Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 PF Platinum shifts poorly when the temperature is roughly less than 40F. Runs fine until the winter.
I send it in to Nissan every winter, and they just say hmmmmm.... Last season they replaced the MAP sensor.

When the vehicle is just started and the temp is cold, maybe less than 40F, the vehicle drives like it is stuck in 1st gear of a standard transmission vehicle.

It will drive in high revs and if you take your foot off the throttle it will engine brake, so it drives very poorly for about 10-15 minutes until the vehicle warms up.

PF has 70K Kilometers(45K Miles). Vehicle has only had simple services has been engine oil and wiper blades, etc. No CVT oil changes done yet.

Thanks , for any feedback.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
770 Posts
It is normal like we discussed in your other post on this topic in another thread, but it shouldn't be as drastic as driving in 1st gear in a manual transmission vehicle.

Like said, very cold CVT fluid temp is just as dangerous as high fluid temp, thus the vehicle taking actions to warm itself up.

Reactions: wrmac

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting for a couple consistent cold days and then back to the dealer. They need to have it overnight so they can see it in the morning. I have to be there for the test drive so they do not BS me, again. They worked on it until the weather turned last year, then there was nothing for them to see.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah this will be a tough one if the techs don't find any stored trouble codes and all the data from the CVT looks good.

It almost sounds like the CVT fluid temp reads abnormally low at times and forces the unit to stay in that low range. Just a guess.

I wish you the best because unless there's codes set or it's an obvious mechanical issue they've seen before, you'll be back at square one.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,632 Posts
Mine doesn't "engine brake" even after it being parked outside in -30C (-22F) weather. Revs might (I don't recall) be on the high end while it warms but it will coast freely when I let go off the gas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting and thank you! Mine engine brakes,When the temps are very cold, from ~ 2750RPM down to around 1200 RPM(15-10 MPH), then a very noticeable release and the RPM instantly drops and bounces around 750-800 rpm. While cold it will run at what feels like a semi direct drive connection up to, I am estimating, 2600 RPM @ 40 mph. It stays in this "semi connected direct drive" condition until the vehicle is warm(10-15 minutes) or until you slow down to below 15 mph. When it gets cold again I will try to put up a video.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have not had the CVT Fluid changed or any other service performed on the CVT other than diagnostics. It was in the dealer about 5x during the winter for them to have a look and diagnose. I can only put it in when it is cold enough and I am in town.

During the time it was in for service they replaced the MAP sensor. After this time the weather warmed and the problem goes away.

We have only had two cold days so far this year and the problem is still there. I have to wait for a time we have cold temps for a couple days.

I was interested as well. I did ask the dealer last week if they believe that changing the CVT oil would help this problem. They said they did not think so. I also called another shop in the area and although they indicate that I should consider a flush soon, they also did not believe it will help resolve this problem.

The dealer wanted about $450 to change the CVT oil, so it is not my goto, at the moment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2019 Pathfinder Rock Creek SL and am experiencing the same issue as described in cold weather. I live in Iowa.

This is the first winter for this Pathfinder. Before the CVT warms up, which may take 10 minutes or so. The engine does not go under 2000 RPM while driving and doesn't down shift causing it to feel like an engine brake at slow speeds. When the vehicle is basically stopped the RPMs drop back down to normal until I begin driving again.

From my research this seems to be a normal occurrence in cold weather until the CVT heats up. I'm guessing that this is a move they made with the CVT after all the issues. I owned a 2013 Pathfinder that had the jutter/shudder issues and had the entire CVT replaced. I then only got about 75K miles on the new CVT before it went down. My old Pathfinder didn't do the cold weather warm up routine.

Just giving my two cents and wondering if I should be concerned that mine feels like an engine brake.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
770 Posts
Adam, I experienced the same with my 2019 Pathfinder yesterday. I don't get to drive it often, but I did yesterday from a cold start and it was about 10degF out. The engine RPMs stayed about 2000+ for 3-4 miles of steady state ~45mph driving.

This behavior is consistent with the other three CVT equipped vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting, I took mine into the shop and left it overnight and met the mechanic for a test drive in the morning.
The mechanic said he has never seen anything like this before and it is not right.
Mine did not do this the first year that i bought it and has gotten progressivly worse each winter and has been in the shop a few times for this issue.

He put it on the computer and took it for a ride. He said there were no codes but he had never seen graphs like what my PF was producing and he did not think it eas good.

At this point they are discussing whether to replace the valve body first or just going to replace the whole transmission.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You hate to see problems, but thank goodness this Tech found something. Finally!

Reactions: wrmac

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting, I took mine into the shop and left it overnight and met the mechanic for a test drive in the morning.
The mechanic said he has never seen anything like this before and it is not right.
Mine did not do this the first year that i bought it and has gotten progressivly worse each winter and has been in the shop a few times for this issue.

He put it on the computer and took it for a ride. He said there were no codes but he had never seen graphs like what my PF was producing and he did not think it eas good.

At this point they are discussing whether to replace the valve body first or just going to replace the whole transmission.
Any update as to what the dealer decided on your issue and fix?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not quite ready yet, I do not want to jinx a great thing.. Lets just say at this point I really appreciate my dealer and my warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I called my local dealer in Des Moines, IA. And he told me that this is a designed safety for the CVT to rev higher like this to warm it up. I was told that there wasn’t a need for me to bring it in. I have 13,000 miles on my 2019 Rock Creek SL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called my local dealer in Des Moines, IA. And he told me that this is a designed safety for the CVT to rev higher like this to warm it up. I was told that there wasn’t a need for me to bring it in. I have 13,000 miles on my 2019 Rock Creek SL.
If you are new to CVT and you are in a cold winter climate, what you are experiencing may be normal. I think part of the issue is that the CVT has its nuances they are annoying if you are used to good automatic transmission vehicles. Based on the CVT history we are all trying to identifying Normal from a $6000 expense......

They have replaced the Valve body in my PF this week for the problems that I described, which are abnormal(As described in previous posts). The PF is better but like Jman posted in another thread....I am not stoked about it. It still bounces around from time to time. Only time will tell and I will update if things change.

I think the following are normal behaviours when turning the PF on from a cold start. This means the physical engine/tranny are cold, not just the air temperature reading on the dash. So if you drove three hours ago @-2C it may still be warmed up enough to not operate as if it was a cold start.

• These are based on my experiences with cold temps around -2c to -10c
Normal- IMO
  • It will operate in this normal "cold mode"... until the parts warm up. Usually < 5 min.
  • The rpm may operate normal and stay low for about 1 min and then seem to go into this "Cold temp mode" It seems to take a minute or so to determine the parts are cold.
  • Then it seems normal that the rpm seems to hover very close to just over 2000rpm for various speeds upto around 60kph, until warm.
  • You might sense very light drag if you take your foot off the throttle to decelerate, but the rpm probably will hang @ around 2000 for city speeds up to 60kph.
  • This does not happen for every cold start, but only if the engine or tranny are actually cold.
  • If you coast from 40kph(No braking, just coasting) you will notice a very strong disengagement and re-engagement of the transmission at approx 27kph(18mph) So I think all cvt's do this. * Verified this behaviour on a brand new 2020 Rough*
  • That one can be very annoying in city driving if the PF is in this "Cold mode" as that is the speeds you will be transitioning to as you slow for turns at stop lights etc and the vehicle is bouncing all over the place.
Not Normal - IMO. These are only based on my experience. I have indicated what mine did before the Valve body replacement. Other may will have more.
  • Warm up should only take about 5 min at these temps. Mine would take about 15 min.
  • If you drove and warmed up the vehicle and parked for 10 min it should not act as if it is in "Cold mode " again when you start it. Mine often seemed to go into "Cold Mode" very easy after restart.
  • On a cold start and accelerating to 60kph would give you an rpm about 2700 and it would stick like that, like the cvt was in direct drive, so strong engine braking.
  • If I drove a whole tank of gas of just short city driving of less than 15 min drives driving very gingerly for the best economy I would expect 19-22L/100km(13mpg US)
When taken to the shop and hooked up to the computer, it was evident to the tech and Nissan, that there was a problem. But I do not think there was a code. The graph looked bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts