Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my projector retrofit. These headlights are huge and barely fit into my oven. It took a little bit of time but it was worth it. They look amazing the light output is amazing as well.

Factory cutoff with a lot of glare: 50W 6000K HID

Projector cutoff: 50W 6000K HID

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow that looks amazing. what projector did you use and what brand of HID ?
I used the Morimoto Mini D2S projectors with Bullet shrouds and the Morimoto HID. They were a little tricky to fit but I got them fitted in nicely and looked like they are factory made, even the backside. I took a trip from Michigan to Wisconsin this past weekend and the light looked amazing. The high beam worked great as well. It made driving at night on a dark highway with dear crossing a lot easier. The width and cutoff were better than many luxury cars I was next to during the trip. To me, it was worth the extra cost and labor to do a retrofit rather than just putting a HID kit into the stock headlights. In my comparison, the HID in the stock headlights was actually not as bad as other halogen headlights I have seen. Still, the actual light beams coming out of the stock headlights were limited to a blob in front of the car with the glare lighting up the surrounding area.

Picture of the back with the high beam connector:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow that looks amazing. what projector did you use and what brand of HID ?
I used the Morimoto Mini D2S projectors with Bullet shrouds and the Morimoto HID. They were a little tricky to fit but I got them fitted in nicely and looked like they are factory made, even the backside. I took a trip from Michigan to Wisconsin this past weekend and the light looked amazing. The high beam worked great as well. It made driving at night on a dark highway with dear crossing a lot easier. The width and cutoff were better than many luxury cars I was next to during the trip. To me, it was worth the extra cost and labor to do a retrofit rather than just putting a HID kit into the stock headlights. In my comparison, the HID in the stock headlights was actually not as bad as other halogen headlights I have seen. Still, the actual light beams coming out of the stock headlights were limited to a blob in front of the car with the glare lighting up the surrounding area.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Wow, thanks for sharing, great info in this thread. Too bad you didn't do a DIY, would be great for those no familiar with the process that would like to go through with it on their own.

How long did the whole process take you?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Wow that is a ton of glare. Well maybe because you are running a 50W HID kit so the glare is like twice as bad. The cutoff looks awesome. Get a video of driving in pitch black.

The performance of these Morimoto projectors and HID kits are awesome.

Just picked up a 35W Mori HID kit with the Mini H1 Projector for my winter car. Probably going to install it sometime next month. Can't wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very nice indeed.

I have the aftermarket bulbs in there stock reflectors, but plan to make the mod you did eventually if no aftermarket projector kits come along (which I think eventually will).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Very nice indeed.

I have the aftermarket bulbs in there stock reflectors, but plan to make the mod you did eventually if no aftermarket projector kits come along (which I think eventually will).
Eventually I think full aftermarket pathfinder headlights will become available with projectors, LED strip, etc that people can get for a low price but doubt it will look clean enough, might look "ricey"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you really have to remove the entire front bumper and grill in order to remove the headlights? I plan on doing the same retrofit myself, but if it requires to remove the bumper, I will just pass on it.

Thanks and great job by the way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for sharing, great info in this thread. Too bad you didn't do a DIY, would be great for those no familiar with the process that would like to go through with it on their own.

How long did the whole process take you?

Well, I lost motivation to take pictures and do a DIY while working 8 hours straight in the 80+ degree sun and 90 degree kitchen. Then two days later I had to redo everything again when the shroud fell off because I didn't use the right adhesive. So, I wasn't in the mood to do a write-up and just want to enjoy my new headlights for a bit. I have been checking Ebay to find a cheap passenger headlight to make a complete set with the spare driver side than I already have. If I find one then I might build another set and take my time to do a DIY. There is nothing special in the Pathfinder so if you are handy with tools and motivated to do a retrofit, you can watch a few videos on YouTube and you're all set to go.

I figured I would post up some pictures since some people, I was included, were waiting to see pictures of the final result in another post.

Did you really have to remove the entire front bumper and grill in order to remove the headlights?
Yes, the front grill connects to a bracket on each headlight and the two bottom bolts on the headlight are behind the bumper.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Eventually I think full aftermarket pathfinder headlights will become available with projectors, LED strip, etc that people can get for a low price but doubt it will look clean enough, might look "ricey"
And those are usually crap quality. Retrofitting the OEM housing is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts