Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Need some advice regarding Pathfinder and towing...
I purchased a travel trailer. see specs below...
PF is rated at 6000 lb. This looks okay but I wanted to get confirmation.
I am considering 2017+ (leaning towards 2019 or 2020 S, SV may be SL model).

I am looking at buying PF for towing the trailer few times a year otherwise normal use.
I do intend to do cross country trips in 2-3 years so need to make sure this is right vehicle (maybe i should consider trucks :)) I like the nice SUV though...

So the trailer is in Minnesota and I live 1400 miles away.
1) Buy PF locally, get hitch installed do round trip to get trailer.
What pre-wiring PF comes with? I need 12 v constant on 7 way connector to add wireless break controller.
The trailer does have electric brakes.
If I get new one can dealer quickly install wiring? I can always get hitch installed at U-Haul.

2) Fly and buy PF near Minnesota, get hitch installed and bring trailer home (saves me 3 days of driving).
I don't like negotiating remote with car dealers as they don't give you best prices (Truecar prices are NOT good anymore, too many extras added after initial low price by dealers).
Can dealer install tow package if I order early enough?
I feel rushed to buy car and get it setup correctly for towing while away from home.
I can pull this off only if I get a good written sales/purchase offer and no surprises when I go to pick up the car.

3) fly, rent u-haul truck one way (it will cost me $1000).
Do U-haul trucks come with standard 7 way connector? (I am going to call them tomorrow).
If their connector has 12v constant pin then I can purchase wireless break controller that plugs into 7 way connector and gives me electric break control on rental truck (AND I can use it on my future tow vehicle).

BTW: trailer seller has included stabilizing hitch.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks,
Robert
--------------- Trailer specs ------------------
Gross Dry Weight 3980 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 425 Lbs.
Axle Weight 3555 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1520 Lbs.
GVWR 5500 Lbs.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,253 Posts
Hey, Robert! Welcome to the forum!

From the trailer specs you posted, you're pushing the PF limits, but it's doable. Remember, you have to also figure in the weight of your gear and passengers when towing, so keep that in mind. I'd recommend buying one with the tow package already installed. That means an SV and up. That way, you have all the harnesses and connections you need.

As far as your travel options go, that's a personal decision, but I'd buy locally and then do the road trip. It will give you the most peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Robert! Welcome to the forum!

From the trailer specs you posted, you're pushing the PF limits, but it's doable. Remember, you have to also figure in the weight of your gear and passengers when towing, so keep that in mind. I'd recommend buying one with the tow package already installed. That means an SV and up. That way, you have all the harnesses and connections you need.

As far as your travel options go, that's a personal decision, but I'd buy locally and then do the road trip. It will give you the most peace of mind.
Hi Jay,
Thanks for pointing out SV and up including wiring harness.
I just found out that I can have the company ship for me (few hundred $ more than U-Haul rental).
I don't mind renting U-Haul but my problem is I don't know if U-Haul truck would include electric break controller.

Having it shipped will allow me to properly research the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
536 Posts
Robert, the maximum gross combined weight rating of everything is 11000 lbs on the 2017+ PF. Figure on the pathfinder itself weighing ~4600lbs. Add some passengers and gear and you could easily be over 5000lbs. This per specs leaves you with 6000lbs max for the whole trailer load. IMO, that is going to be a white knuckler of a cross-country trip, with occasional pulling seat upholstery out of your butt crack. For local runs, to maybe ~250miles probably perfectly do-able.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,376 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

As Jay said, buy one that comes withe the factory towing package. All it includes is the hitch and the already wired 7 pin connector but many here have had difficulties wiring the lights when not using the OEM harness.
All 2013+ Pathfinders come with a transmission cooler and the harness for the brake controller.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all great info.
Is it safe to say if I get SV or SL it will have towing wiring (Don't care if I have to get hitch installed) at the rear of the car?

Good to know transmission cooler is there and wiring harness for break controller (I could install the break controller myself) Or have U-Haul install break controller and hitch.

Regarding weight. As stated above dry weight is about 4000 lbs so even if I add another 1000 lbs. that still leaves 6000 lbs for rest of the car and load in the car. For any longer distance it would be just me and wife and we don't intend to load up the trailer with extra gear. So on paper this is still okay.
My other options is used MB GLE 350 which is rated at 7200 lbs. but it will cost me another 10K.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't forget to include the weight of a weight distribution hitch you are going to need with a 5000lb travel trailer, plus you will most likely need air bags in the rear springs of the pathfinder to keep the rear-end from squatting to the ground. It's going to squat badly, even with the WDH.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy from whom I bought the trailer was using Ford Explorer without any problems.
Ford is rated at 5600 lbs. So Pathfinder is definitely better than that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The guy from whom I bought the trailer was using Ford Explorer without any problems.
Ford is rated at 5600 lbs. So Pathfinder is definitely better than that.
I'm not sure about that.

Read up on other PF owners experiences here. The back ends tend to squat badly, then you have to consider because of the suspension geometry, the rear tires will do this: /---\

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,376 Posts
Buy it with the tow package. It is not the hitch, that's easy, it is about the extra wiring/harness needed to add the 7 pin connector.
Also, the U-Haul hitch sits under the bumper making it much lower than the OEM and for you to install the OEM one, you'll need to cut the bumper. All can be done, just more work.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
...and it will look nicer. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
and depending on where you live, it will hide it when it gets all nice and rusty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, lot of learning about Pathfinder.
I have gone with MB GLE350 which has 7200 lb GVWR and 500lb tongue weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shoulda held out for the G-wagon.
That was the thing, I could NOT wait. I am going next weekend to pick up the trailer...
The GLE350 I bought already has the factory towing (hitch, suspension and 7 pin wiring).
Besides I got enthusiastic yes from wife so that finalized the decision... :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
As much as I like our PF, it's mostly because of the value thing. I bought my 2019 in October of 2019 as an ex-rental with 24K miles on it for ~$24K+TTL. I honestly wouldn't pay any more for one.

Your new to you Benz will be a tank in comparison.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Thanks guys, lot of learning about Pathfinder.
I have gone with MB GLE350 which has 7200 lb GVWR and 500lb tongue weight.
If you don't mind us asking, what did you pay for the GLE? What year?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Folks,
Need some advice regarding Pathfinder and towing...
I purchased a travel trailer. see specs below...
PF is rated at 6000 lb. This looks okay but I wanted to get confirmation.
I am considering 2017+ (leaning towards 2019 or 2020 S, SV may be SL model).

I am looking at buying PF for towing the trailer few times a year otherwise normal use.
I do intend to do cross country trips in 2-3 years so need to make sure this is right vehicle (maybe i should consider trucks :)) I like the nice SUV though...

So the trailer is in Minnesota and I live 1400 miles away.
1) Buy PF locally, get hitch installed do round trip to get trailer.
What pre-wiring PF comes with? I need 12 v constant on 7 way connector to add wireless break controller.
The trailer does have electric brakes.
If I get new one can dealer quickly install wiring? I can always get hitch installed at U-Haul.

2) Fly and buy PF near Minnesota, get hitch installed and bring trailer home (saves me 3 days of driving).
I don't like negotiating remote with car dealers as they don't give you best prices (Truecar prices are NOT good anymore, too many extras added after initial low price by dealers).
Can dealer install tow package if I order early enough?
I feel rushed to buy car and get it setup correctly for towing while away from home.
I can pull this off only if I get a good written sales/purchase offer and no surprises when I go to pick up the car.

3) fly, rent u-haul truck one way (it will cost me $1000).
Do U-haul trucks come with standard 7 way connector? (I am going to call them tomorrow).
If their connector has 12v constant pin then I can purchase wireless break controller that plugs into 7 way connector and gives me electric break control on rental truck (AND I can use it on my future tow vehicle).

BTW: trailer seller has included stabilizing hitch.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks,
Robert
--------------- Trailer specs ------------------
Gross Dry Weight 3980 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 425 Lbs.
Axle Weight 3555 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1520 Lbs.
GVWR 5500 Lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Robert
Have a base 2015 PF and a 1998 24' Coachmen camper. I purchased a 6000 lb hitch all the wiring, relays, and connectors from etrailer.com (yes your PF is wired but if not equipped from the factory or dealer you need to finish the job. I bought an equalizing hitch from a friend who had an extra. After etrailer's experts assured me it was exactly what I needed (they were very helpful). After installing all of the gear myself (with help from etrailer.com) I filled the tanks with water and propane, added all my usual equipment and went to the scales at a friend's trucking company. The combined weight of the package was 9780lbs. My owners manual claims the Gross Vehicle Combined Weight with the factory hitch is 10,000 lbs. With the setup I have the manual hints at another 1,000 lbs. The pathfinder does a great job towing my trailer clocks in 12 mpg and you hardly know you are towing. Not as simple a scenario you imagine but simple enough for most anyone to handle. Happy camping 😁👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you don't mind us asking, what did you pay for the GLE? What year?
Hi Jay,
I got 2016 GLE 350 4Matic with factory trailer hitch and wiring (29,350 miles)
I paid $32.4K (which I think is higher), but I needed right vehicle to go pick up the trailer.
If I had done flight and one way U-Haul it would have cost me $1500.
The hitch option alone is $575.
So having found SUV that can tow 7200 lb and ready to go was easy decision.

Keep in mind it's CPO with 18 months, unlimited miles full warranty by MB.
I would have paid close to 25-27K for new PF (NOT SL but S or SV).

It is built solid, I can tell by how heavy doors, hood etc. is.
Mileage will be terrible :)
I have 2019 Sport Hybrid MDX and love that car for it's performance.
MB interior is far superior to MDX and just wants to make you drive it.
For my towing purpose PF would have worked but very little room to spare.

Thank you all for honest recommendations.
Robert

1 - 20 of 24 Posts