Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 2015 owners! We found a really good conditions Pathfinder st 4x2, only 76k petrol. We really like and would get a mechanic to check it over but this model in Australia got really bad reviews and problems. I want to hear more people before dismissing this car. Thanks for any feedback .

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
955 Posts
If it's anything like a US model, Nissans are always hit/miss. I like them because they tend to be (or used to be) bargains when purchased used. As you've probably read, CVT issues, like any transmission issue, can be expensive. 4x2 is great because it takes a lot of components out of the picture.

Reactions: Foxiee

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
Welcome.
Unfortunately I really can't recommend a PF, you do get a lot for your money but all that gets washed away if you have transmission issues, more on the 2013-2016 models and there is no way to predict or ensure it will/will not happen. If you buy it and never have issues you'd have made a great purchase but as said, its a hit/miss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all,
Regretfully we are going to leave it. It’s a shame as it seemed a great car but I am too worried and the reviews are shocking. Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's anything like a US model, Nissans are always hit/miss. I like them because they tend to be (or used to be) bargains when purchased used. As you've probably read, CVT issues, like any transmission issue, can be expensive. 4x2 is great because it takes a lot of components out of the picture.
I think it’s like the us model! The car I found has only done $50.000 miles is excellent conditions too. The guy that’s selling it, is the second owner and apparently he is getting rid of it because he just got a knee operation and finds hard the foot brake. He seems a genuine seller and selling jt for about $15k US dollars and it’s local too! My husband doesn’t want to risk buying it though. What a shame, it’s a lot of car for the money, but if cvt keeps failing like the other owners it would be a very bad choice. I will be looking at 2016 plus, hopefully we can find one in similar conditions (but more money)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,661 Posts
It's a crap shoot for sure. Some of us have nothing but problems with their CVT while others have been trouble-free. If Nissan would have been more forthright about the transmissions early on, I think their sales and customer confidence down the line would have been greater as they corrected the problem years later.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think it’s like the us model! The car I found has only done $50.000 miles is excellent conditions too. The guy that’s selling it, is the second owner and apparently he is getting rid of it because he just got a knee operation and finds hard the foot brake. He seems a genuine seller and selling jt for about $15k US dollars and it’s local too! My husband doesn’t want to risk buying it though. What a shame, it’s a lot of car for the money, but if cvt keeps failing like the other owners it would be a very bad choice. I will be looking at 2016 plus, hopefully we can find one in similar conditions (but more money)
I believe the 2016 model year will have the same CVT as the 2015. 2017+ use an updated version, but this is not to say they're any better. The 2017+ will also come with direct fuel injection as opposed to the old tried and true port fuel injection. Direct injection can lead to more expensive maintenance and repairs. Manufacturers like DI today because it's easier for emissions control and you can squeeze more power out of the engine. I find it turns the engine oil black w/in a 1000 miles on mine. There's always something! LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a crap shoot for sure. Some of us have nothing but problems with their CVT while others have been trouble-free. If Nissan would have been more forthright about the transmissions early on, I think their sales and customer confidence down the line would have been greater as they corrected the problem years later.
I agree with you! Such an awful way to deal with it too! From reviews it seems they are not taking any responsibility! Shame on them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the 2016 model year will have the same CVT as the 2015. 2017+ use an updated version, but this is not to say they're any better. The 2017+ will also come with direct fuel injection as opposed to the old tried and true port fuel injection. Direct injection can lead to more expensive maintenance and repairs. Manufacturers like DI today because it's easier for emissions control and you can squeeze more power out of the engine. I find it turns the engine oil black w/in a 1000 miles on mine. There's always something! LOL.
Thanks for that. Good buy pathfinder!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update. I know this model has problems but I spoke to my mechanic. He said that the petrol 4x2 is reliable. He did a preinspection and car is good but needs two new back tyres and pad brakes (front and back). We got a further discussed and got the car for $18k Australian (less than 14k us). I hope we don’t regret, we just really liked it! Photos to follow

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I wish you well. Seriously. But ours has been highly unreliable over the 7 or so years we've owned it. AC getting fixed next week at a cost of almost a grand; probably have to change the rear diff seals (means pulling the axle with 5 hrs shop labour!) for another grand; and not to mention the CVTs (plural), motor mounts, computers, etc. I won't even touch a Nissan again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish you well. Seriously. But ours has been highly unreliable over the 7 or so years we've owned it. AC getting fixed next week at a cost of almost a grand; probably have to change the rear diff seals (means pulling the axle with 5 hrs shop labour!) for another grand; and not to mention the CVTs (plural), motor mounts, computers, etc. I won't even touch a Nissan again.
Thanks mate. That’s horrible! I hope that next week it’ll be your last expensive repair! I hope that I won’t have those problems. The one I’m buying looks and drives excellent. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Normally extended warranties are a sucker's bet, but if you can get one from a dealer (I had an aftermarket one and it was a PITA but it paid out in spades), do consider it. The Pathfinders are like my boat. And BOAT stands for "break out another thousand". :)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
BTW, when we get a replacement vehicle, I'll post the total list of repairs on this one. It'll shock some people. This PF has actually eclipsed our POS Grand Caravan AWD in terms of repair costs. And that van was affectionately named "Steve". Like Steve Austin the Six Million Dollar Van. (The Six Million Dollar Man - Wikipedia)

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
85 Posts
Hi,

While many had CVT and other issues, I fall in the no issues at all category. I had a used 2013 PF SV in 2015 (at approx. 38000km) drove it until Aug. 2019 (approx. 130000km) when we traded it for a 2019. No issues, besides breaks, tires (tyres), driver side bearing hub (and couple for manufacturer recalls). Note that I did not tow anything with it at that time.

I understand that is not the case for many others, but I think that many satisfied owners are silent as we tent to speak out more when not happy.

Still no doubt that the PF and Nissan CVT in general has more issues than good.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

While many had CVT and other issues, I fall in the no issues at all category. I had a used 2013 PF SV in 2015 (at approx. 38000km) drove it until Aug. 2019 (approx. 130000km) when we traded it for a 2019. No issues, besides breaks, tires (tyres), driver side bearing hub (and couple for manufacturer recalls). Note that I did not tow anything with it at that time.

I understand that is not the case for many others, but I think that many satisfied owners are silent as we tent to speak out more when not happy.

Still no doubt that the PF and Nissan CVT in general has more issues than good.

Good luck with your purchase!
Thanks for your feedback. Here in Australia there are hundreds of Holden Captiva for sale only in Sydney (Holden stopped in Australia in 2018), but not so many Pathfinders. So I am guessing there must be a lot of satisfied customers out there too.

Time will tell, I hope I don’t regret it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Time will tell, I hope I don’t regret it.
To me it wouldn't matter which make/model 2015 used vehicle you're buying. Any of them could have problems.

In regards to the 2013+ pathfinder, if you were to compare it's reliability to similar class domestic US models that sell many, many more, I think you're going to have better luck with a Pathfinder. I think what sours most owners is bad service experiences, dealer or otherwise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To me it wouldn't matter which make/model 2015 used vehicle you're buying. Any of them could have problems.

In regards to the 2013+ pathfinder, if you were to compare it's reliability to similar class domestic US models that sell many, many more, I think you're going to have better luck with a Pathfinder. I think what sours most owners is bad service experiences, dealer or otherwise.
You are spot on! Any car can have problems including new ones. Obviously with new you have full warranty, which is obvious since you are paying top $$

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
The issue how I see it is not so much if there is/isn't going the be a problem, is the cost of fixing it.
Buying a used vehicle is like the lottery and you never know what is going to happen, heck, I've seen brand new Mercedes' broken on the highway.
Buying a used vehicle known to suffer from a part/component that costs $250-500 to change/fix is way different from the one that will cost you $4-6k. That is the issue with our Pathy's.
As said, you get a lot for your money and if yours ends being trouble free, you could have made the deal of your lifetime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts