Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
l bought PF 2013 about two months ago.
it was a good vehicle until i get to a point where i have to drive up to a mountain.

The way up it show great power and efficiency.

But the way down was extremely disappointed to me. This is what happened:

I switched the gear to L position and the 4wd to auto.
20 miles was the road distance and 25 mph is the maximum speed in best circumstances.

There's no manual gear control available and the vehicle is not equipped with 4L.

As soon as I release the brake pedal the speedometer jumps to 40 mph or more.

There was no engine braking at all and so I had to control the speed by using normal brakes only.

I had to stop 3 times in 20 miles road to let the brake pads get cool again because high temperature could lead to fire.

Tell me now is this vehicle useless or not?
WHAT the point calling it pathfinder 4WD while it is not safe to drive accpet in city roads?

I feel like l just wasted my mony in NOTHING.

The question now: Is Nissan going to do anything about this? Because I already took it to the dealer and they have nothing to do.

Other owners please, what do you think about this issue?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try leaving it in D. I was initially worried how the CVT would perform in the mountains and like you said, up hill was great. When coasting down hill I just left it in D and noticed that when starting down the hill the engine would start braking as soon as I let off the gas pedal. On hills that weren't too steep it could actually maintain speed without the aid of the brake pedal. The steepest hills required using the brake pedal to some extent but I certainly wasn't relying heavily on it. Just try it in Drive, without putting it in L, and see if it behaves differently...if it doesn't then it could very well be a programming issue in the CVT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mr.ugadawg
It is just like you said. The engine braking will be applied when it's not too steep.
But in steepest hills no use of engine braking at all, you have to rely on brake pedal completely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I re tested it again in a steepest hill and I left it in D with OD on. There is a little improvement but still not effective. The RPM was 1.5 at speed of 30 mph.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Must be a pretty steep hill. I disengage OD in those situations. I can't see how 4x4 Auto would help at all. Once moving, most of the torque is applied to the front. 4x4 Lock might help a little as it will keep the rear axle engaged. Every vehicle/technology does have trade-offs though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didn't make it clear.
When I tested it again, the rpm was 1.5 but the car still acceleratiing without touching the accilator pedal.
The engine did about nothing to control the speed so I had to use brake pedal again.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
70 Posts
If correct, that is not good. I just drove a 2013 Ford Edge (a rental, but we own a 2013 PF) down out of Yosemite and was in 2nd and 1st (sport mode) for close to 40 minutes. The Ford engine braking was excellent. I wondered how the PF would do. Can someone read up on what the PF manual says to do when going down hill?

(By the way, sad to say, but the Ford dash is laid out much better than the PF.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another option is to use the tow mode button which changes shift points and adds engine braking. I have noticed how the engine braking does assist braking going down hills while in this mode. You have an interesting dilema which I thought about some as I was deciding on my purchase. I was mostly concerned with trailering a heavy boat and the tow mode sufficed for me. There are no mountains near Wisconsin and the hill in Duluth, MN, (while it is far more impressive than San Francisco) doesn't challenge the capabilities of my Pathfinder. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have't tried the PF on a steep hill yet, but I did drive a 2013 Altima over the Angeles crest highway in LA. It has some steeps on it, and my impression was that the CWT did an outstanding speed control job. I drove that before we got the PF, I assumed they would be essentially the same. I've noticed already that the PF doesn't respond like it did. I wonder if the CVT software guys at Nissan HQ ever talk at the water fountain to cross pollinate their algorithm strategies? The PF could learn a lot from the Altima.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have posted to Nissan about this issue. I still have no reply yet. it just needs more owners complaining about it so they will take it seriously.
If anybody else encounter this problem in his PF, please send them a comment.
More comments=quicker solution
Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed that when driving fast on not too steep hills the engine can control the speed very well, but on lower speeds it does nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank God it is not only me, We were going down hill at around 55 -60 mph and engine rpms just went up to 3k like crazy and started to engine brake. Is this normal? why would it do that?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank God it is not only me, We were going down hill at around 55 -60 mph and engine rpms just went up to 3k like crazy and started to engine brake. Is this normal? why would it do that?
That's pretty much how mine is. Going down hills 45-50, the rpms jump up to around 2000-2500 and the vehicle pretty much keeps it's speed without much help from the brakes. While I don't know for sure, I assume its normal operation meant to cut down on overheating your bakes. I certainly don't mind it because it takes away a lot of the need for heavy braking going downhill and even with rpms at 3k you aren't hurting the engine. Mine operates this way in D and I don't think I've ever had to put in tow mode or turn the OD off, even in the mountains.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is good, my car doing the same at that speed, but how it will function if you are driving on a steep hill at speed of (20mph) or less?
I am sure you will rely on brake pedal exactly as I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is good, my car doing the same at that speed, but how it will function if you are driving on a steep hill at speed of (20mph) or less?
I am sure you will rely on brake pedal exactly as I did.

This is good? I am used to the 5 speed auto and you know how it goes, downhill rpms just drop and car is rolling by itself.

I am afraid that when on downhill RPM's are so high that it might damage cvt.. and also engine will eat fuel like crazy .. no?

Also question, I have 1300 miles right now and have 5 hour trip coming up each way.. do I change oil before I go or after I come back>? And if I do change oil what do I put in it?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
151 Posts

I am afraid that when on downhill RPM's are so high that it might damage cvt.. and also engine will eat fuel like crazy .. no?

Also question, I have 1300 miles right now and have 5 hour trip coming up each way.. do I change oil before I go or after I come back>? And if I do change oil what do I put in it?

Thanks guys
Don't worry about the higher RPM's hurting the CVT, it wont, that's just the "unlimited" number of gears in a CVT at work. As far as the fuel mileage, my experience has been that the negative impact on mpg's is there but it's not huge.

I did the first oil change on mine at 3k miles and the oil was loaded with "glittery" stuff so looking back I probably would have changed it between 1500 and 2k. So if you're about to take a long trip it certainly wouldn't hurt. I would put a good conventional 5w-30 in it for at least the first several changes then switch to synthetic if you desire...others opinions may vary but this is what's always worked for me. You can get a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 5000 5w-30, a good conventional oil, and a purolator filter (L14612) for less than $20...cheap insurance.

Mine only drained 4 1/2 qts the first change, the manual states that some oil usage during break-in is normal, plus I don't think it was totally full from the factory. The manual also states 5 1/8 qts when changing oil AND filter but 5 qts put mine right at the very top of the hash marks on the dip stick...and I've checked it multiple times after, always on level ground, after sitting overnight and its always at the same mark. If you do it yourself, just keep receipts and good documentation for the warranty.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts