Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Pathfinder and Santa Fe were redesigned for 2013, although Pathfinder did undergo more rigorous changes, switching from body on frame, RWD, truck feel to a family friendly FWD, car like feel.

Both come standard with adequate V6 engines with the Pathfinder returning mpg 19 city/24 hwy, while Santa Fe returns a similar 18 city/23 hwy.

Santa Fe has less cargo capacity at 146.6 cf vs Pathfinders 157.8 cf, but both do come with a third seating row. Although when the second and third rows are down for both vehicles the Santa Fe gains an extra 80 cf vs the Pathfinders 79.8 cf.

Both tow 5,000 lbs.

The kicker here is that while the Pathfinder comes with a boggy CVT the Santa Fe has a conventional 6 speed slush box...

·
Registered
100 Posts
resale I think Nissan wins
toys I think Nissan wins
I'd sit in 3rd row on both (if you're planning on using it) and verify that it is a functional size. For us the pathfinder 3rd row is functional for an adult and/or child
don't know about reliability on Santa Fe but warranty wins on that end (i think)
Initial entry cost Sante Fe wins (my guess)

Pick the one that you like best weighing those and other factors important to your usage of the vehichle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bring the whole family and Test Drive them both.:D

·
Registered
440 Posts
We love our Sonata, and waited forever to buy an SUV because we thought we definitely wanted the Santa Fe. We now own a Pathfinder instead, and here's why:

- We wanted a rearview camera. The Pathfinder SV has a 7" screen for under $27k. The choices for a Santa Fe were a GLS with leather and navigation for $32k or a base limited (no nav, 4" screen) for roughly the same price. You can get a Pathfinder SL for that price.

- We didn't want leather, but there was no Santa Fe option with a rearview camera without leather. If we did get leather, we would have wanted memory seats, which are not an option on any trim level of the Santa Fe.

- Our 2011 Sonata has started having some major electrical (transmission, ignition) issues at under 60k miles, and last weekend ended up needing the entire front axel replaced.

In summary, the Santa Fe looks a little better, but is smaller and more expensive than the Pathfinder at any price point, plus is lacking some basic features available on the Pathfinder (and every other vehicle in its class). If they don't drop the price at least $2k on the Santa Fe then it is going to be a major flop.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We love our Sonata, and waited forever to buy an SUV because we thought we definitely wanted the Santa Fe. We now own a Pathfinder instead, and here's why:

- We wanted a rearview camera. The Pathfinder SV has a 7" screen for under $27k. The choices for a Santa Fe were a GLS with leather and navigation for $32k or a base limited (no nav, 4" screen) for roughly the same price. You can get a Pathfinder SL for that price.

- We didn't want leather, but there was no Santa Fe option with a rearview camera without leather. If we did get leather, we would have wanted memory seats, which are not an option on any trim level of the Santa Fe.

- Our 2011 Sonata has started having some major electrical (transmission, ignition) issues at under 60k miles, and last weekend ended up needing the entire front axel replaced.

In summary, the Santa Fe looks a little better, but is smaller and more expensive than the Pathfinder at any price point, plus is lacking some basic features available on the Pathfinder (and every other vehicle in its class). If they don't drop the price at least $2k on the Santa Fe then it is going to be a major flop.
Interesting... How have you found Hyundai service wise? I expect labor rates and what not to be pretty similar between Nissan and Hyundai but im interested in some of the intangibles. The Japanese makers have been known for their legendary customer service, especially Toyota so just curious what it is like on Hyundais end..

What you say about some of the more luxurious standard features on the Pathfinder makes sense when you consider the redesigned pathfinder is just a re-badged Infiniti JX/QX60.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One BIG negative on the Santa FE 7 Pass: Third-row passengers get sub-par safety, no side curtain airbags like the 1st and 2nd row passengers get. For some this may seem like no big deal, but go read the safety section of solid competitors that place safety number 1, like the Honda Pilot - 3rd row passengers are very safe, its like a tank if you consider their "ACE" body structure and curtain airbags. The Pathfinder also has 3-rows of airbags, not just 2 like the Santa Fe.

My kids would be riding in the 3rd row, there's no way I could give them sub-par safety and if we were ever in an accident and they got hurt I'd never forgive myself. Nothing is gauranteed, air bags don't gaurantee safety but they're definately good to have.

Pathfinder wins hands down...shame on you Hyundai for cutting costs on safety, especially when the most likely occupants of the 3rd row will be children!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Interesting... How have you found Hyundai service wise? I expect labor rates and what not to be pretty similar between Nissan and Hyundai but im interested in some of the intangibles. The Japanese makers have been known for their legendary customer service, especially Toyota so just curious what it is like on Hyundais end.
Everything has been covered under warranty, but we are soon going to be beyond the bumper to bumper. The dealer where we bought it doubles the powertrain warranty though, so at least the expensive stuff is covered until we hit 200k... that's the real value.

The service has actually been very hit or miss. My very best and very worst service experiences have both happened at the same dealership. Service recovery has been very good, but much like the great warranty, it's best when you don't need it.

I think Hyundai has gained market share faster than any other car company, at least in the last 20 years. They've really done an incredible job keeping quality and service levels high considering the pace of growth, but they've both slipped some. I think they are also priced more in line with Toyota/Honda now. Not that any of them aren't worth the price, but you are paying extra for a name/reputation. Hyundais used to be nearly as good for much cheaper, but now are probably on par for price and have slipped a bit on quality.

I think they're great looking cars, but Hyundai is really struggling right now to find the right mix of features, quality, price, and overall value.

The Santa Fe is a great example, where they collapsed two models into one, now trying to compete with dozens of cars in multiple classes. The Kia (part owned by Hyundai) Sorento seemed like a better value to us, but the Pathfinder topped them both.

Another example is the Sonata, which is absolutely DOMINATED by the Altima in terms of space/features for the price. Altima SV is at least $1k less than the base Sonata. And while I miss having a ridiculously long warranty, I think I trust Nissan more than Hyundai.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything has been covered under warranty, but we are soon going to be beyond the bumper to bumper. The dealer where we bought it doubles the powertrain warranty though, so at least the expensive stuff is covered until we hit 200k... that's the real value.

The service has actually been very hit or miss. My very best and very worst service experiences have both happened at the same dealership. Service recovery has been very good, but much like the great warranty, it's best when you don't need it.

I think Hyundai has gained market share faster than any other car company, at least in the last 20 years. They've really done an incredible job keeping quality and service levels high considering the pace of growth, but they've both slipped some. I think they are also priced more in line with Toyota/Honda now. Not that any of them aren't worth the price, but you are paying extra for a name/reputation. Hyundais used to be nearly as good for much cheaper, but now are probably on par for price and have slipped a bit on quality.

I think they're great looking cars, but Hyundai is really struggling right now to find the right mix of features, quality, price, and overall value.

The Santa Fe is a great example, where they collapsed two models into one, now trying to compete with dozens of cars in multiple classes. The Kia (part owned by Hyundai) Sorento seemed like a better value to us, but the Pathfinder topped them both.

Another example is the Sonata, which is absolutely DOMINATED by the Altima in terms of space/features for the price. Altima SV is at least $1k less than the base Sonata. And while I miss having a ridiculously long warranty, I think I trust Nissan more than Hyundai.
Interesting, thanks for taking the time BTW. I only ask because we had all but sewn the Pathfinder up for us but when this judder/shudder controversy exploded like miley cyrus twerking we decided to re consider some of our older options and explore a few more.

The Santa Fe was one that we hadn't considered previously, but i figured if i pitched it to the forum some of you out there would of cross shopped the Pathfinder and the Santa Fe.

After reading this and some of the stuff about safety i think its fair to assume we wont be going Santa Fe but i wont rule it out until we both drive it. Likely this weekend.

Has anyone driven the Santa Fe and can share some comparables or complete misses vs the Pathfinder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has a 2011 Kia Sorento, just traded it in on 2013 Pathfinder. While I like the Sorento, it did not have enough leg room in 2nd or 3rd row, Pathfinder blows it away there. Also Pathfinder being bigger, also gets better gas mileage. Have to say features on Sorento audio system are far better than Pathfinder.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a picture of the Hyundai Sante Fe. I'd say that looks wise it measures up to the exterior looks of the Pathfinder.

Im really into the looks of the Santa Fe i do have to say, Hyundai and Korea have been some of the most consistent designs for the last couple of years, but like others have said, safety frist.

I prefer the boxy-angular look compared to the round and flowing design of the pathfinder. I'm just thinking in 5 years the Pathfinder is going to look like most 90s cars look now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts