Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been finding that the Nissan Pathfinder's navigation system's ETA numbers are fairly inaccurate. It seems that it over estimates how long that it will take for me to get places. And it also takes me on some fairly strange routes to get places.

Has anyone else had these problems with the navigation system?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will there be some type of software update to fix these issues, or is the navigation system set in stone?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took my first extended trip two weeks ago and used the Pathfinder Nav for the first time. At first I thought it was showing ETA - Estimated Time of Arrival. Then I realized it was showing Estimated Time to Destination (how long till you get there). After realizing this I noticed the Estimated Time to Destination was way off - it seemed to be calculating Estimated Time to Destination for 55 mph rather than the 80 mph I was running most of the way. Of course, the closer I got, the closer the Estimated Time to Destination moved to reality. I could find no place in the menu to change between Estimated Time to Destination and Estimated Time of Arrival (like I can on my Garmin).
In regard to taking you by strange routes, you can select in the menu whether you want the most direct route or the fastest route and whether to include or exclude tollroads, car ferrys, unimproved roads - and some other options I can't remember. Depending what is selected you will get different options - the fastest route may not be the most direct, but if it is all interstate as opposed to two-lane roads that's what you will get if fastest route is selected.​

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had no problems with my Nav yesterday...it took the best routes and worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got into the NAV manual last night (last resort, read the manual). The system shows only Estimated Time to Destination. There is no option to show Estimated Time of Arrival. The system defaults to automatic settings for average mph for different types of roads - freeway, highway, residential - there are five options. If you go out of the automatic mode you can set the average speed for each type of road. When I deselected automatic mode and went to freeway, it was set at 55 mph. Each type road had a pretty low average speed setting. I raised them significantly, so we'll see if that makes Estimated Time to Destination closer to reality.

Reactions: CR7

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got into the NAV manual last night (last resort, read the manual). The system shows only Estimated Time to Destination. There is no option to show Estimated Time of Arrival. The system defaults to automatic settings for average mph for different types of roads - freeway, highway, residential - there are five options. If you go out of the automatic mode you can set the average speed for each type of road. When I deselected automatic mode and went to freeway, it was set at 55 mph. Each type road had a pretty low average speed setting. I raised them significantly, so we'll see if that makes Estimated Time to Destination closer to reality.
Thanks for this great advice. I'll try setting the average speeds to the actual speeds that I regularly drive at and see if that fixes the issue. It would be great if that fixes the problem and I don't have to wait for some software update or take it into the dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My times have been way off also, but is seems to re calculate along the way. By the time I have almost arrived, it is fairly close (after being off by 90 minutes at the start )

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use a map system on my phone (Google Maps.) and it works way better than any navigation system I have seen in a car. I think that these in car navigation systems will become obsolete. You have to spend so much to get it put in the car in the first place, meanwhile you can get Google Maps for free on your phone and it works way better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use a map system on my phone (Google Maps.) and it works way better than any navigation system I have seen in a car. I think that these in car navigation systems will become obsolete. You have to spend so much to get it put in the car in the first place, meanwhile you can get Google Maps for free on your phone and it works way better.
Totally agree... The sooner vehicle entertainment consoles use something like the Android OS as standard, the better. The current model is archaic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
taking me to local roads instead of highway route

We have a 2013 PLATINUM MODEL. We went to several trips from New York to New Jersey and instead to directing me to highway I-78 it will direct me to a local road that has a lot of stop sign. This model has so much problem. It is so hard to get rid of it because the resale value is so low, unlike the old models are much better value and reliable in all weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 2016 PF, and the navigation system is the worst I have ever used. I have used it for long trips from Washington, DC to as far south as NC and as far north as NY, and the built in navigation just can't seem to provide an efficient route to anywhere. Regardless of which setting is used, it seems to not want to use main highways - for instance I-95 is the main interstate between DC and NC, but for this nav system seems to always want to get off the highway and use back roads. It may be a shorter distance, but it could double the driving time.

It's pretty much a wasted add-on option. I now use my phone for navigation, and not the $1000+ system in the car.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Pretty much ALL of the Pathfinder's audio/gps/tech/BT is hopeless. Sorry that you wasted money on the GPS. Pretty much the crappiest Android/iPhone gps apps are still lightyears ahead of what unsuspecting rubes buy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pretty much ALL of the Pathfinder's audio/gps/tech/BT is hopeless. Sorry that you wasted money on the GPS. Pretty much the crappiest Android/iPhone gps apps are still lightyears ahead of what unsuspecting rubes buy.
13 boes speakers are good as well as the platinum bluetooth connection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts