Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Pathfinder and JX/QX60 share a CVT, albeit there are some differences between the two transmissions. I know forsure the PF is chain driven while the JX/QX60 is belt driven... I've also heard the JX/QX60 has an extra range or ratio (gear)

My question is how come the Pathfinder is seeing all these transmission issues when the JX/QX60 has none of the issues? I've always understood the chain driven applications to be more reliable than their belt driven counterparts?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I wouldn't be able to tell you

But the Pathfinder CVT was designed to carry a larger towing rating where as the JX was not

Don't know if that is the reason the Pathfinder CVT doesn't work as trouble free as the JX.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have been researching the CVT, and hope to post some findings by this weekend. I believe they both use the Jatco CVT8 transmission. One version uses a belt (which I think is in the JX), which has lower towing capacity, and the other version (in the Pathfinder) uses a chain. The chain version is also used in V6 Altimas. The chain version in the Altimas and Pathfinders are the ones with the major problems. It is my understanding that the CVT8s are manufactured in Mexico.

In 2012, Nissan/Jatco did a major redesign of this transmission, which resulted in lower fluid levels and a smaller fluid pump. I think ultimately some of their problems will be traced back to inadequate lubrication and/or fluid pressure in the name of fuel economy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here are a couple of articles on the CVT used in the pathfinder:

Jatco
Jatco

The pathfinder 'high torque' version uses a pull chain instead of a push belt. It's a brand-new transmission, so most likely what we are seeing are its teething issues, and who knows what the real incidence rate is like in the world. What we are seeing on this forum are people with problems looking for an outlet, so the well performing ones will be under-represented.

Jatco used to be owned by Nissan, but I don't think it still is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In 2012, Nissan/Jatco did a major redesign of this transmission, which resulted in lower fluid levels and a smaller fluid pump. I think ultimately some of their problems will be traced back to inadequate lubrication and/or fluid pressure in the name of fuel economy.
Lewist57, you very well may be right. Everything I'm being told now by the service adviser handling my PF is that it's a problem (per his discussions with Nissan) with inadequate fluid pressure within the transmission. The CVT apparently operates off of fluid pressure. All I know at this point is I'd happily take a CVT from a JX or Murano. **** a chain driven CVT and a 5k tow rating, I'd even give up a couple mpgs, just give me something that works.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lewist57, you very well may be right. Everything I'm being told now by the service adviser handling my PF is that it's a problem (per his discussions with Nissan) with inadequate fluid pressure within the transmission. The CVT apparently operates off of fluid pressure. All I know at this point is I'd happily take a CVT from a JX or Murano. **** a chain driven CVT and a 5k tow rating, I'd even give up a couple mpgs, just give me something that works.
.....and what if the real culprit is the fluid pump, and they can't put a bigger one in without a brand new transmission case ( big $$$$$$)? And then they tried to change the torque converter, programming, solenoid pack, etc to compensate for it to avoid a case redesign? Hmmmm, that sounds familiar.......

·
Registered
212 Posts
Like I stated in another thread, I'd gladly swap out a lower tow rated CVT (5000 vs. 3000 pounds) for piece of mind in my Pathfinder.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here are a couple of articles on the CVT used in the pathfinder: ....
Great information here. Thanks.

There was a link from one of the links you posted that I found especially interesting... Nissan

The following statement

Jatco engineers designed the new CVT family with reduced NVH and greater functionality in mind. The unit’s control logic simulates the “feel” of a stepped seven-speed automatic. It includes a “lift foot hold” feature that holds the gear ratio if the accelerator pedal is momentarily released and then reapplied, such as during freeway merging.

Whenever I experienced the shudder it always followed the pattern accelerate, release the pedal, followed by slight acceleration, as in stop and go traffic. I'm not sure what conclusion can be drawn from this other than this may be one more reason why this version of the CVT is having problems.

·
Registered
440 Posts
...Whenever I experienced the shudder it always followed the pattern accelerate, release the pedal, followed by slight acceleration, as in stop and go traffic. I'm not sure what conclusion can be drawn from this other than this may be one more reason why this version of the CVT is having problems.
I might be wrong, but I think only the Infiniti version has the simulated 7 speed feature.

The shudder that happens with accelerate - decelerate - accelerate is probably centered around the torque converter locking and unlocking. I am trying to dig into this a little deeper, but early indications are that one or more components in the hydraulics are undersized and/or underpowered and/or under-lubricated for the chain version of this transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts