Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing that the fuel economy is well below the government ratings during the first 2,500 miles on our new pathfinder. The official rating is 20mpg city, 26mpg highway, and 22mpg combined.

With no cargo and just me in the vehicle, I have only been getting 17.5mpg city during my usual commute. I have reset the reading several times and it always returns a reading below 18mpg.

I was hoping that the highway fuel economy would be better on a road trip this weekend, but with only 2.5 people (me, my wife, and our infant) we were averaging 20mpg highway. I reset the reading several times at highway speeds with the cruise control set, but never saw a reading above 22.x at any point.

This is a FWD and we are using regular 87 octane fuel. Anyone else notice similar fuel economy below the official rating?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got the AWD but keep it locked in 2WD (not AUTO) I've been using 87 as well and on the highway around 60mph (no traffic) I got 29mpg, bumping up the speed to 75 dropped me down to 25.5ish. Stop lights and the car running while parked kills your mpg. At that 17.5mpg my guess is you drive with a heavy foot or you're in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
On long (4+ hours) highway trips I average about 25 mpg. For my daily drive to work and back on surface roads I average about 17 mpg. I have the AWD and keep it in auto. There's no reason I keep it in auto other than to see if I get worse gas milage than keeping it in 2WD. I don't.

·
Registered
234 Posts
On long (4+ hours) highway trips I average about 25 mpg. For my daily drive to work and back on surface roads I average about 17 mpg. I have the AWD and keep it in auto. There's no reason I keep it in auto other than to see if I get worse gas milage than keeping it in 2WD. I don't.
I have very similar experience. Great on the highway, lousy in the city. 25 / 17 is about right for me. I have the 4x4 and also keep it locked in Auto and also did not see a difference if I put it in 2WD.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the AWD but keep it locked in 2WD (not AUTO) I've been using 87 as well and on the highway around 60mph (no traffic) I got 29mpg, bumping up the speed to 75 dropped me down to 25.5ish. Stop lights and the car running while parked kills your mpg. At that 17.5mpg my guess is you drive with a heavy foot or you're in heavy traffic.
Ah, okay. The cruise was set at 80, so that might account for the sub-23mpg highway fuel economy.

And yes, I am in very heavy traffic for my commute. 20 miles and takes a bit over an hour. May have a bit of a heavy foot, but the CVT has taken most of the joy out of any hard acceleration... :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's a heavy car - how can you expect good mileage in the city/traffic? Every time you hit the brakes you convert the kinetic energy you've attained by accelerating, into heat. Only some sort of a regen system - like the one on the upcoming Hybrid - will help with that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After 6000km I have on average 16L/100km or 14-15 mpg. A lot of stopngo, shorter rides and spirited on-ramp driving. I don't expect it to go down unless driving longer and at constant speeds... Still it's no better (or worse) than our previous 8 seater SUV, A Toyota Landcruiser Prado 2006 with a very conventional 4L V6 and 5sp AT. Not sure where the difference in mileage would be, while very different tech...???

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
Inconsistent readings

In a related question to this discussion, does anyone know why the rolling average MPG figures in the information display behind the wheel and on the dash monitor are different? They're only off by a few tenths of a mile to a mile, but they're not the same.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In a related question to this discussion, does anyone know why the rolling average MPG figures in the information display behind the wheel and on the dash monitor are different? They're only off by a few tenths of a mile to a mile, but they're not the same.
I've noticed the same. Definitely a software issue and something they should be able to easily correct. I don't use them the same as I use the dash monitor to track monthly averages.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can check on fuelly.com and it gives you a average fuel consumption that is generated from customer reviews.

Fuelly gives the average mpg for the 2013 Pathfinder as 20.6 mpg so your mpg actually is higher than what the average is for the Pathfinder.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
You can check on fuelly.com and it gives you a average fuel consumption that is generated from customer reviews.

Fuelly gives the average mpg for the 2013 Pathfinder as 20.6 mpg so your mpg actually is higher than what the average is for the Pathfinder.
Good to know, but my issue is with the inconsistancy of the gauges rather than their accuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
My mileage was already pretty good, but it has steadily improved as the vehicle has broken in. Right now, I'm showing 20.2 on a tank of about 60% stop and go, and 40% highway. That matches up with the EPA combined rating for the 4WD.

Aside from waiting for the vehicle to break in, you can also improve your mileage by removing items that add weight and drag (bull bars, side steps, roof rack crossbars). Additionally, you can increase your tire pressure to decrease rolling resistance (I usually run my tires around 35 PSI, though the dealer likes to set them at about 37). Finally, the biggest single factor in improving mileage is your own habits.

I recommend setting the VID to display instant MPG readings. This way, you can see how your habits are having an immediate impact on your average MPG (there is a pointer that indicates the average). Try to meter the throttle and keep the line above the average... this will improve your average over time.

Additionally, I've found that the built in MPG monitor is a bit inaccurate - and its accuracy can vary wildly from real-world mileage. Generally, I find it's about 1MPG optimistic, but I've seen it vary as much as 3MPG.

You should reset your trip odometer after each fill-up and divide the number of miles between fill-ups by the number of gallons you put in. You'll get a better idea of real world mileage by averaging those results after several fill-ups. If you need help to do this, there are several smart phone apps both on iPhone and Android to help with this. I currently use GasCubby and have been very happy with it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gas-cubby-fuel-economy-service/id295905460?mt=8

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been testing this since I got the SUV and it's a habit from my previous vehicles to weekly check the mpg. So far I am pretty pleased.

I am in Atlanta traffic 5 days a week, mornings and evenings, takes me about an hour to commute each way and I do not have a heavy foot (only when I get really ticked off or need to) and I am averaging 22.5 - 23.5. I am driving 70% city and 30% highway I would say, maybe even 80/20. When I went to FL for vacay with a filled trunk and 4 people, I averaged 25-27 on cruise at about 70-80mph.

I have also noticed that oil change makes a big difference. I get mine every 5000 miles, and my mileage gets to be lower between 4000-5000 miles, once I replace the oil, it jumps up tremendously. I also use 87 fuel...

What helps me is driving with the meter showing what I am averaging. It got me used to not accelerating when i dont need to, downhill I let it cruise most of the time and you pick up some pretty good habits because of it.

Hope this helps!

*time to give back lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is everyone sure that the computer is completely wrong with MPG calculation? As I believe it is design to take into account idle time (sitting at the stoplight, waiting for the wife and kids). I used to do the same of taking my milage and divide by how many gallons but i see that that is inaccurate as it doesn't account for the many min's/hrs of sitting with the car running. Something to think about.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Is everyone sure that the computer is completely wrong with MPG calculation? As I believe it is design to take into account idle time (sitting at the stoplight, waiting for the wife and kids). I used to do the same of taking my milage and divide by how many gallons but i see that that is inaccurate as it doesn't account for the many min's/hrs of sitting with the car running. Something to think about.
You are absolutely correct, my man! The display in front of you even tells you how many hours and minutes have elapsed with the engine on since you last pushed the reset button. :eek: Yikes!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the simple division will still account for idle time since you are still burning gas. Think of it this way - if you kept your engine running at a gas station for an entire tank of gas, you would see 0 MPG:

0 miles / X gals = 0

The computer *might* do the opposite of ignoring the stopped time, but I am pretty sure it does not. Computer knows how much gas is going into the engine because it's actually measuring it (via pump pressure * injector duration/flow rate).

There is still some possible inaccuracy at the injector flow rate as well as at the pump meter, so they will never completely match up. The only way to know for sure it to burn through a measured gallon of gas connected directly to the pump (no gas tank) and see what the computer will show.

·
Registered
54 Posts
here is an update, this morning when I filled up, I usually reset my miles as well as the mpg meter. I do this weekly, just a force of habit, but I compared the two numbers this morning and this is what I got:

Car mpg showing: 22.1
Miles driven on tank/gallons filled: 21.7

Very close, but I am willing to believe the number NOT provided by Nissan's technology. I will be comparing the two numbers for about a month. I remember I did this before once and the numbers were off by 2 mpg, of course the car's display showed the higher number.

I've noticed one possible explanation as to why the car's number is higher AND not accurate. When you reset the mpg meter, it starts fresh and takes down mpg readings every few minutes. (I need to time the iterations exactly)...so if I happen to have my foot off the pedal, it's going to record a little higher, i've done this as much as I could once and got it to show 37.7mpg...so idk, i'd love some input on this. Maybe someone knows a thing or two as to why this is so and can explain it to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The most recent fuel mileage calculation for my 2013 Pathfinder is 24 mpg, combined highway and city driving in Auto mode. This is based on an engine with 1780 miles on it and was obtained using good old math, not the vehicle's on-board computer. I have made several highway trips at 70 MPH and averaged 28 MPG.
I think if your mileage is as bad as you say, maybe you need a software re-flash or a lighter foot. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts