Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are picking up our new 2013 SL this week. I read someplace that the OEM all-season radials have low rolling resistance to improve gas mileage, so that makes them somewhat less desireable in snow.

If you're heading into a snowy winter where you live, are you planning to buy a set of snow tires or are you going to stick with the all-seasons? :confused:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nah, not in a FWD/AWD. Maybe if it were the old RWD.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have no intention of buying snow tires for my Pathfinder.
The way I look at it is, if the snow gets that bad with your FWD/AWD vehicle and you have to consider snow tires, you shouldn't be out driving in the first place.
I never had any trouble in 22 years of New England winters with my other 4WD/AWD vehicles in the snow with their OEM tires. I only bought snow tires for one vehicle I owned and that was a 1985 Thunderbird Turbo-Coupe. The OEM tires were Goodyear Eagle GTs and terrible in the snow. It handled like a different car with snows all the way around and the Eagle GTs went back on in the spring.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
with the all season tires that come with our PF's you should be fine driving through winter with them, a lot of safe winter driving comes down to how good of a driver you are.

the best way to improve your winter driving skills is to take your PF out to a big parking lot during the first snow fall and start drifting!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
really depends how much snow you get,

if you do get alot of snow it would be a good idea but not absolutely necessary.

it does help and it does make a difference in safety.

my top two pics are the blizzaks or the xice

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Interesting comments here, and totally different from what I expected.

My other vehicle is a BMW 530xi, which is their all-wheel-drive sedan. If I were to ask the same question on a Bimmer forum, I would say that most would respond that dedicated snows would be a good idea. For my part, I DO have dedicated snows for that vehicle. It sounds like most think that not necessary for the PF. Maybe consensus will change as we collectively get more snow experience with the redesign.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've always viewed snow tires as something that increases the margin of safety, not just something to avoid getting stuck.

When you're asking your car to turn and decelerate in the snow, the 4WD does not come into play. Of course the modern traction/stability controls are a huge help, which is probably why we can get away without snow tires most of the time.

However, there is a huge difference between pathfinder tires and tires that come stock on the sportier BMWs - typically high-performance summer models, with very few grooves, and rubber that tends to become rock hard at temperatures below 50, making the tires act like skis in the snow.

I say wait till the first big snow, see if you feel completely comfortable, and then make the decision.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When the snow is ample and fresh on the ground, snow tires make a big difference, but other than that you don't need them. I always buy snow tires for my cars because the only time I have ever crashed is in a big snow fall when my tires wouldn't grip and I just slid into the car in front of me. Better safe than sorry, right?

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
However, there is a huge difference between pathfinder tires and tires that come stock on the sportier BMWs - typically high-performance summer models, with very few grooves, and rubber that tends to become rock hard at temperatures below 50, making the tires act like skis in the snow.
You're probably right there. Most opt to get the dedicated summer tires since they know that they'll be coming off as soon as freezing temperatures start.

I say wait till the first big snow, see if you feel completely comfortable, and then make the decision.
Sounds like a plan...especially since I started pricing out the cost of snow tires, rims, and don't forget the TPMS sensors, which go for $100+ EACH! I could just buy snows and then unmount and remount twice a year, but what a pain!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unless you live up by the Arctic Circle you'll probably find that in most driving situations, the OEM tires will do just fine.
The wait and see attitude couldn't hurt, but as you stated its a real pain in the a$$ to switch out tires and its expensive too. If the roads get that bad...stay off them until the plows have done their job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts