Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Premium Nissan brake parts, vs. Value Advantage parts

16K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  eaglei22 
#1 ·
hey all, I have a 2015 Path Platinum with 70k on it. Brakes are due, so I'm getting them done at the dealer, with the Premium parts. But I am curious to know if there is anyone out there that has any experience comparing the two products Nissan offers? I was told the warranty is the same, but let me know about all other aspects, including noise, performance, wear, etc.

thanks

#2 ·
I always do OEM parts from name brand manufacturers. Way cheaper that way and I can pick my own pads/rotors. I don't know if your dealer has good prices but mine wanted almost $900 for both front and rear pads and rotors.

I get the whole thing done for less than half at an Indy shop with better than OEM parts that I buy myself cause let's face it, the reason that these Nissan cars are so cheap is that the parts in them are cheap. I've been replacing my parts with best quality parts. Better brakes, better tires, better lights - it's a start...

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2002 BMW 325XI

#3 ·
done all 3 options, OEM, Wilwood & Baer kits, and cheap autozone brake parts (rotors & pads) Unless you tow daily/weekly and or are driving it like a rallycar each time behind the wheel cheap autozone/advance/pepboys/orilleys/napa/western/rock auto & OEM are fine as its all in our driving habits Now that im older I dont drive hard like I used to, so brakes are once the lifetime I own the vehicle. But also do all my own repairs the last 30 years of owning vehicles from weekend drag racing now now just towing the boat to the lake on weekends.

#6 ·
I always use aftermarket, I don't have a money tree in my backyard to justify paying the ridiculous prices at the dealer for parts Nissan does not manufacture.
I also buy almost every part at Rockauto which is about 60% (including shipping and conversion rate) of what the same parts sell for in Canada. For me is a 60 minute drive to the US so I just buy the parts ahead of time, when possible.
I prefer ceramic pads, not really married to any brand in particular. I just not buy the cheapest or unknown brand nor the priciest one.

About 3 months ago I replaced pads and rotors in all 4 wheels. I used:
Rear Pads
Rear Rotors - bought coated rotors this time. Rotors were replaced by Nissan under warranty and only lasted about 50k km (31k miles) before they badly rusted.
Front Pads
Rear Rotors

#9 ·
thanks for all the input everyone, I'll be getting the Nissan OEM top of the line parts. I simply don't have any faith in the aftermarket stuff that I would have to research and have a shop install, I've had terrible luck with mechanics installing parts they claim are top notch, when they are in fact just junk they buy on ebay. NOTE: I was told that the Pathfinder is very hard on brakes because it applies them while turning and holds them even after releasing the pedal (this is apparently a design feature to stop the vehicle from leaning or "diving" when braking).

when I need to change the brakes again, ill make sure to give a full review here.

cheers

#17 ·
Did your pad kit come with hardware? I am looking into doing my Altima, and noticed the OEM pads do not come with the hardware, and they're an additional $60 per axle. Where the advantage pads come with the hardware. Just wondering if you had to purchase the hardware separately and if you did, did you do OEM or find an alternative. If an alternative what was your experience. Thanks!

#10 ·
And that is why I buy my own parts and do my own brakes. I do not trust even the dealer on this, they serviced the brakes and didn't even lube the sliding pins, installed cheap rotors and didn't bother to adjust the parking brake.

Most modern vehicles with traction and stability control use the brakes to perform those actions. On the Pathfinder, the rear brakes wear prematurely because they are too small for the size of the vehicle. I remember someone said they were the same pads as in the Maxima.

#13 ·
I agree that its very hard to trust the dealer too. I will be asking to receive all the boxes and the product numbers for the new parts. That all the work is done behind closed doors with absolutely no admittance gives me a lot of doubt about what happens when no one is looking. I've heard too many horror stories from friends who worked in shops.

But, since brakes are a life safety system of the vehicle, I am no longer prepared to take any chances by doing my own brake job, I'm not a mechanic, and with the kids in the car, I just wouldn't sleep at night.

Jman, interesting note about the size of the pads

Thanks for the heads up Geomobile, I'll make sure to only get premium parts

MrOEMvQ, I will keep an eye out for sure when they put the new parts on for the "MADE IN ..." stamp. Thanks

#11 ·
I had ft struts done by my Nissan dealer. I bought the Value Advantage model and they lasted 14 months and 5000 miles. Because they were over the 12 warranty, I got screwed. Dealership stepped up a little and replaced with the Premium model with lifetime warranty. My advice, don't do Value if you choose to have the job at the dealership.

#15 ·
Hi Bushman, I have gone to 3 dealers now while dealing with a separate issue with my Pf, and although one mechanic did let me go back once, I've been denied at every attempt since. Its extremely frustrating, but I understand the liability full well... but there are ways to make the area safe for people to enter and have a look at their own vehicles.

Does anyone know if the Value Advantage parts come in different packaging than the Premium parts? I'm just trying to figure out how i will be able to tell the difference when/if they show me the box. What about the parts themselves, are there any clear differences I'll be able to see once they're installed?

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.