Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
900 Posts
Correct, these ride on a lobe too. It seems like everything has black oil when it's drained out now. I noticed last week draining oil out that wasn't, then I saw that the guy does his oil like every 800 miles, ha.
Seriously though.. Our 2019 turns it's engine oil dirty diesel black in like 1000 miles. I use Nissan filters and either Napa or Supertech full synthetic like I use in all my vehicles. I'm afraid to go much beyond 3000 miles between oil change intervals on the PF.

Luckily oil changes are simple with no lifting or ramps needed for the DIYer. I just snake my hand between the wheel well liner and subframe to get ahold of the oil filter. Oil does spill on the subframe, but it wipes up easy. I'm slow and it doesn't take me more than 15 min including prep and cleanup.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hear ya. I personally would just put synthetic 0-20 in and change it at 5k. People can say what they want about the CVT, but Nissan engines are bullet proof. I can count on one hand how many engines were replaced at the dealership I worked at due to wear, like rings or something. One Pathfinder stands out because they did their first oil change at like 24k miles. It was completely plugged with pancake batter. I did one armada with 100k due to low compression on a cylinder. One altima hybrid that a customer ran with a bad radiator and overheated it and locked it up, and that is all I can remember in like three years. People rarely do their changes as early as 3k. Heck, a lot of them just want conventional 5-30 and change that at 5k, ha.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Totally agree on the engine thing. That's what I suggest to anyone that wants to talk cars and Nissan. Their engines are great. I've always loved the VQ35, it's just this "new" VQ35DD scares me because of the direct injection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So the end of the story is that Nissan did a combustion chamber/fuel injectors cleaning by hooking up some chemical cleaners to the fuel rail and running it. To their credit, they took videos before and after, and it definitely seems cleaner. Very hard to tell about the pinging now that it's cold and I don't drive much with the windows down in the winter, but I'll report back in the Spring. They covered the costs as well, so I have to say that at least they tried...

·
Registered
900 Posts
So the end of the story is that Nissan did a combustion chamber/fuel injectors cleaning by hooking up some chemical cleaners to the fuel rail and running it. To their credit, they took videos before and after, and it definitely seems cleaner. Very hard to tell about the pinging now that it's cold and I don't drive much with the windows down in the winter, but I'll report back in the Spring. They covered the costs as well, so I have to say that at least they tried...
Very curious about this one. It would be interesting to know what they used and where they hooked it up. Hopefully @Tutti57 , one of our Tech experts could shed some light on this..

Reason I say this is the 2017+ Pathfinders with the DD direct injected engine have a very high fuel rail pressure. I'm assuming what ever they hooked up has to be tied in between the low pressure in-tank fuel pump and the high pressure engine driven fuel pump. There's no way it's going in on the high pressure fuel rail.

I have such low expectations here, I wouldn't be surprised if their service was nothing more than spraying something in the throttle body or through a vacuum line. At least this might remove some carbon build up on the intake valves which is a problem that plagues DI engines.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,789 Posts
Found this article that speaks about Top Tier gas:

Top Tier gasoline was developed in 2004 to go beyond the minimum standard for detergent additives to better protect increasingly sophisticated engines from carbon buildup and deposits on the intake valves which can result in a rough idle, acceleration hesitation, knocking/pinging, and reduced fuel economy.

Just went over the 2017 User Manual and there is no recommendation to use Top Tier gasoline.

Would it be wise to use this type of gas and give it a good rev at least once a week to prevent/reduce build up?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I genuinely think there is nothing that can be done to prevent this from happening outside of a design change. I had a 2006 passat that was DI and turbo and they were known for misfires from carbon build up. People tried catch cans, water/meth injection, chemicals, additives, and nothing touches it. The fix was pulling the intake and either scraping off the carbon or media blasting it. I have not seen this on any Nissan yet, but I have definitely seen build up on a Hike that had like 10k miles on it. No running issues at all though.

Companies have come up with shop solutions to help with this that, from what I've seen, all are a media blast set up of some sort.

I can't recall off hand what the fuel rail set up is like on a PF with DI to know how something would be installed. I haven't messed with them much at all, really. I do know that I never recommend any of those induction services myself. My shops have some set up that injects a strong solvent into the intake to do some cleaning. I only have experience with two styles. One connects directly to the valve on the fuel rail, if the car has one, and the chemical actually replaces fuel and runs while it cleans. You know it's done when the car starts sputtering. The other has a spray nozzle with a flexible aluminum tube that you put somewhere in the ducting aiming at the throttle body, after the MAF sensor. It uses shop air to spray a mist out. I hate this style. I'm pretty sure I wrecked an engine at a shop I worked at using one a few years ago. It's hard to tell exactly where the spray is going and can it just pool up. As soon as you start going, WOT or not, the engine can take a big chug all at once. I've read articles where engines have been hydrolocked with this style if there is a tumbler valve in the intake that just collects it and dumps it all at once.

Very reputable professional publications recommend them every 15-20k miles on DI engines, but I just personally haven't seen any evidence that shows that they do much. I believe that they probably clean throttle bodies a bit, since you can watch soot get washed off of them even with cleaner, but that heavy stuff baked on the valves? I don't think so. Dirty throttle body commonly causes p0101 MAF circuit codes.

I'm interested to take a look at a DI next chance I get to see how you might get in there, unless they tapped into the low pressure system and pushed it from there? Maybe there is a kit with a fitting that replaces the pressure sensor to let it in and just runs on a set pressure with that unplugged until you clear the code? I'm not sure.

I think I'd wait until it's time to change the plugs and ask the shop how much more they would charge to clean the valves up while they have the intake off. I'm not sure that carbon in the top of the pistons would be from direct injection. That sounds like more of an oil consumption problem to me. Are you losing oil?

Sorry to George, I misread your question a while back about recommended set ups. I'd just get a cheap bluetooth obd2 dongle and download torque pro for $5. It works well enough for me and can do as much as any other obd2 scanner. And you're right, timing would be pulled if pinging was detected. You should be able to monitor the knock sensors and timing in the ECM with a scantool to see if this is happening. Timing would show up on that basic set up, but not the knock sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this solution still working for you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Pathfinder last week and the ping I noticed at low RPM lead me here. I thought I’d share something I learned after owning a GM vehicle with an engine that’s known to suffer piston failure due to the same thing. What most of us are experiencing and describing is something called Low Speed Pre Ignition or LSPI. It’s caused by oil vapors(and carbon) entering the combustion chamber and igniting. Port injection engines never had this issue because fuel was constantly washing over the intake valve and keeping it clean. With direct injection that’s obviously not happening. The fix for LSPI on the GM cars was to switch to a low calcium oil that was more resistant to pre ignition and less likely to cause carbon build up. This resolved almost all instances of LSPI on those engines. Will it work on the VQ35DD? I have no clue and honestly some of you may be using a low calcium oil already and still experiencing these issues. Just thought I’d throw the idea out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my question is which oil has low calcium as I use mobile one 0W 20 in our 2020 Nissan pathfinder it pings I hear it all the time with the windows down even heard it when the vehicle is brand new 13,000 miles later I still hear it The only time I hear though is low speed low RPM and I hear it more going up a small grade with low RPM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok so a quick search on bob the oil guy said sn+ or any oil with the gf6 certification is considered low calcium oil so the mobile 1 0w20 I use already has that certification and it’s still pings

·
Registered
185 Posts
Has anyone monitored timing or knock sensor data to see if the ecm is detecting anything? I would imagine it would respond fast enough where it wouldn't be happening and you wouldn't hear anything. How sure are we that it's detonation? Does it go away if you run a super high octane like race gas? You can google gas stations that carry it at the pump.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
We're at 45k miles on our 2019 and I haven't noticed any pinging at all on it since we bought it used in Oct 2019 w/ 20k something miles on it. I noticed it for the first week of ownership or so. The only thing different I've done is I've run nothing but synthetic 5w30 engine oil in it, changed at a 3500mi interval. I've used mostly supertech synthetic from Walmart and Nissan filters.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts