Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering a Pathfinder or a QX60 Hybrid, appealing to me is the rather exotic setup on the QX60 (when it comes to hybrids) with an electric motor sandwiched between the supercharged 4cyl and the CVT transmission.

The only thing I'm weary of is towing. We tow our ski boat from the city to the cottage once at the start of season and once at the end, trailered it comes in around 3,500 pounds give or take. Is a Hybrid capable enough or should I really be giving more consideration to the Pathfinder?

Anyone who can clarify please chime in as I'm really on the fence between Pathfinder and QX60, the gizmos in the Infiniti really appeal to the tech fiend in me but functionality is job one here.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers.

FYI were currently in an 08 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pathfinder works well and does the job. Still has nice comforts and is in no way no luxurious.

The JX/GX60 is a step up in luxury and features. Lots of assistance and safety features. Xenon headlights. Lots of goodies.

Downfall? Price.

As for the hybrid I don't think it's meant for towing but I'm sure it can tow a little bit.

You are going to have to look up what the hybrid can tow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So I'm considering a Pathfinder or a QX60 Hybrid, appealing to me is the rather exotic setup on the QX60 (when it comes to hybrids) with an electric motor sandwiched between the supercharged 4cyl and the CVT transmission.

The only thing I'm weary of is towing. We tow our ski boat from the city to the cottage once at the start of season and once at the end, trailered it comes in around 3,500 pounds give or take. Is a Hybrid capable enough or should I really be giving more consideration to the Pathfinder?

Anyone who can clarify please chime in as I'm really on the fence between Pathfinder and QX60, the gizmos in the Infiniti really appeal to the tech fiend in me but functionality is job one here.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers.

FYI were currently in an 08 Ford Explorer
Please don't listen to CFRP as he does not have a newer pathfinder and is a complete message board know it all. The new pathfinder has the same setup as a hybrid as the qx60. The tow limit on the hybrid is 3500 and if you plan on towing and having others in the car along with gear you need to go with the non hybrid. In full the "new" qx 60 and the pathfinder are essentially the same car based on drivetrain and frame. Qx60 comes with additional safety features over the pathfinder they are very similar as far as quality and fit and finish go. Go with the non-hybrid on either if you want to tow, never depend on a 4cyl in any form.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please don't listen to CFRP as he does not have a newer pathfinder and is a complete message board know it all. The new pathfinder has the same setup as a hybrid as the qx60. The tow limit on the hybrid is 3500 and if you plan on towing and having others in the car along with gear you need to go with the non hybrid. In full the "new" qx 60 and the pathfinder are essentially the same car based on drivetrain and frame. Qx60 comes with additional safety features over the pathfinder they are very similar as far as quality and fit and finish go. Go with the non-hybrid on either if you want to tow, never depend on a 4cyl in any form.
Unless Infinite changes its CVT, it cannot pull your boat. The CVT in 2013 were different (PF had a steel belt) and the PF can pull 5000lbs and the JX 3500. I found nowhere that this is changed. I could be wrong, but if I am not, you need to go with the PF. As soon as you add passengers, gas and so forth, you are over the limit on both the Hybrid and Infinite.

I bought the PF for this exact reason.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless Infinite changes its CVT, it cannot pull your boat. The CVT in 2013 were different (PF had a steel belt) and the PF can pull 5000lbs and the JX 3500. I found nowhere that this is changed. I could be wrong, but if I am not, you need to go with the PF. As soon as you add passengers, gas and so forth, you are over the limit on both the Hybrid and Infinite.

I bought the PF for this exact reason.
Thanks for the info everyone, Didnt know they had different CVTs, y'all are right the QX60 wouldn't be able to handle it, those two trips we make with the boat are loaded with summer gear going to and from the cottage.

Besides I'd rather have the piece of mind a 5,000 lb capacity gives you, also frees up options when we begin boat shopping next year.

Cheers again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The CVT in 2013 were different (PF had a steel belt) and the PF can pull 5000lbs and the JX 3500.
The CVT in the 2013 PF has a steel chain, the steel belt is a standard in all the other vehicles like the altima, rogue and so on. I'm guessing this difference was because the steel belts may have been prone to stretching or breaking at those higher weights.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The CVT in the 2013 PF has a steel chain, the steel belt is a standard in all the other vehicles like the altima, rogue and so on. I'm guessing this difference was because the steel belts may have been prone to stretching or breaking at those higher weights.
chains have almost always proven to be better, even in engines, but they probably produce more noise, thankfully there are a number of ways to cancel out that noise in the cabin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts