Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Near my home in PA we have an off-road park with a mix of climbs and road surfaces where stock and highly custom Jeeps, Rovers and other vehicles regularly play. I ran my Path Platinum through the course on a "bring your Stock 4x4" charity event (only reason I even went) for novice owners. I entered the Crossover division and you know what it did awesome and better than other crossovers I saw there including a CX-9, Pilot, Kia,Traverse, and a Denali who all struggled through some parts of the course especially on slippery accents. Course had some snow left on it from recent storm the other day. There was uphills, downhills, river crossings, gravel, beach sand, and even a rock crossing. I received some nice compliments on the car from other late model brand owners who had never seen one and now have buyers remorse:D As expected the Jeep Cherokee won with best time/score but this is not a 3 row passenger vehicle and would not call this a crossover -FIX!! However Guess who won Second Place! :D I came home and started looking up videos to make sure I was not imagining what I had just experienced and found off-road tests for the Path. Not surprisingly most of the negative comments are from owners of older Pathfinders that refuse to accept change that every other car maker has been doing along with other brand owners who insist on comparing the car to vehicles in other segments. I did not buy this car to go enter off-road contests or go boulder jumping and if that is your need then maybe a Jeep is your car. However if it can tow the toys, get me around campgrounds through the occasional beaten path all while providing great MPG, comfort, and luxury in the real world then I say Nissan has a winner.

Its been quite a few months now and most of us likely have already had a chance to drive our Pathfinders through its paces and form opinions on what it can really do in the hands of owners other than "Soccer Mom Runs." One of the biggest complaints of critics is that the Path went too soft and abandoned off-road capability with its lower ground clearance and getting away from a truck platform. Nevertheless after my own recent experience, online accounts, and video reviews I must vehemently refute any attempt at calling this car a "Glorified Minivan." and proclaim that I think this is a very capable cross-over SUV at home in the mountains, mud, snow, or paved Suburbia roads where 99% of use actually takes place. What has been your experience and opinions thus far?

A few great videos to assist with your assessment:cool:

Off-Road Tech Demo Review:
2013 Nissan Pathfinder AWD Off-Road Tech Demo - YouTube

2013 Pathfinder Nissan Winter Testing
► 2013 Nissan Pathfinder WINTER TESTING - YouTube

2013 Path Extreme Deep Snow Drive
Pathfinder-in-deep-snow - YouTube

Anybody out there have any experiences?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had my Pathfinder Platinum in snow up to 8", with drifts up to 24". It did very well in going through deep snow and maintaining traction.

When doing that for extended periods of time, however, the differential lock disengages automatically, putting it into a4wd mode, in which it is not as effective.

Also, if you drive aggressively in deep snow in a4wd mode, you may find that the transfer case overheats, and you get a warning light to stop and let it cool down.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pure awesome :)

You showed all of those guys who is the boss around here!

The Pathfinder is very capable offroad. Those who comment about its inability to off-road likely never took it off road. I agree it isn't as capable as the previous generation but it still IS capable of going off road.

Congrats on 2nd.

Now give that baby a nice car wash :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my Pathfinder Platinum in snow up to 8", with drifts up to 24". It did very well in going through deep snow and maintaining traction.

When doing that for extended periods of time, however, the differential lock disengages automatically, putting it into a4wd mode, in which it is not as effective.

Also, if you drive aggressively in deep snow in a4wd mode, you may find that the transfer case overheats, and you get a warning light to stop and let it cool down.
Good Feedback Lawman. Your experience is what I would expected since I know this is not a hardcore off-road vehicle but as you confirmed its still very capable through typical use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pure awesome :)

You showed all of those guys who is the boss around here!

The Pathfinder is very capable offroad. Those who comment about its inability to off-road likely never took it off road. I agree it isn't as capable as the previous generation but it still IS capable of going off road.

Congrats on 2nd.

Now give that baby a nice car wash :)
Thanks it was fun to stick it to the naysayers for sure. Just for laughs I left both the kids Car seats installed in the second row and everyone seemed quite entertained about that! Maybe I should change my call sign here to Off-Roading Dad..:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got wind of another charity event in PA with stock 4x4s so Im going to see if I can bring home a first place for Pathfinder talk and have someone take pics while I am on the course!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That's ridicilous how the Pathfinder can go through snow that deep. Now this just proves the Pathfinder to not only be a great city vehicle but even something for people that live far up north or in area's that get really bad winter weather, also goes to show the new pathfinder still has "pathfinder characteristics". With it no longer being on a truck frame I had my doubts but it keeps on proving it's self worthy.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
all though it was meant for all terrain all the time but yes seldom trip with the pathfinder on the off roads is fun. And this video justifies that the pathfinder can get the job done regardless of the terrains.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
all though it was meant for all terrain all the time but yes seldom trip with the pathfinder on the off roads is fun. And this video justifies that the pathfinder can get the job done regardless of the terrains.
it's what the pathfinder is built for but really 70% of the new pathfinders out their wont be seeing any tough terrarin, i noticed most are daily driven in cities without them being put to use for what they were built around.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not that it isn't capable. I have full confidence I can take the pathfinder off road. I am more worried about ground clearance. As long as you don't take on too big of rocks you should be ok.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not that it isn't capable. I have full confidence I can take the pathfinder off road. I am more worried about ground clearance. As long as you don't take on too big of rocks you should be ok.
I was also worried about this on off-road course but the suspension really adjusted well through the course. The biggest rocks on the course were about the size of softball but nothing crazy big with jagged edges. I would not have driven through if that was the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That video isn't off road. Not even close. The Pathfinder doesn't belong off road.
I've been off roading for decades and the Pathfinder wouldn't last the first 20 feet. Trails and flat hills ain't off road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts