This is a known problem on the Infiniti JX and the problem is usually the sensor that detects if someone is sitting there or not is faulty.

Some owners had their seats replaced while others had the sensor reset and some had the sensor replaced.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the weight or how the person was sitting.

This is a known problem on the Infiniti JX and the problem is usually the sensor that detects if someone is sitting there or not is faulty.

Some owners had their seats replaced while others had the sensor reset and some had the sensor replaced.
Our tech told us that it does have to do with how the person is sitting, in that if they aren't sitting right on the sensor, it won't pick them up. This was their explanation with the problem I'm having with mine. The airbag will not disarm when my children (60 and 80 pounds) are in the seat, and will arm intermittently when my husband is in the seat.

I have not pushed this issue with the dealership since my house flooded 6 weeks ago and we have been preoccupied with that. However, that is almost finished, and now I can focus again on this vehicle and the numerous problems I am still having.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Video of passenger airbag warning light on with passenger in seat

Our tech told us that it does have to do with how the person is sitting, in that if they aren't sitting right on the sensor, it won't pick them up. This was their explanation with the problem I'm having with mine. The airbag will not disarm when my children (60 and 80 pounds) are in the seat, and will arm intermittently when my husband is in the seat.

I believe that it does have to do with the weight of the person, and if they are sitting on the side seat bolsters instead of between them. Below 108 pounds (like your kids) the light has to be ON and the airbag OFF. Above 108 pounds, the light should be OFF and the airbag ON. So no one in your family is protected at all times. Amazing that the tech admitted the defect.

By the way, here is the video of my warning light on with a passenger sitting in the seat upright and proper belted.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I've had mine looked at and everything came back fine. Didn't need to get anything replaced. I was told by the tech that the sensor goes though a I guess self check, kind of like a computer does, when you start the car and if the person isn't seated right when the vehicle starts then it kicks the airbag light. Mine does it very very rarely, the person who normally sits in that seat isn't large or small about 160lbs, and doesn't contact the bolsters when seated, and is 5'6". So i don't think it's the weight, height, or size that is affecting anything. I'm generally seated and starting the truck by time their sitting down and if I catch it at the right time it will kick the light. 9 times outta 10 it won't come on.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sensor would be the most common cause for an issue like this. Usually when functioning thing has a sensor and the system fails, sensors are usually to blame.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
All techs will say it's how you are sitting.

It's up to you if you think it's a problem or not.

I remember reading others were having constant problems with it.
If yours is just a once in a rare occurrence kind of issue than maybe it's not a problem and actually just a matter of how you are sitting.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
My light came on last night, with a passenger weighing 165 lbs. I have a 101/12 built 2013 with 2,500 miles. I will keep an eye on this as I find it to be a serious safety issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My light came on last night, with a passenger weighing 165 lbs. I have a 101/12 built 2013 with 2,500 miles. I will keep an eye on this as I find it to be a serious safety issue.

I would take it in for the dealer to look out. there is a campaign out for this issue, although Nissan says doesn't affect all vehicles. mine was affected and NOT on the campaign... due to build date / sensor #

·
Registered
4 Posts
Airbag does the same thing!

Our Airbag has done the same thing as long as we have owned our vehicle?
I have 19000km on it now and still happens? The light would stay on with my 15 yr old daughter sitting in the seat. She weighs over a 100lbs and is tall. When asking the dealership to check on it, they just said it was the way she sat in seat and that the airbag would still work with light on?

That's not very reassuring! Then on a trip lately while we were driving the light came on with my wife sitting in seat! She weighs more than my daughter and is larger and was sitting forward normally. We took it in for oil change and they said the same thing?!

I have insisted that that they record my problems in writing on EVERY service bill I have had so far BUT so far they don't give a crap!

Really wish Nissan would care more, and fix problem!:(

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our Airbag has done the same thing as long as we have owned our vehicle?
I have 19000km on it now and still happens? The light would stay on with my 15 yr old daughter sitting in the seat. She weighs over a 100lbs and is tall. When asking the dealership to check on it, they just said it was the way she sat in seat and that the airbag would still work with light on?

That's not very reassuring! Then on a trip lately while we were driving the light came on with my wife sitting in seat! She weighs more than my daughter and is larger and was sitting forward normally. We took it in for oil change and they said the same thing?!

I have insisted that that they record my problems in writing on EVERY service bill I have had so far BUT so far they don't give a crap!

Really wish Nissan would care more, and fix problem!:(
When the light is on, the airbag will not fire. It says that clearly in the owners manual. The next time they tell you that, ask them to put it in writing on their dealership letterhead, and sign and date it, and see what their reaction is.

When the light comes on, try having the wife or daughter sit facing straight ahead, with their legs squeezed together in the center of the seat bottom, no part of their legs or bottom touching the side bolsters. If the light goes out, fine. If it doesn't remind the dealer there was a recall on this item in April to replace the sensors and recalibrate them. Also remind them this is a very serious safety issue. Call the toll free Nissan consumer number if they don't comply.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Our PF front passenger airbag does the same as everyone else's. Some days my 14 year old son triggers the airbag to stay on, some days it turns off. Some days, it turns on and off as we are moving, with my son being perfectly still in the seat.

We have tried the experiment of him shifting weight to his legs while we are moving, and the light never changes. When we do this same experiment in our 2012 Subaru Outback, the airbag light instantly changes when he shifts his weight.

We have also experimented with family member's cars to see if he triggers the air bag in their cars. Every single car that we have tried, he triggers the air bag. Only our PF doesn't think he deserves an airbag in case of an accident.

I think this is a dangerous defect. If we were to get into a serious crash, I want to know that my 14 year old will have an airbag to protect him.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our PF front passenger airbag does the same as everyone else's. Some days my 14 year old son triggers the airbag to stay on, some days it turns off. Some days, it turns on and off as we are moving, with my son being perfectly still in the seat.

We have tried the experiment of him shifting weight to his legs while we are moving, and the light never changes. When we do this same experiment in our 2012 Subaru Outback, the airbag light instantly changes when he shifts his weight.

We have also experimented with family member's cars to see if he triggers the air bag in their cars. Every single car that we have tried, he triggers the air bag. Only our PF doesn't think he deserves an airbag in case of an accident.

I think this is a dangerous defect. If we were to get into a serious crash, I want to know that my 14 year old will have an airbag to protect him.
If he weighs 100 +/- 10 lbs, then the system is working right. You can test by having him sit in the seat and when the light comes on or stays on, put something at least 20 lbs in his lap and the light should go out. If that is the case, he should sit in the back until he puts on some weight.

If he weighs over 110 - 115 lbs, and changing the sitting position makes no difference, then the dealer should recalibrate the sensors as per the recall that came out in April of this year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If he weighs 100 +/- 10 lbs, then the system is working right. You can test by having him sit in the seat and when the light comes on or stays on, put something at least 20 lbs in his lap and the light should go out. If that is the case, he should sit in the back until he puts on some weight.

If he weighs over 110 - 115 lbs, and changing the sitting position makes no difference, then the dealer should recalibrate the sensors as per the recall that came out in April of this year.
We have already had the recall work done. The problem is still evident. The problem is that one day it's on, and the next it's off. Heck - some days it switches on and off, and his weight and position are not changing. I'm sorry, but my 14 year old should not have to ride in the back seat of the PF - he's not a toddler. In a few months, he will be driving the PF :eek:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have already had the recall work done. The problem is still evident. The problem is that one day it's on, and the next it's off. Heck - some days it switches on and off, and his weight and position are not changing. I'm sorry, but my 14 year old should not have to ride in the back seat of the PF - he's not a toddler. In a few months, he will be driving the PF :eek:
The trigger weight is 108 lbs, what is your son's weight?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I see a pattern with the passenger airbag light

I think I see a pattern with the passenger airbag light on mine.

1. When my wife sits there when the car is off and I start the car with my wife already sitting everything is fine.

2. If the car is already running and has been in Drive/Reverse and then my wife comes and sits, the passenger light will come on and stay on no matter what my wife does. If I turn off the car and turn it back on everything is fine again.

Is that what people are seeing? I can reproduce this problem about 90% of the time this way.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I see a pattern with the passenger airbag light

1. When my wife sits there when the car is off and I start the car with my wife already sitting everything is fine.

2. If the car is already running and has been in Drive/Reverse and then my wife comes and sits, the passenger light will come on and stay on no matter what my wife does. If I turn off the car and turn it back on everything is fine again.

Is that what people are seeing? I can reproduce this problem about 90% of the time this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts

This has happened to me twice, and is consistent with your observation.

In both instances, my wife was in the process of getting into the car when I hit the Start button. I.e. she was not seated on the sensor when power was applied.

In both instances, I turned the PF off at the next stop sign, shifted to park, restarted and the light extinguished.

Since we discovered this, I do not hit the Start button until she is fully seated, and the problem has never happened again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
brought my 2014 PF in to service at my nissan dealer… they checked everything and wasnt able to find any computer error code or what not. they reset the sensor thingy i dunno. what a waste of time.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This has happened to me twice, and is consistent with your observation.

In both instances, my wife was in the process of getting into the car when I hit the Start button. I.e. she was not seated on the sensor when power was applied.

In both instances, I turned the PF off at the next stop sign, shifted to park, restarted and the light extinguished.

Since we discovered this, I do not hit the Start button until she is fully seated, and the problem has never happened again.
It's great I'm not the only one but it's not that easy to avoid for me because when it is winter or summer we usually use the auto-start feature to warm/cool the car so we often get in when the car is already running. I have to take my car to the dealer and show him or better yet call Nissan and explain to them how I am making this happen. This sounds like a software problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts